Does anyone know the words to the Xena burial song?
Smile Hi everyone Just wanted to know if anyone knows the english words for the Xena Burial song? The one( Lucy )Xena sings ? I also wanted to know where I can download it. I love that. ThanksHeart Xenagabby888
Xena & Gabrielle soulmates forever!
I don't think there are any words to the song. If memory serves right it was simply something that Lucy came up with, something "mournful" with a few odd phases thrown into it.
"Some people say you are going the wrong way, when it's simply a way of your own." ~ Angelina Jolie

I think there are very definitely words, 'cause Lucy didn't write it, she heard it somewhere. I think the words are Hebrew? But no one has ever posted an English translation.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
The song is indeed Hebrew, and its name is Sof Ha'olam (The End of the World). A version of the song has been recorded by a band called Hayehudim. I have read the claim that the melody was composed by Lucy herself, but given that other version, it doesn't seem like it (I haven't listened to that one, though).

You can find a videoclip and a link to a translation of the text here.

http://www.fortunecity.com/lavender/warg...aolam.html
The Absent-Minded Professor
August, where did you read that Lucy just heard the song, that's something I've never seen before?

Just because a band has a song by supposedly the same name certainly doesn't mean it's the same song and it's entirely possible that they heard it on Xena first and then wrote the song. Lucy has credit on the Xena soundtrack alblums as composing the Burial Chant and I kind of doubt if someone else did write it that one, they wouldn't have complained and two, that Lucy would have taken credit if she didn't write the music.

This is what it says over at Whoosh:

Quote:Another great moment is "Burial", the song Lucy Lawless wrote using the words from a Hebrew poem and a melody of her own.

Tobias
Quote:August, where did you read that Lucy just heard the song, that's something I've never seen before?

Naw, that's what I meant, the lyrics. Which I guess technically she *read* rather than heard somewhere. Smile This is from an interview with Joe LoDuca:

Quote:That's an interesting story. Lucy gave a cassette of her singing a melody she made up to our producer, Rob Tapert. To the best of my knowledge, the lyrics are Hassidic.
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
Xena & Gabrielle soulmates forever!
I found this one too, but it's another song. The title is different, and the words are completely unrelated to the translation I posted. Not sure if the original Hebrew lyrics can be found anywhere on the web.
As I recall the story, Lucy came up with it while jogging (as answered in a question the Parade Magazine back in 1999) and then recorded it into a tape recorder and gave it to Joe who did his magic and made it a usuable piece of music.

I'm quite certain, had it been a copy or a deritive melody, we would have heard about it because someone would have made issue with it.

Since we never did and Lucy herself has even said it's a just a mixture of words, we can safely assume she came up with it.

But what do I know, I'm just a fan.

Jenn
Can you give us the quote by Lucy? It would utterly contradict LoDuca's statement.
Q: Does Lucy Lawless,star of Xena, Warrior Princess, sing the haunting song heard on the show from time to time?-Merry Crow,Cordove, Teen

A: Not only does Lawless 32 sing that melody-known as "The Burial Song"because it's used whenever an Amazon dies-she created it. The New Zealand born beauty told us the tune came to her while jogging one day, and it was orchestrated by Joseph LoDuca, who won an Emmy for the show's score. "We never dub Lucy's voice," notes LoDuca, who also wrote a Xena score based on Wagner's Ring Cycle, which has been featured this month. Incidentally, Lawless will hang up her shield in May; Xena is being cancelled after six seasons.

It appeared November 26, 2000

Side note: Joseph LoDuca said it came to him on an audio tape, it was of bad quality. He worked his magic and they were able to use it in the series.

http://www.ausxip.com/articles15/parade_magazine.htm
This is from Starlog August 1998 Yearbook

Quote:LoDuca admits, however, it doesn't usually work that way. In an early Xena, for example, Lawless performed a song for a funeral sequence. "The story of that song, 'Burial,' is very interesting. That came from a third generation audiocassette. We were aware from the beginning that Lucy could sing and Rob was looking for a way to involve that in the show. This was a song that, as I understand, she invented. The idea was that this was to become a melody every time you had a holy burial pyre scene. They first tried to record it on the set. Then, they took her into a studio after a long day of shooting. It turned out the best performance we had was on this cassette. So, I did everything I could, audio-wise, to clean it up. That's what's on the soundtrack album. It was really a small miracle it all worked out, but that was the best performance we had at that time. She sang it again, live on set, for Serena's [Sam Jenkins] funeral on that Hercules episode, 'Judgment Day.' We scored the music behind it that time."

Jenn
These answers are about the lyrics. I propose you to have the two versions of the song I have here, if you still need them or want them. Just let me know if you're interested and I can send them to you by msn (see my adress above)

See you around.
"To conquer others is to have power... To conquer yourself is to know the Way." Lao Ma
TheLastOne wrote:
> A: Not only does Lawless 32 sing that melody-known as "The Burial
> Song"because it's used whenever an Amazon dies-she created it. The New
> Zealand born beauty told us the tune came to her while jogging one day,
[...]

Nowhere is there anything that contradicts LoDuca's statement about the _lyrics_. It's the _melody_ that was invented by Lucy, and that's not the point.
ROCxolan:

Did I say it contradicts anything??

Nope. I posted what I recalled.

And then I said, had it been be a deritive work we probably would have heard about it because someone would have said something sooner (or even complained). That part was a personal opinion.
OK, since the original question is from 2004, and this is nearly two years later, I fear I've lost the point. What is it again? Who's contradicting whom? About what? I have tried three times now to figure out what the difference is, and I'm still mystified. Are we next going to say that Lucy is a Sanskrit scholar too? Is Mariah Carey going to sing this for the movie? They have a budget!!! :laugh:
As far as I understand it now, Jenn was talking about the melody only, not about the lyrics. The melody is by Lucy, we all agree on that, I think. The lyrics are not her original work (they aren't copyrighted either, so no derivative work in the legal sense). If Jenn wasn't talking about the lyrics, I don't quite get her point, but whatever. If she was, the quote from Joe LoDuca that you, august, have posted, clearly says otherwise: no, Lucy did not come up with the lyrics, they're from a poem.
Interesting. I always wanted to know more about that.

I did a quick mini search and found this:

http://www.hebrewsongs.com/song-anieshtagea.htm

ANI ESHTAGE'A (I'LL GO MAD)

Ani eshtage'a keshetomar shalom
Ani lo mevina eich higati ad halom
Ki im tirtze lalechet, ze yihiye gehenom mushlam
Kashe yoter mimavet, ze yihiye sof ha olam

Siyut kazeh oleh al kol dim'yon
Bo veyachad na atzor et hasha'on
Zohi ahava she eyn ba higayon
Zohi ahava shetigamer bebizayon
Ani lo yechola linshom
Harey ze shiga on, machnik li bagaron
Ata harishon hayita vetihiye ha acharon.

I'll go mad when you'd say goodbye
I don't understand how I got to this point
If you'd like to leave, it will be a total hell
Harder than death, it will be the end of the world.
This nightmare is above imagination
Together, let's stop the clock
This love has no sense
This love will end in disgrace
I can't breath
It's insane, I am suffocating,
You were first and you ll be last.

Dont know if thats it, but it could be.
juicy flawless.org

:cheergirl:
Most probably not. Looks like deeply modern lyrics happening to contain the words "sof ha olam", "the end of the world", rather than ancient poetry. On the bottom of the page, the lyrics are even attributed to a specific person, Ehud Manor, born in 1941 and passed away in 2005.

Up to this point, we can't even be sure of the title of the burial song. All we can be reasonably certain about is that the lyrics are in Hebrew (though apparently delivered in a manner by Lucy that reflects her unfamiliarity with the language, making the lyrics hard to understand even for native speakers of Hebrew), unless LoDuca was entirely mistaken.

As I am writing this, a strange thought crosses my mind. How is it that so far, we've never considered writing Lucy - or Sharon Delaney - themselves to solve this riddle? It's the logical thing to do, after all.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Videos: Lucy Lawless interviews about Xena: Warrior Princess Michael 0 181 April 7th, 2021, 04:35 PM
Last Post: Michael
Big Grin Happy 25th Anniversary Xena ! august 4 583 November 12th, 2020, 09:05 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Xena faces off against Callisto...behind the bar! august 9 1,200 November 20th, 2018, 08:35 PM
  Xena stars on the shows 20th anniversary Boomstick 1 596 September 4th, 2018, 10:46 AM
Last Post: august
  Happy Birthday Heart Song! august 54 7,301 July 28th, 2018, 05:26 PM
  22 years of Xena Warrior Princess :O august 6 732 September 18th, 2017, 10:33 AM
  NBC-Universal is serious about a Xena reboot ... or are they? august 34 2,336 August 22nd, 2017, 07:51 PM
  Little Xena + Gabby on Halloween! august 3 2,063 October 29th, 2016, 12:57 PM
  Xena opening credits - Lego style! august 4 613 October 9th, 2016, 04:57 PM
  Shatner to produce a documentary about Xena fans? august 3 784 October 23rd, 2012, 01:02 AM
Last Post: Michael