Where were you *20* years ago? (the answer: watching Back 2 Back Action!)
And it has indeed been...... 16 years ...since Back 2 Back Action premiered!
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
21 years since Star Trek: Voyager, too. Crazy, huh? I'm still waiting for that Cleopatra 2525 reunion!
[COLOR="#0000CD"]EEEEK! :eek: :jawdrop: :thud:

It's been 17 years!

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=439&d=1484678651]

Here's the Cleo theme song to kick off the celebration:

Cleopatra 2525 From YouTube
SF-Fandom not responsible for video content

SF-Fandom reserves the right to remove inappropriate video content from its discussions. YouTube may remove the video from its service without notification.
[/color]

Attached Files Image(s)

August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
Followed of course by the Emmy-nominated Jack of All Trades theme song!

Jack of All Trades From YouTube

SF-Fandom reserves the right to remove inappropriate video content from its discussions. YouTube may remove the video from its service without notification.
Jack of All Trades ended before its time. I wish they had given it several more seasons.
Were there more syndicated shows on when Jack & Cleo started than there had been when Herc & Xena began? While there weren't any juggernauts like TNG or Hercules/Xena, there were still a bunch of syndicated shows on in that timeframe. Over saturation of the market while it was in a decline?
That is absolutely true - most died after once season - Sinbad, Queen of Swords, Conan, Sheena, and Robin Hood, while others thrived for a few years, like Lost World,
Earth Final Conflict, and Beastmaster. Plus, Stargate and Farscape were becoming more popular. So even if each of these only siphoned away a few hundred thousand
viewers, that's the margin shows that try to attract maybe 3-4 million viewers need to be successful. Plus, indie stations were quickly becoming UPN and WB stations,
meaning more people could see Voyager, Buffy, Angel, and Charmed, and get their fantasy/sci-fi fix that way, rather than having to track down Xena and Back 2 Back
Action at 3 PM on a Saturday or 1 AM on Sunday. Plus, When Kevin Sorbo left Hercules - thereby creating the need for Jack and Cleo to take its place - a lot of
stations picked up his new show, Andromeda, and ran it instead of Jack and Cleo.
Syndicated shows took a beating for a number of reasons. For example, "Queen of Swords" was determined to be a blatant ripoff of "Zorro" and Sony let it slide only when production ceased (leaving the first season on a romantic cliffhanger).

I think production quality suffered overall for a number of reasons. They were "using 90s tech in the 2000s", so to speak, and people started to demand better production values (which was probably not fair). Network shows like "Farscape" and "Charmed" had more money, although I think "Charmed" was about the same quality as the syndicated shows.

It's hard to say. There were so many changes in American television during the early 2000s that you can't put everything that happened into one neat, tiny corner.
If I recall correctly, my local stations started airing reruns of big network shows like CSI in the spots where they would have aired syndicated stuff, too. I'm guessing many other stations across the nation did the same. Reruns of CSI probably pulled better numbers than the syndicated shows did, so it was a ni-brainer for them.
Boomstick Wrote:If I recall correctly, my local stations started airing reruns of big network shows like CSI in the spots where they would have aired syndicated stuff, too. I'm guessing many other stations across the nation did the same. Reruns of CSI probably pulled better numbers than the syndicated shows did, so it was a ni-brainer for them.

Yep, although reruns of big-name primetime shows in syndicated slots was always a big thing - in my childhood it was Bonanza and Gunsmoke, although those were still going in primetime.
That's the lure of producing direct-to-syndication shows - you sell directly to the local channels, eliminating the middleman, which for CSI would be CBS, who wants to make money too.
There was kind of a domino effect once Alliance Atlantis folded, too, since they produced or distributed half the later syndicated shows.
The week of January 17th, 2000 - watch and win!

Attached Files Image(s)

august Wrote:The week of January 17th, 2000 - watch and win!

:clap:

I'll have to bust out the DVDs this week and watch a few episodes of Cleo and Jack.
And sure enough... it's been [COLOR="#0000FF"]19 :jawdrop: :thud: years![/COLOR]
Jack of All Trades was a fun show. What a shame you can only stream online via the occasional bootleg site. Or is it back on Hulu or Netflix now?
It doesn't seem to be, but I'm not the master of the search feature for those.
I don't consider myself to be much of a master of bootleg video search. I was familiar with a couple of sites but they have since moved or shut down. I used to watch NewWho on Vimeo but they started injecting so many commercials into the streams that I gave up. And Amazon Prime picked up the show anyway.

I don't think H:TLJ, X:WP, Cleo, or JoAT have made it onto any online streaming services. I would guess that is a business decision somewhere among the companies that owned them. Seems to me they are missing out on revenue.
And yes - it has now been 20 years.

As well as 15 successive years of commemoration.

Here's an ET premiere for Back to Back Action, debuting this weekend, 20 years ago!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_0IkK9tO38
(January 18th, 2020, 05:28 AM)august Wrote: And yes - it has now been 20 years.

As well as 15 successive years of commemoration.  

Here's an ET premiere for Back to Back Action, debuting this weekend, 20 years ago!  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_0IkK9tO38

Ah, Entertainment Tonight and syndicated television action-adventure-comedy shows. It was a simpler time. It was a better time.  Big Grin
And here is the first commercial promo:

Back2Back From YouTube

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Josh Becker is back in action with "Morning, Noon and Night august 4 667 June 6th, 2019, 08:33 AM
Last Post: august
  22 years of Xena Warrior Princess :O august 6 691 September 18th, 2017, 10:33 AM
  The band is back together! Ted Raimi joins Ash vs Evil Dead for Season 2! august 1 489 February 12th, 2016, 04:03 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Sam + Rob's "The Possession" (formerly Dibbuk Box) opens 8/31 (after 8 years!) Tobias 7 1,241 September 7th, 2012, 03:23 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Bruce Campbell reflects on the Evil Dead, 30 years later, in the LA Times august 0 475 September 28th, 2011, 10:13 PM
  Darien Takle's message to the fans after 9/11, ten years later august 0 509 September 12th, 2011, 07:34 PM
  "Sam Raimi is directing..." rumor # 8 - live-action World of Warcraft? august 7 1,548 October 24th, 2010, 03:20 PM
  Calling all Seeker fans - Phase 2 of People's Choice campaign now in action Michael 0 660 October 23rd, 2010, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Ted Raimi Back For More (in 2.12 "Hunger") repeating weekend of 8/21 Boomstick 9 2,202 August 18th, 2010, 11:43 AM
  Bruce is back w/ new Burn Notices episodes, and Sharon Gless reunites w/ Tyne Daly! AustinsAunt 5 847 February 12th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Last Post: Fantasylover