Kids
An interesting fact, just to throw it into the mix, the more education you have, the fewer children you are likely to have.

And, since it's my personal cause, if you're interested in so many children, have you considered fostering or adopting? In the U.S. alone there are some 500,000 children currently in the foster care system. They are more likely to remain in the system, spending an average of only two or three years in a particular foster care home before being shuffled off to another home.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
RobRoy Wrote:An interesting fact, just to throw it into the mix, the more education you have, the fewer children you are likely to have.

I wonder if that's because if one has a better education, one had a better job, and less time with children? I do know of one family where the dad has a PHD and the mother has a masters with 6 children, the oldest of which recently got nominated by a senator to go into any of the military branches.
An O.B.server
Generally, it is the knowledge of how to space or plan children with various reproductive contraception techniques and the intention to limit family size. In the largely agrarian economies it makes sense to have many children as workers and as insurance for care in old age. That is less necessary in the industrial societies and declining birth rates there were noted throughout the last century. The average family size in Europe as a whole is less than replacement needs, around ~1.8 or so, IIRC. That's one reason for large scale immigration there. In the US the average family size is slightly over replacement size ~2.3 children per family, IIRC. Those numbers would be larger in underdeveloped countries. In China the rate is actually held to less than replacement as I understand as government policy.
inked
"Aslan is not a tame lion. Safe?
No, he's not safe, but he's good."
CSL/LWW
When I got into my later teen years I wondered about meeting the right person and starting a family, at the time it seemed a right thing to at least start pursuing. Five or six years on I'm completely opposite and not interested in starting a family at all.

I'm quite happy to be on the single circuit, perhaps its a selfish way of looking at it but I'd rather be honest and say I'm too interested in my own life to bring a child into the world and deal with their life instead.

Problem is I'm great with kids, I have a neice and nephew who I adore, love them to pieces, so everyone expects me to settle down and start a family and are surprised to hear my views in those conversations. My friends are always trying to set me up, want to see me happy and settled. I appreciate their thoughts, I do wonder if they think I'm lonely because I'm not in a relationship or the least bit interested in starting one up.

Perhaps my opinion will change over the next few years, after all as your situation changes so do you.
O.B.server Wrote:I wonder if that's because if one has a better education, one had a better job, and less time with children? I do know of one family where the dad has a PHD and the mother has a masters with 6 children, the oldest of which recently got nominated by a senator to go into any of the military branches.

I don't know that with a better job comes less time for or with children. All of the professors that my wife interacted with in pursuit of her PhD had a range of children, but all of them made it a point to spend as much time as possible with their children. <shrug>

I think, it's a number of factors, as inked pointed out:

Understanding the pressence and proper use of birth control
Ability to plan for children
Understanding of the financial impact of children
Understanding of the impact on children by certain financial demographics

And so on. I'm sure we could throw a whole list of other things into the mix as well, such as the desire to do things singly, or as a couple without children. A desire to be a married couple for a few years and figure all that out before adding children to the mix. A fear of divorce, and the impact that has on children, when the marriage isn't firmly cemented beforehand. And so forth.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Well I love all my children more than anything, and wish I could have had more, and I have returned three times to tertiary to study different things. I'd spend the rest of my life learning if I could.
"...in the Halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live forever..."
Kids are wonderful!!. I have 2 with another on the way. They just brighten your day and make you laugh.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Disney making Tv Movies for bored kids badlands 2 527 April 24th, 2020, 08:55 AM
Last Post: august
  Company announces Dragons vs Robots game for young kids Michael 0 535 September 17th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Music and Motorcycles for Kids Themis 0 528 October 6th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Themis
  Nicole Kidman and sister Antonio had secret language as kids Michael 0 1,230 September 18th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Doctors say roller shoes injuring kids RobRoy 2 528 June 5th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Tech creates a bubble for kids RobRoy 2 436 June 26th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Last Post: sarahloui
  What is the length of vacation for school kids? afro-elf 10 763 January 15th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Last Post: Camech
  The fat kids play video games DeamondBleed 7 779 December 24th, 2003, 02:56 PM
Last Post: Lindzee508
  Do you want kids? afro-elf 69 2,692 March 17th, 2003, 05:36 AM
Last Post: Marie
  Spanking kids yeah or nay afro-elf 40 1,920 February 25th, 2003, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Steve S.