Sam + Rob's "Rise" w/ Lucy Liu, Carla Gugino, Michael Chiklis: 10/15 + 10/21 on Syfy
So has anyone heard anything about a movie called Rise? It's listed in Rob's profile on IMDB and has it's own site there where it says it's in post-production.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0389328/
Whoa!

Now *there's* some scoop! Sam and Rob are listed as Exec. Producers, and Ghost House and Senator are listed as the production companies. And it would appear to be directed by the guy who wrote "Gothika," that moderately-successful Halle Berry flic.

So odd there has been no publicity on this. I'm wondering if the IMDB got the producers wrong on this......
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
You may be right about it being a mistake at IMDB. The Hollywood Reporter reported this back in Dec. 2003:
Quote:Sebastian Gutierrez has signed on to direct Rise," all original thriller that he also wrote. Senator International will produce alongside Greg Shapiro of Kingsgate Films.
So unless they replaced Kingsgate with Ghosthouse since then it's probably bad info.

Tobias
Since it doesn't appear there will be great deal of news about both of these films, I figure to just combine them under one post!

From Dark Horizons website, some casting news about "Rise". An old Hercules guest star could be working for Sam and Rob again!

Meanwhile, Cinescape reports that Lucy Liu (is) in talks to play the lead role in "Rise", the ultra dark, very sexual supernatural thriller from Sam Raimi's Ghost House Pictures. The story centers on a young female reporter who wakes up in a morgue to discover that she is no longer among the living. She vows revenge against those responsible for putting her there and hunts them down.

Thanks to 'Fred'

I think Lucy Liu would make for a very sexy zombie! :thud:

Dave
From Sci-Fi Wire, c. 9/7/05:

Ghost House recently wrapped Rise, directed by Sebastian Gutierrez and starring Lucy Liu. The company is producing an as-yet-untitled a horror film to be directed by Danny and Oxide Pang.

{ed. to add: there is now a separate thread devoted to more recent news on "Rise" here.}
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
[COLOR="Navy"]At last this film gets its own info thread. Although previous discussion can be found here. According to Sci-Fi Wire,

Quote:
"That one just has taken forever," Gugino said in an interview, referring to Rise. "I think now it's finally finished. I know that they've just finished all the scoring and all of that. It's been an incredibly long process. But I do think now it will be released in the near future. I don't know when, but it's now done-done, so that's good."

Rise stars Lucy Liu as a reporter who's killed by vampires and is brought back to life and goes on a rampage against them....

"Rise is a vampire film noir, and I play a vampire femme fatale named Eve," Gugino said.

[/COLOR]
Sounds interesting. I had envisioned Lucy Liu as a vampire. Don't ask how or why. That's just between me and Lucy Lou Who.

I'll be keeping an eye out for this film.
[COLOR="Blue"]Well here is the key reason to see the film! :bounce: :love:

(That's Carla Gugino.) See JoBlo.com for a sexy-yet-gory shot of Lucy Liu too.

According to Fangoria there is even talk of a sequel!

Quote:Gary (SPIDERS) Jones will direct RISE 2 from a script by Ben Ketai, who wrote and co-produced Ghost House’s TALES FROM THE GRUDGE and 30 DAYS OF NIGHT: BLOOD TRAILS on-line shorts. This one sounds more like a remake of this year’s Lucy Liu-starrer than a sequel, as a young woman named Lexi Stone and her brother are kidnapped by vampires who transform her into a creature of the night. Lexi must then not only keep her new bloodsucking desires in check but save her sibling from the ghouls as well.

Gary Jones of course is the long-time Ren Pics collaborator who started doing special effects on Josh Becker and Scott Spiegel's grindhouse-ready "Thou Shalt Not Kill, Except..." and then ED2, AoD, Lunatics, Hard Target... then worked his way up to 2nd unit director for the first season of Xena, directed 3 eps of that show plus 1 of Hercules, and then began doing his own indie horror films - Mosquito, Spiders, Crocodile 2: Death Roll, Planet Raptor, Jolly Roger, and Xenophobia. Josh Becker had this to say about Gary at his site when I asked about him:

Quote:Gary was just sort of hanging around our offices in Ferndale in 1983, and ended up doing some extra work on "Crimewave." Then we began putting TSNKE together and Gary came wandering into the office and said, "I do special effects." Scott Spiegel and I asked him a few questions, which Gary readily had answers for, so we hired him. Scott cut him a check for $50 for supplies and told him to make sure to keep the receipts, and that was that.

Gary worked at the Lear car seat factory at that time making Fiero car seats -- 89 seats a day. I asked, "Why 89? Why not 90?" Gary replied, "Hey, you've got to draw the line somewhere." -- anyway, so Gary got off work at 3:00, then drove straight out to our location and did all of our squibs and explosions, which we'd save for the end of the day and Gary's arrival. That's why a whole scene will be in flat, gray light, then someone gets shot and the squib going off is in warm, sunset light. Gary then worked on "Evil Dead 2," and made the miniature cabin and the rubber trees that bang on it, which I think look really good.

Gary was the FX supervisor on "Lunatics," which has a lot of all different kinds of FX: rear-screen, miniatures, full-size spider parts, giant brains, etc., and he pulled them all off for not a lot of money. Since I had been the original 2nd unit director down in New Zealand, when Xena started I got Gary the gig as 2nd unit director on the show, and he was really good at it, so he was promoted up to main unit director, did several Xena eps, then has been directing ever since. He did the FX and 2nd unit on "Alien Apocalypse," then did 2nd unit for Bruce on "Screaming Brain," is doing 2nd unit on "Puppet Master 8" right now, then main unit directs "American Black Beauty" next. Gary is a tremendously good-natured, extremely talented guy, who can handle anything you throw at him, and do it well.

The JoBlo writer, however, had this to say:

Quote:Maybe I'm wrong, but are we living in a world where people have demanded a RISE 2 - let alone seen the original? I guess I can somewhat fathom a BOOGEYMAN sequel or two, only because the original did indeed make money, but RISE: BLOOD HUNTER, for all intents and purposes, was a complete failure. But the direct-to-DVD market knows no limitations (or logic), so here I am, telling you that this sequel's existence is imminent because it has sucked in a director, Gary Jones (an old pro at unnecessary sequels, having directed CROCODILE 2 and PLANET RAPTOR: RAPTOR ISLAND 2 - because apparently there was a RAPTOR ISLAND Part 1. Man, I need to watch more Sci-Fi Channel).

The GRUDGE 3, which has director Toby Wilkins on board, is about a Japanese woman who travels to the U.S.;specifically the Chicago apartment building that was plagued in GRUDGE 2, where she joins forces with the tenants to face down the evil spirit of Kayako.

See what they did there? They've sent a Japanese woman to America! So it's NOT the same crap over and over again! Wake me when they begin making PLANET RAPTOR 2: RAPTOR ISLAND 3.
[/COLOR]
Aha! They've sold it to Sci-Fi, to premiere as an "original." It debuts at 9 PM EDT on Jun. 7th, culminating a day-long marathon of supernatural movies including The Beast of Bray Road (werewolves) at 9 AM, John Carpenter's Vampires: Los Muertos at 11, From Dusk Till Dawn 2: Texas Blood Money (vampires and Bruce Campbell) at 1, Cursed (werewolves and Christina Ricci) at 3, Hybrid (Justine Bateman vs. a man-wold hybrid) at 5, and Resident Evil (zombies) at 7. It's followed by Dog Soldiers (werewolves and a character named Bruce Campbell) at 11, 11:00 PM, Bloodsuckers (vampires in space) at 1 AM, and Tales from the Crypt: Bordello of Blood (vampires and Dennis Miller) at 3 AM.
Well, perhaps I was just tired last night - I was - but this didn't really hold my interest, and it seemed if that was the case w/ the actors and director too. Visually, it looked just like director Sebastian Gutierrez's previous film "She-Creature." Thus far his career has prospered more as a writer (Gothika, Snakes on a Plane, The Eye) but he has a sort of dark-baroque flair, and the cinematographer for this, John Toll, has impeccable credentials (Braveheart, Legends of the Fall, Thin Red Line, Last Samurai, Gone Baby Gone, winning Oscars for the first two) - yet it just seemed like no one's heart was really in this. And Lucy Liu is a very stoic actress - her detached style would have been infinitely better as a villain in this, so that the heroine could have started out as a tough career woman... then devolved into a terrified victim... then evolved back into a tough avenger.

Likewise, there seemed to be waaaaay too many cooks in the kitchen here, since in addition to the Ghost House Banner, somehow Destination Film and Samuel Goldwyn Films gt their names in there too, presumably as co-investors. There were ten people credited as producers, and my guess is that neither Rob nor Sam were physically on hand to pass along any sense of enthusiasm.

It's actually very reminiscent of a modern-day BloodRayne, which does have its own following. I went to bed before it was over, but if it comes on again, I might try to catch the last 45 minutes.
Rise finished 2nd for the channel for the week (out of 150+ hrs. of programming) coming in at a respectable 1.5, i.e. 2 million or more viewers, and beating out new episodes of BSG and Doctor Who, as well as everything in the history of Showtime, and 95% of all cable tv that week. :bg:
So this was a Ren Pics production?
Ghost House. Which is the Ren Pics for the new millenium. Wink In some form Ren Pics has to exist just to be the recipient of residuals from reruns in 200 countries of all their tv shows and movies (and licensing fees from Evil Dead video games and so forth) ...but Josh Becker once said that in the fine print, each time they did a project it was "Renaissance Pictures IV, V, VI," etc. Since it was always just a partnership between Rob and Sam (once they bought out Bruce) there may have never technically been a formal entity by itself, just one on paper created for each project. At any rate, the two guys own half of Ghost House.
Right, right...

I'd have thought the movie would have been a bigger deal with all the names featured in it.
Yep, well it really was supposed to be, as you can see from the initial press on it. But then it kind of disappeared under the radar for a year - presumably Rob and Sam (and the 6 other people with producer credits, and the 5 count 'em 5 production companies: Mandate Pictures, Kingsgate Films, Destination Films, Ghost House Pictures, and the appropriately named
"Rise Productions" - i.e. Ren Pics XXVII) took a look at the finished product, and said "whoa, we may have a problem marketing this." Although realistically, this was exactly what Ghost House was supposed to do: modestly-budgeted genre films like Boogeyman, The Messengers (ala "Untitled Pang Brothers Project" ;laugh: and The Grudge.) But those ended up as hits, and perhaps the bar got raised, and this film sort of lost out......
This is being rerun Th. 10/16 in the primo 9 PM timeslot, as a sort of Ghost House double feature, since The Grudge is on at 7.
This is next being repeated Th. 1/29 at 9 PM on Sci-Fi, and then again Sun. 2/15 at 1 PM (preceded by Ghost House's Boogeyman 2; Renee O'Connor's Monster Ark is on the preceding day at 5 PM, followed eventually by Josh Becker's Harpies at 3 AM.)
Sci-Fi is rerunning this in the 7 PM Saturday slot on June 6th, just before the premiere of Ultraviolet, and they have plenty of vampire movies to show, so this one must be doing well in the ratings.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Videos: Lucy Lawless interviews about Xena: Warrior Princess Michael 0 554 April 7th, 2021, 04:35 PM
Last Post: Michael
Big Grin Evil Dead Rise! august 2 509 March 14th, 2021, 11:03 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Happy Birthday Lucy Lawless! august 32 6,548 March 29th, 2019, 02:03 PM
Last Post: august
  Happy Birthday to Michael Hurst!! Miss B 13 1,458 September 20th, 2017, 11:30 AM
  Lucy Lawless and season 2 of "Ash vs. Evil Dead" august 0 597 September 6th, 2016, 11:02 AM
  Bruce, Lucy and Rob at Comic-Con! august 2 758 July 26th, 2016, 11:19 AM
  Lucy Lawless and Bruce Campbell on Late Show with Colbert (Nov. 10) august 0 584 January 4th, 2016, 02:45 PM
  Bruce, Sam, Rob + Lucy reunite for an Evil Dead Army of Darkness series on Starz! august 31 3,251 December 27th, 2015, 06:08 PM
  Interviews with Lucy, and her "dream project" august 2 584 December 27th, 2015, 04:16 PM
  Lucy Lawless on the Today Show! august 2 559 December 14th, 2015, 12:00 PM