Poll: Favourite Star Trek movie!
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)
7.50%
3 7.50%
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
20.00%
8 20.00%
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984)
0%
0 0%
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)
17.50%
7 17.50%
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989)
0%
0 0%
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991)
22.50%
9 22.50%
Star Trek VII: Generations (1994)
2.50%
1 2.50%
Star Trek VIII: First Contact (1996)
22.50%
9 22.50%
Star Trek IX: Insurrection (1998)
2.50%
1 2.50%
Star Trek X: Nemesis (2002)
5.00%
2 5.00%
Total 40 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Star Trek Movies!
Spock's death in WoK is probably the strongest element in any of the movies. However, I am glad they went on to make more films, cause I've enjoyed them all. Yes, even The Final Frontier. Smile

I've often thought that Spock's death was sort of to reboot the character. He had started to show emotion, and the 'retraining of his mind' in The Search for Spock brings him back to Mr. logical, wich leads to some of the most entertaining moments of The Voyage Home.

McCoy: I liked him better before he died! :laugh:
Spock's death was great because it was so unexpected and so unlike normal Hollywood fare. There's not many films that kill off a major character at the end. I agree that the impact was lessened slightly by what came later, but you didn't know that at the time. When I first saw it, it was the real deal and the emotional impact was intense. It also brought some pretty fine acting out of William Shatner as well, I seem to recall.
My favorites in this order...

1. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
2. Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)
3. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)
4. Star Trek VIII: First Contact (1996)
5. Star Trek VII: Generations (1994)
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Arthur C. Clarke: Clarke's Third Law from Profiles of the Future: An Inquiry into the Limits of the Possible
Quote:Originally posted by Jammin
Spock's death was great because it was so unexpected and so unlike normal Hollywood fare. There's not many films that kill off a major character at the end. I agree that the impact was lessened slightly by what came later, but you didn't know that at the time. When I first saw it, it was the real deal and the emotional impact was intense. It also brought some pretty fine acting out of William Shatner as well, I seem to recall.

But they didn't really kill off a main character in the end. And the way they brought Spock back was off the charts for me with regards to unbelievability.

Its the one element of the movies I wish they would have fleshed out a little better.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Arthur C. Clarke: Clarke's Third Law from Profiles of the Future: An Inquiry into the Limits of the Possible
Quote:Originally posted by Ivo
But they didn't really kill off a main character in the end. And the way they brought Spock back was off the charts for me with regards to unbelievability.

Its the one element of the movies I wish they would have fleshed out a little better.

I agree with you. However, at the time, you didn't know they were going to go on and make ST3. The first time I saw Wrath of Khan, Spock died, pure and simple, even with the voice over at the end.

I also didn't like how they brought him back. In fact there's much of ST3 that I don't like - the new Savik, the creaky sets on the Genesis planet, Christopher Lloyd as a Klingon, the ceremony at Vulcan. There's probably only three parts of the film that I can honestly say are really good - the theft of the Enterprise, Kirk's reaction at the death of his son and the self destruct of Enterprise. Anyway, I digress. The benefit of bringing Spock back to life is that you can go on to complete the mini trilogy with The Voyage Home, resurrecting the film franchise in a blaze of glory.

Notwithstanding the resurrection of Spock, I still get a lump in my throat when I watch Spock's 'death'. Even after all these years, the emotional impact remains.
First Contact gets my vote! Best Star Trek moive ever made. :clap:
BlueStar
Quote:Originally posted by BlueStar
First Contact gets my vote! Best Star Trek moive ever made. :clap:

It's tied for second, so you're not the only one that feels that way. First Contact is great, and it's also the first Trek movie I ever saw on the big screen.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Michael's thoughts) Michael 0 42 May 9th, 2022, 01:38 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Star Trek: Picard Michael 1 130 May 9th, 2022, 01:32 AM
  How can star trek get new fans? hour_25mikehodel 4 79 May 9th, 2022, 01:19 AM
  In Defense of Star Trek: Enterprise Michael 19 1,582 April 6th, 2022, 05:21 PM
  Star Trek: Lower Decks Valandil 1 370 December 1st, 2021, 07:02 PM
Last Post: rkomar
  Star Trek languages badlands 4 523 July 1st, 2021, 10:19 AM
  Video - History of Star Trek Michael 0 583 July 25th, 2020, 09:18 PM
  Star Trek video/ computer games badlands 4 1,039 July 23rd, 2020, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Mary Sue character in Star Trek badlands 13 1,654 June 29th, 2020, 10:30 AM
Last Post: Alvin Eriol
  New Animated Star Trek badlands 3 782 June 8th, 2020, 12:00 PM