Having problems with accents
We are beta testing new forum software. It should, hopefully, be available for general use in a few weeks. I cannot primise any improvement in the display of special characters, but if you will post instructions on the keystrokes you are using, we will test it for you. Also, I know some of the moderators are better informed on these kinds of issues than I am. I'll make sure we discuss it in the next couple of days if no one else replies to you. I will be traveling on Monday, January 3, so I will be offline until Tuesday (maybe I can check messages Monday night, but I cannot promise anything).
The Logged Out status does not sound normal. Try clearing your cookies and logging back in again.

As for the alternate key sets, it appears that the forum software is capturing the codes, but your computer (and mine) doesn't have a compatible font set. Maybe.

I will see if we can get this to work on the new forums.
Quote:Originally posted by Michael
The Logged Out status does not sound normal. Try clearing your cookies and logging back in again.

As for the alternate key sets, it appears that the forum software is capturing the codes, but your computer (and mine) doesn't have a compatible font set. Maybe.

I will see if we can get this to work on the new forums.

New forum?

I'll try clearing the cookies.

Tapadh leat a charaid. / Thanks my friend.Wink

MacPhee
Here is a test of pasting an accent in to the forum text from Word:
Insert -> Symbol then I hunted for the é

Test of using special characters.

Andre + accent ague = André

If you want to use these special characters. I suggest that you enter your text into Word, and then cut and paste into the Forum "Your Reply" field.

Ááç These look OK in the edit mode. A, a with accents and c-cidele
[It's been 30 years since I took French.]
Irene
Okay, I found a guide on using the ALT keys here:

http://www.starr.net/is/type/altnum.htm

Experimentation shows me that ALT + 0225 will work, but not ALT + 0224 or ALT + 0226.

The problem appears to be due to a Windows configuration issue. I am using Windows 2000 Server, for what it's worth.

á

If I use ALT + 0224, my browser switches back to the previous screen as if I had clicked on the BACK icon. If I use ALT + 0226, nothing seems to happen at all.
ß

Okay, the way I was able to produce this character was to click on my Windows START button, then on PROGRAMS, then on ACCESSORIES, then on SYSTEM TOOLS, then on CHARACTER MAP. I clicked on the character and then on the SELECT button. The character then appeared in the little "Characters to copy" box to the left, and I cut-and-pasted it into this message.

NOTE: On edit, I see the problem. The forum script seems to be changing the character.

â

Same with this character.

I don't know of an easier way to make this work. I am sure there are people who do, but I don't know if they hang out here.
For what it is worth, I still cannot use the ALT + 133 combination in the new forum, but the cut-and-paste worked fine. So, the problem appears to be due to the browser's interpretation of that keystroke combination as equivalent to the BACK button. I don't know if the browser can be reconfigured.

But at least the cut-and-paste trick works in the new forum software, so in a couple of weeks, you'll be able to do it with some annoyance.
Quote:Originally posted by MacPhee
New forum?
Forum upgrade actually. The software has been upgraded and we currently have an installation of the upgrade so we can see what it looks like and test how it's going to behave, that sort of thing.
:hello:"Will all of you who would like to die immediately and save yourselves the inconvenience and discomfort of being chased down and slowly hacked to pieces please step forward!"
Polgara as Barak
The Mallorean - Book 2
Hello.

Thanks Michael and Dixie for your replys and help.Smile

MacPhee

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Forum problems Help Stripe 1 1,002 July 21st, 2008, 08:55 PM
Last Post: gemini0521
  Problems with PW celebgalad 3 591 September 27th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Email problems still happening Maciliel 3 637 May 16th, 2003, 02:24 PM
Last Post: CJ~
  Am I the only one w/ posting problems? Dixieberry 2 585 April 9th, 2003, 05:47 PM
Last Post: Dixieberry