Why do house-elves say "i IS", "they IS" ?
Mentioned at least in "HP & the Goblet of Fire".
I don't remember it being mentioned in the goblet of fire:book: ?
Anyway I always thought it was because they were only little servant creatures who weren't exactly spend their time revising correct grammar.:drink:
And she said 'Hoots I cannae get back tae me hoos in Bonny Scotland'
Girl with the Hazel Eyes - Ahhhhhh!
Quote:Originally posted by Boba,Obi Wan,Jango
I don't remember it being mentioned in the goblet of fire:book: ?
Remember house-elves Winky (was Mr.Crouch's servant) and Dobby working at Hogwarts.
I also recognized this and I also think they speak this way, because they are "only" servants. It's comparable to Shakespeare's works, where people of lower classes don't talk in rhymes like the main characters who are often noblemen.
And there's another story where this kind of speaking appears - The Lord of the Rings: Gollum talks like this too, if you remember....
Maybe it's also a kind of servility....
Thank you for responding.

Maybe, you also know why Hagrid says "me" instead of "my" (Me Dad...). Seamus says the same way too.
I would say it is a kind of slang he speaks. I can't remember exactly but I think the "me" instead of "my" could be an older english form, but I'm not a native speaker or english professor Wink Maybe one of you natives can answer the question (and maybe confirm me thoughts Wink )
Quote:Originally posted by ginger
I would say it is a kind of slang he speaks. I can't remember exactly but I think the "me" instead of "my" could be an older english form, but I'm not a native speaker or english professor Wink Maybe one of you natives can answer the question (and maybe confirm me thoughts Wink )

Its not really slang. Its just bad English.....the language went off in different directions (peasents and nobles, then it went abroad e.g. Austrailia and America). So different people developed the language in different ways, so thats why it sounds different.
Seeing as it was the medieval peasents who first spoke the English language....they should be the ones who are right (e.g. Hagrid).
Thats why Seamus speaks a little differently because he's obviously Irish.
Save a tree! (eat a beaver)
i don't know probbably slang or not enough education
Quote:Originally posted by ginger

Saying "me" instead of "my" is quite common in the UK but it's more of a northern thing, you wouldn't hear it said much in the south. I say it all the time and even type it when posting on forums quite a bit. It's just the way people speak in different places Smile That'll be why Hagrid has a very northern accent in the films too.
I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks AND blows!!
I'm from Georgia, USA - it's very common for people in rural areas to speak this way. Even here you can go from one community to another and find various speach patterns depending on the culture of the area. Usually it's the less educated that speak this way or if they were raise in that environment, even though educated, they can slide back into that speach pattern. Georgians were originally a combination of slaves, native americans and indentured servants with only a few wealthy landowners. I think that has a lot of impact on our speach patterns.
I don't think education has to do with they way people speak at all TBH, it's all about accents and as far as I'm aware accents came about from people moving from different places and the ways of speaking merge into one... Like I'm from Liverpool and alot of Irish people came here because of the potato famine, which is why Liverpool and Irish people have quite alot of sayings etc in common eg: "me mam" = "my mum"
I don't think theres anywhere left in the UK where people speak "the Queens english" except for those who practise in front of the mirror each day to sound posh Wink
I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks AND blows!!
Would it be too strange if german people would say me intead of my?(I am from Germany)
Has anybody here see Pirates of the Caribbean? A man in this film say "me",too
it's called dialect. it's not that it's bad english or anything, it's how a person learned to speak. so it's SORT of slang. but not really.
I like buying snacks from a vending machine because food is better when it falls. Sometimes at the grocery, I'll drop a candy bar so that it will achieve its maximum flavor potential. ~Mitch Hedberg

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Goblins and house elves badlands 3 837 November 8th, 2020, 10:34 PM
Last Post: namesarehard
  Did Hogwarts' elves a better life after the final battle? karise_ravenclaw 3 634 August 3rd, 2020, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Michael
  House Elves (Spoilers?) Kingangus 8 1,067 August 23rd, 2005, 10:23 PM
Last Post: so and so
  Which House? Kwik silver 44 82 5,074 February 15th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Alantriel the Elf
  Which house would you choose? chomg88 9 1,193 July 23rd, 2004, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Fosco_Diggory
  Which house was Hagrid in?connection with riddle/random Fosco_Diggory 16 1,840 May 21st, 2004, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Yaxi
  Which house do you belong to? Hermionini 21 1,945 August 29th, 2003, 04:27 AM
Last Post: Hermionini