Question
Why aern't we allowed to use avatars from our own computer? I'm just asking because I have a few good ones on my computer. :ohno: :pig: :kitty:

Matt Confusedhades::paw::coffee:
And she said 'Hoots I cannae get back tae me hoos in Bonny Scotland'
Girl with the Hazel Eyes - Ahhhhhh!
We've turned it off because we can only offer so much bandwidth. Avatars that are in our system don't take up any more bandwidth than the one time it takes to put it in the system. You, using your own avatar, would take up bandwidth every time you post. Since we're privately funded out of the owner's own pocket, and some small contributions from time to time from members like you, we can't afford to use all the functionality of the system. We've restricted things like the avatars, and turned off other items like the chat and message systems.

But we do have quite a selection of avatars to choose from, and we do add to them. We'd also love to have your suggestion for avatars, though we'd prefer them to be associated with the themes of the various forums that we house.

Cheers
Stripe
[SIZE="2"]The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams[/SIZE]
Uploading one's own avatars onto the site is restricted. That's understandable.

How about simply linking to an avatar hosted on another site? Does that affect bandwidth also?
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.
From what I understand, yes.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
celeb-galad Wrote:How about simply linking to an avatar hosted on another site? Does that affect bandwidth also?

That would be stealing bandwidth really. I have found loads of forums and member sites nicking images from my site, and the bandwidth they use shows up on my site stats every day. Bandwidth costs me money, so I have to keep re-naming my images and deleting originals from the server in order that these people dont cost me money :mad: grrr

Not being mean to you there :kiss: just trying to explain why it's not a good idea.
Happy:daisy:
Thanks for the explanation, Flower, and I understand your point, but what I had in mind is sites that offer free image hosting, such as Photobucket or ImageShack.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A question so ridiculous I can't believe I'm asking it. Luthien_001 4 1,680 February 13th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Question on Deleting Posts Rayhana 4 1,272 July 28th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Last Post: Rayhana
  Question About Links Calli 2 1,011 June 28th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Last Post: jadegecko
  Question for Webmaster The_Khan 9 1,537 May 3rd, 2006, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Question for the mods... rudebadger 1 907 November 25th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Last Post: Stripe
  Profile question goshmanhescute 1 795 June 12th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Last Post: missferal
  Question about quotes gemini0521 9 1,031 January 21st, 2005, 02:09 PM
Last Post: RobRoy
  i have a question . . . very important! midnight_darkness 3 794 September 7th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Question on Ignore Feature? Amethyst Essence 2 641 August 26th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Last Post: Amethyst Essence
  Signature question Venefice 2 551 March 17th, 2004, 02:12 PM
Last Post: Venefice