Passing of Andre Norton, March 17, 2005
Folks,

I envy those of you who knew Ms. Norton personally; who have cards, letters, photographs, and gifts that came from her hands. But I still treasure her being and her memory, secondhand though it is, because of the treasure she gave freely to the world: a fabulous imagination and the skill to tell what it conceived.

It may not seem like it now, but time will ease the grief we share. And we're fortunate in at least one way: while Ms. Norton has passed the gate we'll all face eventually, she's left us a priceless legacy by which to remember her. We don't have to rely on our frail memories to keep her with us - she's right there on the bookshelf.

Of course, it's going to be hard to finish reading The Elvenbane through the tears for a while yet. I better call the library and renew it.

Goodbye Andre. You never knew me, but I hope you'll remember me when it's my turn to come and see you. (And say hello to Dad. He was a fan of yours too.)

Dave
Dearest, gentle lady, I find it hard to comprehend you shall no longer fill my world with visions of greater things. You encouragement over the years to pursue my writing held me steadfast, even though I had to turn to iUniverse to publish my first two books.

Go gently into the great unknown. Tread the starlanes gently for I'm certain your spirit has soared beyond this world into that starry void you wrote about so frequently. My prayers are with you and all of fandom and the professional community.

Cary A. Conder
Member: Association of Science Fiction/Fantasy Artists
Farewell, Andre Norton. Confusedo:
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.
Confusedad: I only just heard about the passing of Andre Norton and had to come and say that we have lost one of the greats of sci-fi and fantasy writing.

I started reading sci-fi at age 8 with her book "Catseye" and haven't stopped.

Rest in peace Andre - we will miss you big time. Confusedad:
I was so hoping she would pull through, but so many people warned me not to get my hopes up. You would think I would know better. I haven't felt this badly since my grandmother died.

Andre was one of the first SF authors I ever read, and in fact had it not been for Warlock of the Witch World, Daybreak 2250 A.D. (aka Star Man's Son), and The Last Planet, all of which I read one summer while I was going through a rough period, I probably would never have switched from reading Mysteries to reading Science Fiction and Fantasy. I probably would never have taken an interest in Tolkien and Middle-earth.

Meeting Andre Norton was just the biggest thrill for me. If there were only one other author I could meet, I wish it would have been Tolkien himself. But of the two writers who have most inspired me and whose works have had the most impact on my own writing and imagination, I was blessed to have met one of them.

She was just the most sweet-tempered lady you could picture. She never quite seemed to realize just how much of an impact she had had on the science fiction and fantasy genres -- or maybe she was always in a bit of denial.

When I started creating Web sites, two of the first I made were devoted to the works of Andre Norton. The very first forum Xenite.Org ever hosted was the original Witch World Forum (which has now become this forum, of course). I so wanted the Internet to have a community devoted to Andre's works, because I had rarely met anyone in fandom who didn't know who she was or had not read at least one of her books.

Andre's legacy is not so much the incredible gift and vision she brought to these genres, although her worlds are so vividly described that they will withstand the test of time better than the worlds of many younger writers -- her legacy is really that she proved to be a gateway author in so many ways.

She didn't simply open doors for talented younger women, she introduced whole generations of young readers to the possibilities of What If. She helped prove the viability of some ideas which have now become almost total cliches in science fiction and fantasy (including wars between wizards, lost space-faring civilizations, the difficulties of dealing with time travel, and travel between worlds by unconventional means). She showed us how we can look back to an imaginary past with as much passion as we look back to the real past (which, in many ways, is also imaginary -- because we must use our imagination to reconstruct it).

Andre had a special gift for creating stories, worlds, and characters who reminded us very much of ourselves because they were not super-human -- emotionally and mentally, that is, her protagonists were always just short of being fully developed. Andre's coming-of-age approach to story-telling was never tiresome, but always fresh. She held the sense of discovery in her hand like it was a birlliant jewel, and she allowed it to gleam out into the dreary darkness without reservation.

Thank you, Andre. You touched millions of hearts. You changed many lives, in one way or another.
Merry Meet, Merry Part, Merry Meet Again

Peace dear Lady.

I am ...desolute. I joined here to post, so all those who cared for her can perhaps take some comfort in yet another person to whom Ms. Norton meant much.

My father introduced me to her with the WitchWorld series back in the late 1970s when I was about 12.

After hearing of her passing, I thought what better way to honor her, than to pass that legacy along to my own 12 year old daughter. She is a voracious reader as I was at that age.

She is already into her second of the WitchWorld.

Grand Lady, your legacy persists.
I saw it coming, having been in touch with Sue for the past few weeks, but the finality of it was still a kick in the teeth. I was in Chattanooga Thursday evening, having come in early for Galacticon. I asked if anyone had heard anything and someone told me that the Great Lady, my best friend, mentor,editor, and favorite writer had passed on early that morning. I was sad but relieved in a way, because she was no longer suffering and was free of all pains and woes.
I first came across the name Andre Norton when I was 8(in 1962), I was an indifferent reader. Then my mother took me to the library and told me to pick out a book to check out. I picked up THE STARS ARE OURS and it turned me on to reading big time. I immediately grabbed anything else I could find by this "guy". By the time I found out that Andre was a woman, I was already hooked and didn't care about her gender(normally a big consideration for an 8-year-old boy ie;girls=sisters=ewww). All I cared about was good stories and Ms Norton was a writer you could count on.
In 1989, I found her address and mailed her a picture of my Norton collection(I thought it was huge then). She wrote back and sent some signed bookplates and witch world bookmarks. Thus began a long correspondence.
In the spring of 1990, I made her a mobile. There was a moon with three rings carved out of Mahogany. From the rings hang many glass tiles with an Andre Norton book title acid-etched on each one. This took me two months and there were 118 tiles when I finished. In August 1990, I called her and asked if I could visit and she agreed. I drove the 18 hours to winter Park in my pickup with my wife and daughters. I called around 11AM and she told me to come by around 3PM. We did and were graciously received by Miss Norton and a couple of beautiful abyssinian Cats. I pulled the mobile out of the box and the lady's jaw dropped. She was stunned when I explained that each glass represented a book and that I left 60 holes in the rings for future book titles. The last hole was filled a few years ago, so I gave her the drill bit to make more.
Over the years, we have swapped cards, letters and gifts and I tried to visit two or three timse each year, and She was always thoughtful and generous. She got me published, a debt I can never repay. I am a much better person for having known Andre Norton and the world is a much better place for her having graced it. I will miss her. I have her books, but it is NOT the same. Good bye and thanks for everything Dearest Andre--Paul
Goode :kitty: Cry
Frontiers of any type, physical or mental are but a challenge to our breed. Nothing can stop th questing of man, not even man. If we will it, not only the wonders of space, but the very stars are ours
I am in shock...I just found out that she's gone. I had the great fortune to meet her twice when she lived in Florida. Not suprisingly, she was graciousness personifed, presenting me with signed copies of out-of-print novels I was having problems finding. I still remember her feline friends...my 4 are looking at me, they don't know why I'm crying. Andre had a tremendous impact on my life. Her books & characters were a refuge & companions to a lonely adolescent. All who follow the Light are saddened.
I'm new to these posts. I have been reading Andre Norton since the first Witch World books came out. I have really been out of touch as here it is Feb. 2006 and I just find out she is gone!:teary: No more books from her! This is so hard to believe. I must say "Go in peace Ms. Norton, Grand Lady of Fantasy, you will be missed, you cannot be replaced"
This is so sad; I did not know Andre Norton had passed.
She was one of my favorite SF authors. I always looked for her books.
I was just rereading Uncharted Stars for the millionth time and decided to look her up on the internet.
She was nothing like I had pictured her; she was much more human, nicer.
Mudcat, we pretty much all feel as you do. It was a great loss then, and an even greater one now that she has not been with us and writing for the last almost 3 years. I remember when I first bought one of her books, it was Catseye, and read it. I was hooked then and have been since. I still reread her books over and over again, and enjoy them each time. She was definitely human and treated everyone like a friend. A rare person for the current world. Thanks for posting your feelings...
I kinda wish i had of known she was dead earlier...Im afraid the 1st book of hers that i read was return to quag keep (bought it very shortly after it's release)...unfortunately i didn't read the author's bio (rarely do, thought douglas adams was still alive until 2 months ago) & as such bought another one of her books....i liked them so much i'm afraid i downloaded over 50 of her books from a torrent and started reading them...yes...i know i am bad but i don't have a lot of money...only reason i found out she had died was due to my searching for her site for her next book to come out....Anyway, to get to the point, she was a very good author & I wish i could have told her so...Currently i am reading Quag keep and it is quite good and gives a hint into how gygax meant D&D to be.

Sorry for ranting but i had to wait a week for my activation code, which never showed up so i had to contact a sysadmin. a week is a good amount of time to find out what you wanted to say.I'll shut up.
We all need heros and heroines to give us hope. I think of Andre Norton as the 'soul' of science fiction. Her books kept me going through a difficult childhood. They still inspire me today. Thank you is simply inadequate. She is a shining beacon of light.Confusedun:
Well, Kind Folks. It's hard to believe that it's been five years since SHE left us. She loved St. Patrick's Day. I think it was appropriate that her favorite Holiday should see an end to her suffering. I still miss her and miss finding unusual cat items for her collection. Every time I go to a flea market or antique store and see a really nifty item and think" Andre would like that", it hurts a little to realize that she will not see it. I miss the phone calls and the visits and the long chats. She was truly "good people" as a friend once put it.
Having your favorite writer as your best friend--everyone should be so lucky.
May the Luck of the Irish shine upon all of ye on this fine St. Patrick's Day. Later Kind Folks--Paul
Frontiers of any type, physical or mental are but a challenge to our breed. Nothing can stop th questing of man, not even man. If we will it, not only the wonders of space, but the very stars are ours
We miss you a great deal, Andre, and will always remember your kindness and warmth.
She was a very gracious and unpretentious lady in my experience. I only met her a few times but each time she seemed to be so humble about meeting fans.
Seven a Years--it's hard to believe, sometimes. For me Saint Patrick's day brings mixed emotions. On one hand, this is the day that we said goodbye to one of the nicest Ladys that the world has ever known. On the other hand, I have always liked St Patrick's Day and it was one of her favorite hollidays. I was told that She woke up just after midnight and asked what day it was. Sue told her that it was St. Patrick's Day and she replied "Good" and went back to sleep. Two hours later, she passed away. Her suffering ended on her favorite holliday. I've always thought that it was appropriate that her last word described her perfectly. She was GOOD. Later Kind folks--Paul

And by the way--have a Happy St. Patrick's Day. That's the way she would want it.
I have always hated St. Patricks Day because for years people would go out of their ways to pinch me if I wasn't wearing something green. Andre's passing on this day did not make it any more pleasant for me.
We miss you Andre, and will always cherish the memories of better days when you were with us. We have those memories and all of your ideas put into stories to remember you. We have been blessed.
Luckily this Web site is here for our support. Michael, I thank you for bringing it to life, and giving it the support to keep going.

For all of us who read the words, and discuss the books, The Lady is never really gone.

[Asside to Michael - People pinched you for not wearing green!!!! People are very strange.]
Irene

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HUGE Andre Norton sale - today only! Jerrie 3 148 March 28th, 2021, 09:06 PM
Last Post: Irene
  ebay listing - 70 Andre Norton books for sale chris.hakenkamp@gmail.com 1 345 November 19th, 2020, 09:01 AM
  Andre's Reading Corner - Nobble Warrior Meets with a Ghost Lots-A-Watts 1 184 November 4th, 2020, 08:13 PM
  Andre's Reading Corner - Hob's Pot Lots-A-Watts 0 255 October 23rd, 2020, 11:42 AM
Last Post: Lots-A-Watts
  Andre's Reading Corner - Noble Warrior Lots-A-Watts 3 312 October 3rd, 2020, 11:46 AM
  Andre's Reading Corner - Desirable Lakeside Residence Lots-A-Watts 0 211 September 16th, 2020, 12:30 PM
  Andre's Reading Corner - London Bridge Lots-A-Watts 2 273 September 6th, 2020, 11:40 AM
  Norton Image Project Lots-A-Watts 13 698 August 24th, 2020, 12:33 PM
  Andre's Reading Corner - A Cats Tale Lots-A-Watts 2 350 August 19th, 2020, 01:35 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Andre's Reading Corner - Nine Threads of Gold Lots-A-Watts 2 474 July 18th, 2020, 06:04 PM