Cryptic XWP movie news
Katherine Fugate posted this at her site, but then took it down a few hours later! Wink

"yes, i am attending and appearing at the 10th annual xena convention in january. there is updated xena movie news, but for legal reasons, i am no longer allowed to speak publicly about it. divine of that what you will. "

(I think the fact that she took it down simply means that even mentioning there is news is either a) letting the cat out of the bag prior to some possible announcement at the convention, and/or b) contrary to some stipulation of the negotiations between Rob and NBC/Universal.)

Disclaimer: I realize some of us don't want a movie, because we were so traumatized by the series finale. And some are eager for a movie because we want a better ending for the characters than the finale. And some don't want a movie because the fimnale was a perfect ending for the characters. And some want to see a movie because we know that at long last the characters will be portrayed as lovers. And some don't want a movie for that very reason. And some don't want a movie because they fear that the characters *won't* be portrayed that way. And some fear that Hollywood will mess up the characters no matter *what* they do. And some are convinced that Lucy, Rob et al. hate the fans and aren't enthusiastic about the movie, while others are convinced that they are making this movie specifically *for* the fans. And I'm sure there are still a few somewhere who believe that Rob "lost the rights" to XWP, or that he sold them to make Jack and Cleo, or that he went bankrupt because he didn't listen to "all the fans," or that his career is ruined and he's reduced to making low-budget horror schlock ..... like...errr.... cough...the number one film in the nation for two weeks running ....

And we've all expressed how we are convinced that what we predict is what will happen, and that if it's done any differently from how we want it done, the whole thing will be ruined. :laugh:

SO - since there are at least two dozen threads that have covered that territory already.... any chance we can leave this single little innocent thread for *news* about the movie? Smile

August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
I feel the news has neither positive nor negative energy. Time will tell. It'll be interesting to see what happens...
Was that what had been up at her site until she removed?

I say we may as well let it stay for a while.
"Some people say you are going the wrong way, when it's simply a way of your own." ~ Angelina Jolie

Yep, that's exactly it.

The irony of the internet and the immediately connected/wired Xena community is that by the time she took it down, it was already spread over six continents (and who knows? maybe 7, if we have any fans at some station in Antarctica!)

I suspect that we might have other unofficial leaks in the next coupla months.....

There has never been a better time for our guys. Rob and Sam and Ted have the number one movie in America, Bruce has hosted two high-profile tv specials, plus had a 5-page spread in Entertainment Weekly, plus has two films coming out in a couple of months (one with Ted, one with Renee) plus is now the darling of the indie media due to "Bubba Ho-Tep." That added to...oh, what was it again...? Oh yeah, the $1.5 billion that the two Spidey films grossed means that they can pretty much do whatever they want now.

The world is their oyster, and we are only shuckers. :tongue:
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
And suspect some martians on Mars has heard about it too...
Leave us out of this,{ marsmen, marsman} out of this.
I figured Spider-Man (the first one) alone would have insured they could do anything they want but it really seems that prospect of a Xena movie could be gaining more ground now.
"Some people say you are going the wrong way, when it's simply a way of your own." ~ Angelina Jolie

It did and it didn't. "Spider-Man" was definitely a Sam Raimi movie, but technically he was just hired to direct - i.e. he didn't produce, and Rob wasn't involved at all. But it did get him the gig with Senator, which created Ghost House. Sony/Columbia wisely is sort of letting Sam function as if he were the producer for the Spidey films, like with conceiving the basic storyline, hiring the writers, etc.

Now that "The Grudge" has done so well though, *that* gives them the freedom to do whatever they want. Within the horror genre, anyway. Not that they are newcomers by any means, but they took a long vacation from movies to do all their tv work. And while all their old films made $$ - they didn't make *that* much $$. But now that they have produced an honest-to-goodness blockbuster, I don't think it will be too hard to convince their partners at Senator to branch out from low-budget horror to medium-budget fantasy.
If there was no chance of Xena movie, at the moment, there would be no legal reason for Katherine Fugate not to dicuss the movie, in general terms. When they stop talking about a movie for legal reasons, it means something has changed, or will change soon, in a direction that a Xena movie will be possible. It might be nothing more than they see a light at the end of tunnel in clearing up the legal questions. Or it could mean they are very close to finalizing a deal for the movie. The next couple of months will tell.

Dave
Who said there was no chance? :confused:
Not that there is no chance. But to interpete this as meaningless or not as being positive for an eventual Xena movie, just doesn't add up, in my opinion.

Dave
Did anyone notice this line in a short article from the Sunday Star Times dated October 10.

Quote:Lawless will be accompanied by her Hollywood producer husband, Rob Tapert. She said the pair was hoping to make a film in New Zealand. "The problem is that until it's in the can, you just don't like to talk about it," said Lawless, who is also working on comedy scripts.

Wonder what this movie is about. Heart The whole article can be read over at MaryD's.
Well, there are a couple of different avenues here.

On the one side of it, you may have Rob in talks with a studio for making a movie. Just finalizing the details (budget, etc).

On the other side of it, you have Rob (and the rights issue resolved) talking with a studio about making a movie---but no studio is interested.

Generally, both of the above would keep producers, actors and writers 'attached' from talking until it's all finalized. Then, the flood gates would open up.

However, the downside of it all, is that the talks could fall through and it's back to the starting line.

Here today, gone tomorrow.

Jenn
After the sucess of LOTR movies as well as the Harry Potter films, one would think a studio would like to give the go to a movie that combines a little bit of both elements from those movies.

august wrote:
>There has never been a better time for our guys. Rob and Sam and
> Ted have the number one movie in America, Bruce has hosted two
> high-profile tv specials, plus had a 5-page spread in Entertainment
> Weekly, plus has two films coming out in a couple of months (one with
> Ted, one with Renee) plus is now the darling of the indie media due
> to "Bubba Ho-Tep." That added to...oh, what was it again...? Oh
> yeah, the $1.5 billion that the two Spidey films grossed means
> that they can pretty much do whatever they want now.

Also, don't forget the revival of the Sword&Sandals genre in the movies after "Gladiator", then "Troy", with "Alexander" and even more movies in the works ... a development which LotR doubtlessly had its place in, also. And perhaps two certain TV series in the first place :bg:
The Absent-Minded Professor
Has anyone else seen this and does anyone think there's a chance it could be true? I personally hope it's not, nothing against Kevin Sorbo but I want a Xena movie about Xena and Gabrielle.

Quote:Universal Studios is currently in negotiations with representatives of Lucy Lawless and Kevin Sorbo and other original cast members and Sam Rami & Robert Tapert to settle merchandising issues so that work can commence on a script penned by Katherine Fugate (of When Fates Collide 2001 Xena ep fame) on The Return of Xena movie in which it is said Hercules, (Kevin Sorbo) will help Gabrielle (Renee Occonner) restore her best friend Xena (Lucy Lawless) back to life (Hey Spock did it, why not Xena?) in order that they may attempt to overcome 'an ultimate enemy and challenge.' Hmmm..Sequels anyone?"

Source: Scififilmaker magazine, Dec 05 2004 issue.
Well, Tobias. I'll be honest. After some thorough checking this afternoon, I can find NO REFERENCE not a ONE to a magazine called "Sci Fi Filmmaker" (or any of it's various spellings that could be possibly used), I wouldn't go around to all my buddies going, "there's going to be a movie, going to be a movie" just yet.

Considering the previous "fan generated" rumors (Mariah Cary and the Relic Hunter, of which I actually received from the culprit doing the rumormucking) came via email to various, unsuspecting fans and some selected----I'm chalking this up pure 'fangirl/fanboy' inspired rumor. It reeks of it.

Of course, there is a 0.1% chance that this magazine is some underground film making magazine published deep within the belly of Los Angeles, then I would consider this news a bit on the "rumorish" side.

And considering hardly anyone is questioning whether or not this magazine exists (with the exception of a handful of people), it really makes you wonder. Don't you agree? Especially if the magazine doesn't exist?
Yep, see my comments over in the HTLJ forum: https://www.sf-fandom.com/vbulletin/show...adid=15917

BTW - Davesnothome pointed out that "The Grudge" will surpass the $100 million mark later this week. Meaning that all Rob has to do, once he secures the rights, is to convince Senator to invest, oh, *half* of their profit from this into a Xena movie. :bg:
Sharon Delany posted this over at TX

Quote: I checked with Rob and this article is false. He's still working on trying to get a movie up and going, but nothing in this article is true.

Sharon
outback@creationent.com
Official Xena Fan Club
"Oh, my prophetic soul!"

~Hamlet, I,v.

:bounce:

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ghost House Pictures news (Monkey's Paw, Siren, Burst, etc.) august 27 6,267 April 6th, 2022, 02:41 AM
Last Post: Michael
  News from Candy aka Erica Hooper lasermn 28 7,667 February 24th, 2020, 12:21 AM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Victoria Pratt's new movie Turbulence on Lifetime Move Network @ 8 PM tonight (Fr. 12/30) august 1 2,042 December 31st, 2016, 02:12 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  New movie about Satanic high priest LeVay. badlands 1 613 August 3rd, 2015, 11:26 AM
  three sisters and the devil movie badlands 1 609 October 28th, 2014, 02:19 AM
  Victoria Pratt's movie "A Daughter's Nightmare" premieres Sat. 5/3 at 8 PM EDT on Lifetime august 1 916 May 2nd, 2014, 02:15 PM
  Blackbeard (Hori Ahipene) News ! august 22 7,233 August 13th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Last Post: august
  Grand theft auto movie badlands 0 581 August 20th, 2012, 02:24 AM
Last Post: badlands
  Bruce Campbells in the news august 17 2,988 July 21st, 2011, 01:56 AM
Last Post: august
  Bruce Campbell joins Twitter and makes news Michael 0 696 July 12th, 2011, 10:35 PM