The Core
Quote:Originally posted by glass butterfly
y'know..as bad as this movie sounds, i still want to see it. is it already out or is it being released this friday?

Hey Glassy.Smile It was just released this past Friday (the 28th).

I want to see it too. I like those kind of (as my dad calls them) "disaster flicks." :bg:
Hehehe I agree with Glass Smile It is such a predictable movie :bg: Btw my hometown in Indonesia is very near to Krakatoa
Man who drop watch in toilet bound to have shitty time
I am with glass butterfly, as stupid as it looks, I wanted to see it. We went last night and just my luck that the one time I treat my family to a movie it turns out to be such a load of DEWDEW! It was visually entertaining. That's all I can positively say about it.

And I completely agree with Rob. This was Armageddon going down instead of up. Plot holes? Who cares! We have UNOBTAINIUM!!! WOOHOO! :lol:
Listen to the anguish of a world in which the bad things are coming out of the dark places.
Listen to a world in pain. Listen.
You can hear it.
-- Sound and Fury, Sandman by Neil Gaiman
The Core is pretty much a study in how to make an action/disaster movie of epic proportions. Armageddon had a big rock aimed at the planet (and so did Deep Impact though that movie lacked in so many ways) and Independence Day had aliens. But what is key in these movies is that you have a seemingly irrestiable force that it simply doesn't seem possible to overcome. You have to destroy a lot of major historic or geographic icons; apparently this lends credence to the theme of "the Eartsky is really falling" and you need some cute main actors, two of whom, with any luck, will be romantically involved by the end of the show.

That's The Core in a nut-shell. The plot is pretty simple: the core of the Earth has stopped. That is apparently a very bad thing, and anyone not wearing two-million sunblock is in for a pretty bad day. A plan so crazy that it just might work is hatched, and then re-hatched, and an incredible journey to the center of the Earth is under way.

Meanwhile, thousands of people are dying in variously incredible and horrible fashions, all the while the U.S. government, conjunction and cooperation with the rest of the world's governments are keeping the whole thing reasonably hush-hush to your average citizen. Yyeah, that plot-hole I drove the Ringling Bros. Circus through . . . sideways.

But fear not. Our crack team of interpid explorers/Earth-saviours, are on the case. They have to pilot their ship through inner-space, land on the asteroid, drill down . . . oopps, sorry, Armegeddon always creeps in there. But, to be fair, there is an "asteroid" scene (yes, deep in the Earth) and they do have to do some cutting of strange crystal. But unfortunately, Ben Affleck isn't there this time to save the day.

Still, even without the likable curmudgeon of Bruce Willis, the actors still manage to pull of a reasonably believable show. So long as you aren't gonna dig too deep for either meaning or logic, this is a lot of fun, and you should catch it on the big screen. Disaster movies just need the big-screen like they need massive events of a cataclysmic nature to be completely effective.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Yeah, we all know how it's gonna end anyway, we're just there for the ride!! Wohoooooooo! :fright: It's like getting on a roller-coaster, we know we're gonna be all right! Smile
I think I posted about Rat's line about "I'm gonna need an unlimited supply of .... tapes and Hot Pockets." Or maybe I meant to and then dreamt that I did. I dunno. Anyway, when we first saw the preview, it was "Star Trek tapes", then in another preview it was "Spongue Bob tapes", and then in the final cut of the movie it was "Xena tapes". I was just wondering, did they put different lines in other theaters?
Listen to the anguish of a world in which the bad things are coming out of the dark places.
You can hear it.
In our theatre is was "Xena Tapes".

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Quote:Originally posted by summer
Yeah, we all know how it's gonna end anyway, we're just there for the ride!! Wohoooooooo! :fright: It's like getting on a roller-coaster, we know we're gonna be all right! Smile

Do we....?:anxious: Perhaps they'll surprise us and actually finish the earth off for once!:bg: :bg: :bg:

Oh, but that would mean no sequal!:ohno:
:alien: Sci-Fi needs reality TV as much as it needs a Hammer! :mad:
Just once I would like to see an alternate ending on the DVD wherein everything goes incredibly wrong and the whole planet is shown from a distance blowing up.

Man, that would be good theatre!

I sat there SO wanting them to fail and die down there. But darn, they suddenly get hit by a brain surge and figure out how... blah! Anyway, I thought the same thing Rob, "damn it'd be cool if the sun just cooked us all after we fell through the crust in 20 richter scale earthquakes."

:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:
You can hear it.
In our theatre it was Xena tapes, but apparently the Hot Pockets are universal. When they showed the "tribute" footage of The Birds,
To view, use your mouse to select the text:
I initially thought it would have something to do with the planet's poles shifting and that everyone was going to have to get to the Earth's iron core to remagnetise it or something.
All in all, I thought the film rocked. I went with a friend and her two daughters and they were nailed to their seats. All in all, an exciting afternoon was had by all.
Myopia through Convexed Harlequins
Quote:Originally posted by RobRoy
Just once I would like to see an alternate ending on the DVD wherein everything goes incredibly wrong and the whole planet is shown from a distance blowing up.

Man, that would be good theatre!

Heheheheheh :laugh: :laugh: That'll be so cool!!

Berriepicker : Hehehehe same here

BlueDelvia : I agree with you there, mebbe on the DVD they have an alternate ending like what RR said! :bg:
Oh...:ohno: this film is already out! Blush

I've been so busy I hadn't noticed!:anxious:
Quote:Originally posted by BlueDelvia
Oh...:ohno: this film is already out! Blush

I've been so busy I hadn't noticed!:anxious:

You mean The Core? Hehehhe :laugh: When did you think it was gonna open?
Quote:Originally posted by summer
You mean The Core? Hehehhe :laugh: When did you think it was gonna open?

I thought it was still a month away! :bg: :laugh: How time flies!
It's the greatest geologocal movie since "Volcano".
*thinking of the many parody names possible*
i saw it yesterday and i thought it was alright. worth going in matinee hrs...that's all i got to say. :tongue:
I saw it just now! Well whadyya know, NASA saves the day again how unpredictable. Rolleyes Anyways, it was quite a rough ride, but I loved the scientist Dr Zimsky, although he was a jerk at the beginning!

Still waiting for that DVD maybe there's an alternate ending Haha!
This movie also made me scared of pacemakers, the heart implant

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Core -- my thoughts Michael 15 1,019 January 18th, 2004, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Tsargrad