Indy's staff too big?
Alrighty. So, Raiders of the Lost Ark was on television this weekend, and I watched it for a little while, and flipped back to some other stuff that I hadn't seen. I joined our intrepid archeological hero as he and Sallah are at the old wise man's place, and discussing the size of the German staff after they have the information. The old man says (from memory), "This for the old way, this mean six kadam high." To which Sallah advises, "About 72 inches." So we can deduce that a kadam equals about a foot. Then the old man says, "And take back one kadam to honor the Hebrew god who's ark this is." Meaning that the staff should be about 60 inches or five feet in height. This is confirmed by Indy when he says, "Belloq's staff is too long." and by both when they say, "They're digging in the wrong place."

However, in going to, and being in the map room, Indy's staff is at least a head taller than he is. In the version that I watched yesterday, Indy is clearly standing level with the staff. So . . .

Are we dealing with a reality in which a normally 6'1" Harrison Ford is now under five feet in height? Or did Indy make a HUGE error, but was somehow guided by God/fate to find the Well of Souls?

Also, oddly enough, Indy breaks the staff in half when he is done. I pressume this is so that the Germans, if they discover the staff, won't be able to tell just how long it was. However, isn't this a little naive of Indy to think they can't tell how long two halves of a staff add up too? Wouldn't Indy have been better off if he'd broken one of the halfs again, and kept that peice?
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Quote:Originally posted by RobRoy

Also, oddly enough, Indy breaks the staff in half when he is done. I pressume this is so that the Germans, if they discover the staff, won't be able to tell just how long it was. However, isn't this a little naive of Indy to think they can't tell how long two halves of a staff add up too? Wouldn't Indy have been better off if he'd broken one of the halfs again, and kept that peice?

Everybody knows those Nazi's couldn't add... :anxious:

Thanks for pointing that out Rob... :there: :bg:
:alien: Sci-Fi needs reality TV as much as it needs a Hammer! :mad:
Now you've done it, I just watched the movies and now Im going to have to go and watch it again to see the scenes your talking about, and then when I see it's true its gonna bug me everytime i watch the movie, darn your eagle eyes for figuring it.

I go with the misguided fate thing, and hopefully one of the peices rolled off into the distance never to be found again!!

Sara Lou
Wow... good catch, Robroy! I went on http://www.theRaider.net (my favorite Indiana Jones site) to check this out and found some images of the staff towering over Harrison Ford's head...

http://www.theraider.net/showimage.php?I...ns/r17.jpg

http://www.theraider.net/showimage.php?I...ns/r87.jpg

Really... this site is amazing.. I highly recommend Indy fans to peruse through it especially in the goof and trivia sections.
*Back to the Future~ George McFly: Last night, Darth Vader came down from planet Vulcan and told me that if I didn't take Lorraine out that he'd melt my brain!
Quote:Originally posted by Lady Eowyn
Really... this site is amazing.. I highly recommend Indy fans to peruse through it especially in the goof and trivia sections.

I couldn't find this section. :teary:

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Good catch! I never thought of that, but I do recall the staff being taller than Indy.

Now, regarding titles, do we need to have a talk about innuendo, RR?
Quote:Also, oddly enough, Indy breaks the staff in half when he is done. I pressume this is so that the Germans, if they discover the staff, won't be able to tell just how long it was. However, isn't this a little naive of Indy to think they can't tell how long two halves of a staff add up too? Wouldn't Indy have been better off if he'd broken one of the halfs again, and kept that peice?

Yeah, I thought that exact same thing RobRoy (I was watching Raiders on tv too this weekend). One would think that Indy would be smarter to have kept a piece of the staff to throw the Nazis off. Then again, maybe he thought his digging elsewhere would go unnoticed???:up:
Battle On, Deadly Chakram

Jack's Packer #1350
Croque's Crony #1350
Daughter Of The Dragoon #2
Brogard's Belle #2
Keeper of Jack's Wit and Sense of Humor
Woah. Excellent point. Who's to say he didn't take one half with him? We never saw him climb the maproom just saw him walking after he was out. Maybe he buried it.
I can imagine quite a bit.
I couldn't find this section. :teary:
Hey RR! Never fear - my website browsing skills are here to save the day! :bg: Just click the links for the individual films. Each film page has links for trivia and goofs. Enjoy!

Fro :wave:
Yups... that is what you do! but if you wanna take a short cut to the Raiders of the Lost Arc trivia section, here ya go... http://www.theraider.net/films/raiders/trivia.php
I forgot how well Star Wars fans would enjoy the movie trivia as well!

Such as in The Temple of Doom at the very beginning, Indy meets trouble and runs out of the club. If you look up at the sign you can see that the club is called Obiwan! In Raiders there are a few heiroglyophics on the set that depict R2D2 and C-3PO. For POTC fans... the aztec chest from POTC was from the set of Raiders of the Lost Arc!

In The Last Crusade, Indy and His father fly a biplane to escape the Nazis. Connery and Ford found it incredibly hot in the plane while filming and decided to take their pants off for the rest of the scene being that you don't see anything below the shoulders anyways! And then my favorite fact is about how the famous fight scene between Indy and the swordsman in Raiders came to be... The script originally called for a long intense fight scene between Indy and the swordsman, but Harrison Ford was suffering from diarrea that day and asked Spieldbreg if he could shorten it a little. Spieldberg laughed and said that the only way that it could be shortened is if Indy pulled out a gun and shot the guy! And that's how they filmed it!
*Back to the Future~ George McFly: Last night, Darth Vader came down from planet Vulcan and told me that if I didn't take Lorraine out that he'd melt my brain!
Quote:Originally posted by Boomstick
Now, regarding titles, do we need to have a talk about innuendo, RR?

Nopers. The innuendo was completely and totally intentional :bg:

Quote:Originally posted by Han Solo
Woah. Excellent point. Who's to say he didn't take one half with him? We never saw him climb the maproom just saw him walking after he was out. Maybe he buried it.

Good in theory, except we clearly see Indy break the staff in half, and then throw both peices from him, right before calling for Sallah. The make-shift rope that includes the Nazi flag drops, and while Indy certainly could have had second thoughts on the staff, that scene wasn't shown. We can only assume that Indy didn't suddenly think about the staff, go after one of the peices he had just thrown, and break it again, then come climbing back up.

Given what we do know from the film, Indy tossed both peices from him, then left the Map Room.

I don't have the movie here to watch, but I may go rent it. However, it seems to me that Indy was standing NEXT to the model in the first picture and somewhat BEHIND it in the second picture (the staff was close to his head, but we don't see his feet). If that is the case, then the staff was not too long but simply higher than Indy. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a gaffe of some sort.

Also, simply breaking the staff would have prevented the Nazi's from using it to take their own measurements (again) if they discovered it and realized what it had been used for.
Well there's also that Indy planned to steal it that same night and be out of there before they knew it. So maybe it was just a delay tactic.
Quote:Originally posted by Han Solo
Well there's also that Indy planned to steal it that same night and be out of there before they knew it. So maybe it was just a delay tactic.

That's pretty much what I always thought.
Quote:Originally posted by Boomstick
That's pretty much what I always thought.

Plus even if they found it that day, they would have had to wait for the next day to get the sunlight in the right spot again.
Quote:Originally posted by Michael
I don't have the movie here to watch, but I may go rent it. However, it seems to me that Indy was standing NEXT to the model in the first picture and somewhat BEHIND it in the second picture (the staff was close to his head, but we don't see his feet). If that is the case, then the staff was not too long but simply higher than Indy. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a gaffe of some sort.

Sorry Michael, but in the scene right before this, Indy is walking using the staff as a, well, a walking staff. It is clearly much taller than the 6'1" actor.

Unless you're suggesting that Indy cut down the staff after he entered the Map Room?

Quote:Also, simply breaking the staff would have prevented the Nazi's from using it to take their own measurements (again) if they discovered it and realized what it had been used for.

Well, yes.

But not from measuring the staff and then cutting a new one. Which, if I read what I wrote, is exactly what I said.

youre absolutely right, i never noticed before you pointed that out, and as it was said above its gunna bug me every time i see it. speaking of Raiders, theres 2 wilhelm screams in it
"It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black."
Alrighty. So, Raiders of the Lost Ark was on television this weekend, and I watched it for a little while, and flipped back to some other stuff that I hadn't seen. I joined our intrepid archeological hero as he and Sallah are at the old wise man's place, and discussing the size of the German staff after they have the information. The old man says (from memory), "This for the old way, this mean six kadam high." To which Sallah advises, "About 72 inches." So we can deduce that a kadam equals about a foot. Then the old man says, "And take back one kadam to honor the Hebrew god who's ark this is." Meaning that the staff should be about 60 inches or five feet in height. This is confirmed by Indy when he says, "Belloq's staff is too long." and by both when they say, "They're digging in the wrong place."

However, in going to, and being in the map room, Indy's staff is at least a head taller than he is. In the version that I watched yesterday, Indy is clearly standing level with the staff. So . . .

Are we dealing with a reality in which a normally 6'1" Harrison Ford is now under five feet in height? Or did Indy make a [b]HUGE
error, but was somehow guided by God/fate to find the Well of Souls?

Also, oddly enough, Indy breaks the staff in half when he is done. I pressume this is so that the Germans, if they discover the staff, won't be able to tell just how long it was. However, isn't this a little naive of Indy to think they can't tell how long two halves of a staff add up too? Wouldn't Indy have been better off if he'd broken one of the halfs again, and kept that peice? [/B]

Ooooh, haven`t been here in ages, just saw this.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! :clap:

That bit has bothered me for YEARS! Since the first time I saw it at the movies even. I love the whole thing, the lighting and the music as the sunbeam comes through and points out the location of the Well of Souls, and then it came to a screeching halt as I realized that 6'1" Indy`s (Ford`s) standing level with the staff just like you said. In subsequent viewings I try to convince myself that Indy`s sort of leaning/hunching as he`s standing with the staff, but it doesn`t work in the long shots. :anxious:

As for breaking the staff, I thought if he wasn`t going to take it and/or hide it, that maybe he thought the Germans just wouldn`t notice it was significant. They might just think it was a broken staff or stick. That doesn`t really make sense though. I would assume he probably took it but we just didn`t see that.

Hmmmm. I like the idea of breaking it in three and keeping a piece to throw them off even more. Even if they can figure out there`s another piece missing it would still make it harder for them.

How many people notice, when Indy and Marion escape the Well of Souls, as they push out that huge brick to get to the outside, that there`s a man just sitting there leaning against the wall? And he doesn`t react to them at all.
Hope, D`Argo.... I have HOPE. John

Too many stories are nothing more than connected vignettes of codified symbols used to tell the audience where the plot currently stands like some sort of checklist Mirage
really, i guy just standing there? never noticed that, have you noticed that the name of the restaurant in the beggining of Temple of Doom syas Cafe Obi Wan

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  LaBeouf announces new Indy title at VMAs RobRoy 10 1,054 October 2nd, 2007, 07:47 PM
Last Post: moif