The future of the Post
When was the last time you wrote and sent a letter by post, rather than e-mailing?

Is the public POstal service obsolete? I was reading an article about deterioration in postal services in the Untied States.

What shall the future be? E-mails complemented by private couriers (for packages), with Govt run post being dissolved?
:deadhorse:
"A Iluvatarinya! En na pelecco carinyesse!"
"Oh my God! There's an axe in my head!" :worry:

http://www.yamara.com/axe/#Q1
About a week ago, in fact.
An O.B.server
Daily in business and nearly daily personally. Life without the post would be difficult to imagine. :ohno:
inked
"Aslan is not a tame lion. Safe?
No, he's not safe, but he's good."
CSL/LWW
I love sending real mail. Smile The look of someone's handwriting is very personal, and heartwarming. The selection/inclusion of meaningful/beautiful art is exciting. The only thing better than sending a letter or card is getting one! Heart
The only snail mail that I use is for bills and packages. Even then, most of my packages are ordered online.

I hardly ever send actual letters via anything but email.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
I don't send snail mail all that much any more, but I do to a few people now and then. I personally love getting "real" mail. One of the most amazing things is getting a "real" letter from someone you've known only through a forum--it is so much fun. Receiving mail from them makes them seem so much more real--they do exist out there, somewhere beyond internet space. Yet they are still a trifle mysterious, if you haven't met them in person. Oddly enough, two of the three forum people I've actually met face to face, I received snail mail from first.

I must admit to loving email--my email correspondence can be voluminous at times. The mail people around here don't always pick up letters and it's a minor hassle to get to a post office or box. And email is just so darn fast! So magical! So palantir-like!
"Any patch of sunlight in a wood will show you something about the sun which you could never get from reading books on astronomy. These pure and spontaneous pleasures are 'patches of Godlight' in the woods of our experience."
C.S. Lewis
I sent a private letter a few months ago. I don't think the post will ever become obsolete.
Life sucks. Unless bad things happen, you can't be sure you're actually alive.
i write letters and find recieving letters through the post is better than an email. Also we get stuff from Ebay, so we use the postal system quite often.
i think that the postal system is affected by email, but it will survive.
GateWorld.net
Be who you are, and say what you feel. Because the people who mind dont matter, and the people who matter dont mind. Smile
The postal system is vital for my area of work. And all the stuff i get from eBay. Birthday cards for relatvies scattered around the country are nicer to be sent by post i think. Its only really letter i dont send anymore and if everyone stopped doing that, i dont think it would be enough to make the postal system become obsolete.
Save a tree! (eat a beaver)
I sent a letter via snail mail to my friend two days ago actually. I don't usually e-mail her.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Video: Foods of the future, upcycled Michael 2 441 September 22nd, 2020, 06:16 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Video: Preparing for the sport of the future - Mech Racing Michael 2 478 September 11th, 2020, 08:27 PM
  Laying the ground for future technologies Michael 2 586 July 6th, 2020, 01:48 AM
  Interwebometry on the Future of the Internet Michael 0 344 July 2nd, 2014, 09:18 PM
  Portugal building city of the future: PlanIT Valley Michael 0 668 May 3rd, 2012, 10:40 PM
  Morgan Freeman talks with Huffington Post about the Universe Michael 1 528 June 25th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Last Post: inked
  Xenite's future Agaricus 3 799 April 11th, 2011, 11:25 AM
  post a question and answer... whizz 1 481 August 1st, 2005, 12:33 PM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Another n00b post by your average common or garden n00b. Neeku 2 436 December 23rd, 2004, 02:51 PM
Last Post: sarahloui
  Post Pics xCraZyinLovE519x 2 551 October 25th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Last Post: Stripe