I,Robot:Has anyone see it yet?
I would like to know if it is a good movie to watch. All feedback welcome.
BlueStar
I saw I, Robot Friday night. I really enjoyed it. It's definitely a Will Smith movie, but I always find them to be fun. If you are an Asimov purist, I suspect you won't like it. I haven't read any of his books, but I get the impression that the movie only takes the basic idea from the book and nothing else. But if you like Will Smith movies, you'll like this one. :bg:

Fro
Saw it last night. It takes the idea from the books, but then essentially develops its own story. Fun, though. For those of us who have been reading SF for decades it may be a little dissappointing to see many ideas nodded to but not developed. On the other hand, the special effects were extraordinarily well done, IMHO. I enjoyed it.
inked
"Aslan is not a tame lion. Safe?
No, he's not safe, but he's good."
CSL/LWW
I LIve in sydney, so i robot only opened on july 22 (yesterday) so i haven't since had a chance to see it but from what ive seen in trailers it looks great already!
It's a great movie. It's really funny in parts and it has some of the greatest action sequences I've ever seen. Then, of course, Sonny the Robot is just great (I won't say any more).
Life sucks. Unless bad things happen, you can't be sure you're actually alive.
I thought as much when I saw the trailer. This is just, yet another sci fi classic which has been reduced to a petty action film Rolleyes

Ah well.. Next year Wallace and Grommit hit the big screen. Perhaps they'll stay true to their roots?
:paw: Speak up! Don't mumble!!
I don't think it comes ou tin the UK until August 6 or was it july 6 I dunno. Can someone help me?
Shorey for England!
Reading fans

RoCk On SnOw PaTrOl

- Kwik Silva 44
Quote:This is just, yet another sci fi classic which has been reduced to a petty action film

Alas, yes. It was a decent action film but certainly not on the level of Asimov. In fact, the whole philosophical gist of the movie (such as there was) was pretty much the opposite of Asimov's.
Quote:Originally posted by moif
I thought as much when I saw the trailer. This is just, yet another sci fi classic which has been reduced to a petty action film Rolleyes

Your sentiment is unsurprising, but I must say, I disagree with this comment on several levels. Just because I said there were some very good action sequences (there were), that means that makes the entire movie. I simply don't know what additional information I can give without revealing critical plot points.
Life sucks. Unless bad things happen, you can't be sure you're actually alive.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm I saw the movie and thought that it didn't follow like the book did but the special effects were worth the price of admission. If you want purity then read the book if you want to be entertained then by all means watch the show. :bg:
I thought it was mediocre at best; the special effects were mostly all right and Bridget Moynahan did a decent job, but there were too many mindless chase scenes, and Will Smith just grated on my nerves. I expected some more thoughtful explorations of the future of robots and technology, but it was just another standard Hollywood popcorn action film.

Oh, well ... that's Hollywood for you ...

- David
Will Smith, at one point, stated that he wanted to be a Harrison Ford for African Americans. I would say he's acheived that. Unfortunately, though Ford has proven to have a kind of longevity, it hasn't been in roles that could have made him great. He tried his hand at such stretches in The Mosquito Coast and Regarding Henry, then went back to the forumula that made him famous: action, in which a good man is being harried.

In I, Robot, we get just a bit more than your standard action fare, but not much. Will Smith plays a cop who, despite absolutely no evidence to support him, feels that robots are out to get us. His paranoia stems from a single incident which is referenced only on the side, and barely provides enough psychological justification to allow for Smith's extreme character trait.

But, of course, if you're sitting in this movie, you're not here for a great deal of depth. I, Robot delivers everything it promised in mindless chase scenes, death-defying escapes, and computer graphics that fascinate while they entertain.

As I watched the movie, I never felt that the CGI was overwhelming. Apparently, as with Van Helsing, the "oh, wow" factor is being subsumed by "this is another tool, and we're not going to dwell". Gone are the close-ups to show just how much detail has gone into the creation, and instead the CGI is now being used to provide background, to accomplish shots previously impossible, but not plot integral. To provide a world in which the story can logically and plausibly take place without over-awing because that's where the budget went, or under-awing because of the lack of budget.

I, Robot is a "summer blockbuster" and it's worth seeing in the theatre so long as you know what you're going for. As I told my wife, "I don't want depth today. Just some mindless fun." I, Robot fits the bill nicely.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Thats great RR, but I can't see why they have to vandalise an existing work of art just to make some 'mindless fun'.

Would you scribble with speed marker on the 'Mona Lisa'?
Thats great RR, but I can't see why they have to vandalise an existing work of art just to make some 'mindless fun'.

Would you scribble with speed marker on the 'Mona Lisa'?

<shrug>

Sorry moif, I honestly didn't see the news article that had Will Smith, Alex Proyas or Jeff Vintar going out with their magic markers in an attempt to "vandalize an existing work of art". Maybe that was hushed up over here in the States?

As far as I know, there are still unmarked copies of Asimov's I, Robot available for interested readers to buy or get on loan from the local library.

But past that, and having read I, Robot, I honestly didn't find anything objectionable to what was portrayed on the screen. There were certain questions of being and of creation that were posed. Granted, they didn't go into any great depth to explore those questions, but they were there.

The movie also explored, though never stated, Azimov's notion of the "Zeroth Law of Robotics", which I found pretty cool.

Interestingly enough, the final shot from the movie left the door wide open to some true exploration. It would be nice to re-visit that universe, and actually have a story with some greater depth regarding Sonny and all his NS-5 friends post Will Smith.

Too, I hadn't thought you'd seen the film yet. I have no doubt you won't like it, but don't you think it's a little hard to judge, and judge so harshly, a movie you haven't even seen? Or am I mistaken on that count?

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Its not the film, or even the actors which bother me RR. Its the callous disregard for originality that gets my goat.

If they're going to re write the classics, then why don't they just go that one extra step and write some new classics instead!
Its not the film, or even the actors which bother me RR. Its the callous disregard for originality that gets my goat.

If they're going to re write the classics, then why don't they just go that one extra step and write some new classics instead!

So you're just upset with the movie industry in general, and aiming your ire at this particular film to illucidite that particular rage?

Gotcha! Smile

I'd only counter that by saying that there are "new classics" as you put it, being written, developed and filmed all the time. These kinds of "re written classics" are simply done to make money.

I didn't mind LOTR being re-made but I think they should have permission from the writer to make their books into movies! Or do they have to anyway?
Shorey for England!
Reading fans

RoCk On SnOw PaTrOl

- Kwik Silva 44
I heard that the movie was originally called ahrd weired, then the I, Robot copyright expired or such like, and so the the Laws of Robotics were added in and the movie renamed.
Will Smith is in the house!

The English premier is tonight or now or something! Unluky me! I can't go.

Why couldn't the advance screening be today! Cause I go on holiday tomorrow!

Annoying:teary:
Shorey for England!
Reading fans

RoCk On SnOw PaTrOl

- Kwik Silva 44
Quote:Originally posted by RobRoy
So you're just upset with the movie industry in general, and aiming your ire at this particular film to illucidite that particular rage?

Gotcha! Smile

I'd only counter that by saying that there are "new classics" as you put it, being written, developed and filmed all the time. These kinds of "re written classics" are simply done to make money.

New Sci fi classics?

:confused:

Other than the efforts of George Lucas and the Wachowski brothers, have there been any others recently?

BUt yeah, your right. I'm just gettin' old and grotchety. I am (nearly) 35 you know :ohno:

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best dangerous robot movie? softmachine 5 542 May 22nd, 2008, 06:18 PM
Last Post: Fantasy
  I, Robot... Raziel 8 782 March 17th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Last Post: mpee
  Which Movie Robot Are You? VickiSilverwolf 8 763 February 20th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Last Post: Deluwiel