Info on Spidey *3* - premiering May 4th
Yep, it's 2+ years away.... but gotta start this topic sooner or later!

Fascinating tidbits from Sam at Sci Fi Wire.....

apparently, he and Ivan (who collaborated on AoD and evidently ghost-wrote a fair amount of Spidey 2) are doing it very differently now: working on a fairly complex storyline, going so far as to storyboard it out... without even knowing who the villain is going to be! And eventually, they'll hire a screenwriter to write out the nuts and bolts of actual dialogue. This may well have been the process that Rob and R. J. Stewart used on Xena: farming out "dialogue" duties to assorted staff people.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
Should be interesting. As I recall, Sam wants this to be his last Spidey movie, so they'll go out with a bang. If they can improve on #2, I'll be impressed.

The first movie was ok, but I didn't think it earned the hype.

Second one won me over hook, line, and sinker, though. Fantastic film.
Sam, on his influences:

'Spider-Man' director enjoys putting his spin on the comic classic

December 6, 2004

By Andrew Dansby, Houston Chronicle

"Spider-Man "director Sam Raimi remembers "Fantastic Voyage" with detail that reflects the romance and enthusiasm that informs his life's work.

Raimi, 45, saw the 1966 film - ” an imaginative tour of the human body from the inside ” - at an old theater in his hometown of Detroit.

"On the rare occasion that we'd go to a movie, we'd dress in suits and ties," he said during a conference call. "When the curtain parted, I think I remember that some type came up. I was too young to read, so my father read it to me.

"'You are about to take a journey that no man or woman has embarked on before.' I believed it was real. It was a terrifying and exciting and triumphant experience by the end."

"A lot of ("Spider-Man 2"'s plot) came from Stan Lee's "Spider-Man" No. 50 story line where Peter got sick and decided he wanted to be Spider-Man no more," Raimi says. "The theme of the piece was a life out of balance: the commitment to do good and satisfying your own needs as a human being to be happy."

Raimi doesn't just have two winners on his hands. The "Spider-Man" films have grossed approximately $1.5 billion worldwide. He's begun writing the third, trying to create new adventures for Peter Parker and also deciding which villains will make their bows.....

"(After the third film) it will depend on if I have this great love for (him)," Raimi said. "To me, it's always a coming-of-age story. He's got life lessons to learn. If I have as much passion for this character as I do right now, you'd have to fight me off with a stick."

Read the rest here .
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
Sargent To Pen Spidey 3

Sony has signed Oscar-winning writer Alvin Sargent to write the third installment of Spider-Man, with an option to write the fourth movie as well, Variety reported...

Sargent got sole screen credit on the sequel, but also did uncredited rewrite work on the first film, which was credited to David Koepp.

Koepp took a crack at writing the first draft of the sequel, followed by Smallville creators Alfred Gough and Miles Millar and then author Michael Chabon. Sargent then was brought back and wound up with sole script credit, the trade paper reported.

Read the rest at Sci-Fi Wire .

From http://u.presstelegram.com/Stories/0,141...61,00.html - more on "The Grudge" -

"...as for that other numbered film, "Spider-Man,' Raimi is working on No. 3, and he isn't tiring of Peter Parker in the least.

"You know, as a director it's hard to get jobs,' he explains. "Then I finally had a hit like 'Spider-Man,' and after 21 years in the business I never expected to have a hit like that. ... I know it's not going to last. I'm not going to delude myself. But for this brief time, I can keep making the next movie. ...

"I don't talk about this very much, but I love just having a job that I can jump right into and keep working. And I happen to love this character ... there's so much to tell. It's like a kid's dream to make a 'Spider-Man' picture. So I'd be happy to make many 'Spider-Man' films as long as they'd have me.'
=================================

And speaking of "Spidey 3," from http://www.nowplayingmag.com/content/view/772/2/

"..... while Raimi's spider-sense was tingling, keeping him from revealing too many details about the next Spidey film, he did confirm for us that a villain for Spider-Man 3 has been settled on.

"Alvin Sargent is writing the screenplay right now," Raimi says. "Im not supposed to [talk about the villain]. When Sony Pictures decides to release the villain they do it in conjunction with Marvel Comic books. Avi Arad is the president there and my producer, and they're really the ones that decide how they're going to present this to the fans of the comic and they love doing it with a lot of drama and a big splash. So they consult with me, but it's really something they really want to please the fans and do it in a very particular way."

Raimi comes across as a nice enough guy, so it's easy to let such doubletalk pass, but a bit more persuasion from Now Playing's editors did get the filmmaker to discuss how he decided on the villain for the next film - whoever that villain may be.

"What I did was, when I worked on the story with my brother Ivan, I determined what journey I felt was most important for Peter Parker to take," he says. "He's a young man so this is a coming of age story and he's on a journey to becoming a more responsible adult in each of the movies. And I tried to determine with my brother which human faults would be displayed in this particular story that Peter Parker would have to exhibit, and then recognize that he had that fault, and then try to grow and develop as a human being as somebody who could overcome that fault. So once [we] determined Peter Parker's journey, we tried to determine a villain that best presented some aspect of that fault so that he could literally stand in the way of the growth of Peter Parker."

A lot of fans have high hopes that the villain in Spidey 3 will be Venom, a more modern foe for the wallcrawler than the first two films' Green Goblin and Doc Ock. Of course, Raimi isn't saying whether we'll see the symbiote-suited Venom in the next film or not, but he does explain that the choice of villains also comes down to a balance between character and the cool visual aspect that modern special effects allow (and that would surely make for an amazing Venom, by the way).

"Absolutely we wanted to have a villain not only who would fulfill the character needs but somebody who could entertain the audience on a visceral level and provide great visuals, something we haven't seen before, and create a real challenge and great foe for Spider-Man and his unique spidery, spider-like powers," says Raimi..........

That's really strange. They set up the ending of #2 to imply that Harry would come back as Green Goblin, Jr., and yet they've been going on about how they weren't sure who the villain was.

Either they would have to resolve the Harry storyline as a secondary plot (perhaps as an extended opening teaser), or they would have to risk irritating the audience by ignoring the Harry storyline altogether (or perhaps just stringing the audience along with a little Harry angst, leaving him as an option for #4).
OK, this has *got* to be a first.

We now know who's playing the villain....but not what villain he's playing! :confused:

The Hollywood Reporter just reported that Sam has cast Thomas Haden Church (Oscar-nominated for "Sideways," but we'll always remember him as the weird-collar-wearing Ned from "Ned and Stacey," and the dim airplane mechanic Lowell on "Wings") as the main villain in "Spidey 3."

Quote:"In addition to the ongoing relationship between Peter Parker and M.J., these films are driven by the great actors who have brought our villains to life," Raimi said. "Thomas Haden Church will be a fantastic and challenging new nemesis, and we all look forward to working with him."

The filmmakers are not revealing the identity of the new villain.
I've been trying to figure what villian he'll play. I'd say the Lizard guy, but it seems like that'd be a bad choice for several reasons. One, IIRC, he was a scientist, which is too much like Doc Ock. Two, a lizard looks a bit goblin-y and they may not want that visual connection. Three, they'd have to do extensive make-up or have him entirely CG when he's in Lizard mode, and I don't see them doing that.
Well, let's see, classic spidey villains are, Mysterio, Electro, the Vulture, the Lizard, the Rhino, King Pin, and Scorpion; this is in addition to the Green Goblin and Doctor Octopus.

Given Church's build, I'd suggest either Mysterio which would have the illusionist tricks and smoke screens going for him, or the Vulture, if only because of the potential chase scenes between the skyscrapers.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
I read that today too, and was very surprised. I just don't see Sam-or anyone, for that matter-dedicating that much time to one series. He may say he's considering it now, but I'll eat my hat if he ends up doing it. It would be an uncommonly long run. Time will tell!

From Sci-Fi Wire:

Quote:Kirsten Dunst.... has confirmed rumors that the sequel's villains will be Venom and Sandman, Zap2It reported....

"Maybe I wasn't supposed to say that," Dunst said.... When she checked with her representative, the rep assured her that the information has already been released....

Dunst was less clear on who would play whom. At first, she said that Church would play Venom and Grace would take on Sandman. She then reversed herself when a journalist expressed disbelief. "It's the other way around," she reportedly said. "You're right."

Sandman is a career criminal whose irradiated body can turn into a sand-like substance, the site reported. Venom is an alien symbiote that once masqueraded as Spider-Man's costume before taking over the body of ex-reporter Eddie Brock, who has a beef with Spider-Man over a journalism-related embarrassment.
*sigh*

I still wish they hadn't gone the Venom route. He/She (or whatever sex the symbiote is) is my least favorite of the Spidey villains.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
From Cinema Confidential:

Quote:Sony Pictures has posted the first picture of Thomas Haden Church as Flint Marko. While the studio still won't confirm which villains will be appearing in "Spider-Man 3," the site prints Church's character as Flint Marko, or as the Marvel comic fans know him as...Sandman.

Yep. So unless Sam Raimi plans to mess with our heads by changing characters around, consider this a confirmation that Church is indeed Sandman.

While Topher Grace's character is still unknown at this point, Kirsten Dunst recently revealed while promoting "Elizabethtown" that the other villain in the movie will be Venom.

Church as Marko
Sam is certainly taking his sweet time on this one. According to iesb.net, principal shooting on Spidey 3 will begin next week, although some sfx scenes (or probably backgrounds onto which sfx will be placed) have already been shot in various cities.

"Columbia Pictures is targeting a May 4, 2007 release date for Spider-Man 3."

Any hopeful actors among us, in the LA area?

Check out this site.

It's got listings of dozens of films and tv shows that are currently casting. Or were, as of last September. Of particular note is:

Quote:Spiderman 3, the continuing action-packed adventures of your friendly neighborhood arachnid guy. Sam Raimi will direct the Alvin Sargent script with stars Tobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst, and James Edward Franco set to reprise their star turns and Thomas Haden Church (Sideways) joining as this installment's villain. Casting: Francine Maisler Casting, 10201 W. Washington Blvd., Jimmy Stewart Bldg., Rm. 207, Culver City, CA 90232.

James 'Edward' Franco? I dindn't know that was his middle name. Is he going to include that now, I wonder? He's one of my favourite young actors, I love the James Dean movie he did for TNT.

Too bad we're not all in the LA area, huh? Be a real kick to be an extra in a Sam's films!
That middle name is odd - but legit. He's credited with it in a bit part in "Never Been Kissed," then dropped it apparently. Someone probaly just looked at a very out of date resume.

He's the male lead in "Tristan and Isolde," btw, and sadly is not getting good reviews at all for it.

OK, now this is wild. From both Yahoo News and Sci Fi Wire, both citing the Hollywood Reporter:

Ron Howard's daughter Bryce Dallas Howard (from "The Village") may be playing Gwen Stacey!

Which will be weird, given that most of Gwen's most memorable moments were taken over by MJ in the first movie!

Quote:As every fanboy knows, Gwen was the arachnid hero's original high school sweetheart, who in Marvel Comics' Amazing Spider-Man issue 121 was abducted by archnemesis the Green Goblin and shockingly killed off during a climactic battle atop the Brooklyn Bridge. Her death was one of the first occasions in comic-book history in which a major character was killed, portending darker, grittier comics to come.

For the movie version, however, Columbia Pictures and director Sam Raimi pulled a switcheroo and made Mary Jane Watson, Parker's later love interest in the comics, the object of his affection.

While the studio's guarding Spider-Man 3's storyline tighter than Fort Knox, the Hollywood Reporter says Gwen will play the third point in a love triangle also involving Peter and Mary Jane. :eek:

Spider-Man 3 is scheduled to begin shooting later this month and swing into theaters on May 4, 2007.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spidey News Michael 0 248 January 26th, 2022, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Video: Guardians Of The Galaxy 2 Preview and Banned Comic Con Trailer Info FilmGuy 0 503 July 17th, 2016, 03:29 PM
Last Post: FilmGuy
  Darren Aronofsky not to direct "Wolverine" sequel, and some casting call info Michael 0 611 March 18th, 2011, 03:05 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Whoa. Sam and Tobey quit, Spidey 4 is dead, and Columbia will reboot the series august 44 3,848 September 10th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Last Post: RobRoy
  James Franco and Bill Heder's Spidey-themed video birthday greeting to Sam Raimi august 0 654 July 25th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Last Post: august
  First Spidey, next...Batman: The Arena Stage Experience? august 0 727 April 26th, 2010, 05:48 PM
  Spidey *4* Info thread???????? august 71 8,504 January 8th, 2010, 05:37 PM
  Jonah Hex Info Boomstick 4 715 December 12th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  New release dates for Thor, Spidey 4, Capt. America, Avengers films august 10 1,024 March 19th, 2009, 12:02 AM
  Spidey swings into Obama's world RobRoy 5 791 January 17th, 2009, 02:00 PM