I,Robot:Has anyone see it yet?
Quote:Originally posted by DeamondBleed
I heard that the movie was originally called ahrd weired, then the I, Robot copyright expired or such like, and so the the Laws of Robotics were added in and the movie renamed.

Sorta. There was a script called Hardwired that started making the rounds and being in and out of development for the last couple of years. Then Fox acquired the rights to Asimov's collection I, Robot. Hardwired was supposed to serve as a "tenth" story to the Asimov collection. After the acquisition of the book rights, the script was re-tailored to Will Smith, and re-named I, Robot.

So, in truth, the movie was supposed to serve as an addition to the book, not as an accurate or inaccurate adaptation of the book. <shrug>

Quote:Originally posted by moif
New Sci fi classics?

:confused:

Other than the efforts of George Lucas and the Wachowski brothers, have there been any others recently?

BUt yeah, your right. I'm just gettin' old and grotchety. I am (nearly) 35 you know :ohno:

I wouldn't consider Lucas' efforts "new science fiction". he's just doing the same ole song and dance.

There is, however, the recent effort of Joss Whedon and his Firefly series that is set to release in less than a year. I've been very impressed with the series and with Whedon's efforts to keep Firefly alive and kicking. There was the (pathetic in my opinion) attempt at franchise through The Chronicles of Riddick.

How "classic" any of these may be, I couldn't say. That would be a matter of both time and personal preference. But there is certainly new stuff comiing out. It isn't a flood of stuff, but it's out there.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Quote:Originally posted by moif

Would you scribble with speed marker on the 'Mona Lisa'?

Why not... advertisers do it all the time and it's fun to see at times. :bg:

[Image: monalisa02.jpg]
:alien: Sci-Fi needs reality TV as much as it needs a Hammer! :mad:
Quote:Originally posted by BlueDelvia
Why not... advertisers do it all the time and it's fun to see at times. :bg:

[Image: monalisa02.jpg]

Oh, man. You just reminded me of one reason I hate most advertising with a passion...

- David
Quote:Originally posted by RxSciFi12
Oh, man. You just reminded me of one reason I hate most advertising with a passion...

- David

Sorry..... :bg:

[Image: monalisa01.jpg]
:alien: Sci-Fi needs reality TV as much as it needs a Hammer! :mad:
I saw this movie with my cousins. And it is really good i enjoyed lots of demented robots at first. I reccomend this movie if you haven't seen it.

Sorry i'm new so i know most of you have already seen it.
Commodor: 'You are by far the worst pirate i have ever heard of'

Cpt Jack Sparrow: 'But you have heard of me'
I must confess I had very grave doubts about this film based on the trailers doing the rounds. It was only after seeing Robin Williams in Bicentenial man, that I decided to go - figured there'd been at least one good robot story made

Was I suprised at what I saw? Yes, there are lots of very subtle homages paid to Asimov through the film. I actually at times felt the producers were almost apologising for what they were doing.

Like many others I found the hardware and effects very well done, subtle overlays to the total plot rather than look at me, as we usually find

Lastly, perhaps more importantly. The fact the film actually had a sub-plot not reliant on love, lack of, desire for...sold me on the overall package.

So in closing - if you are an Asimov fan. It aint near as bad as it could've been. If you aren't - strap yourself in for a hell of a ride
:ohno:
Quote:Originally posted by Glen Chapman
I must confess I had very grave doubts about this film based on the trailers doing the rounds. It was only after seeing Robin Williams in Bicentenial man, that I decided to go - figured there'd been at least one good robot story made

Was I suprised at what I saw? Yes, there are lots of very subtle homages paid to Asimov through the film. I actually at times felt the producers were almost apologising for what they were doing.

Like many others I found the hardware and effects very well done, subtle overlays to the total plot rather than look at me, as we usually find

Lastly, perhaps more importantly. The fact the film actually had a sub-plot not reliant on love, lack of, desire for...sold me on the overall package.

So in closing - if you are an Asimov fan. It aint near as bad as it could've been. If you aren't - strap yourself in for a hell of a ride
:ohno:

Totally agree
Commodor: 'You are by far the worst pirate i have ever heard of'

Cpt Jack Sparrow: 'But you have heard of me'
As a huge Dark City fan, I am disappointed with I, Robot, from a certain point of view. I actually quite enjoyed the movie, how it was actually a 'bit' more than a typical summer blockbuster. I would have liked to see it as 'a lot' more than just an action movie. If you watch the movie on DVD with the commentary there are some interesting comments made by Proyas and Akiva Goldsman. They suggest the studio was more interested in the action side of things, and needed quite a bit of persuading just to include certain bits and even approach the project the way they did.

In Dark City Proyas wrote the story and worked on the screenplay, which gave him much more license. I would really love to see I, Robot based solely on Proyas' interpretation. The Human Condition he weaves into Dark City works wonderfully well, and I think, given his own way, he would have gone more down that path. I also think that someone other than Will Smith (maybe Ethan Hawke or Matt Damon) could have leant more angst and depth to the Spooner character than Smith. Seeing Smith in the movie, IMHO, really demonstrates to me the studio calling the shots on this movie, and wanting a man of action in the lead.

Finally, the artificial arm thing was done in Virtuosity, so I would like to have seen something different with that device.

I'm disappointed that the movie could have been so much more, but was reasonably satisfied with the finished product none-the-less.

~ Matt
when i robot came out i liked it but many people ive spoken to about it dont think so they found it boring!! what do you think about it i mean did you like :bounce: it or did you think it was boring Confusedleep: ?
I didn't think that it was boring at all...it was very entertaining. I just wished that they had incorporated more of Isaac Asimov's stories into it. When I first saw the trailer I thought that they were even going to borrow from the "Caves of Steel" series (there's actually a name for that series but it escapes me).I thought that Will Smith was going to be Lije Bailey...alas,no but it was a decent movie all the same.
" It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Duplicate thread. Please remember to search for older movies, especially the larger films, as likely they've been discussed in some depth by the forum members.

Merging threads.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
In my experience, the term "boring" just means, "I feel like bashing this movie, but I don't have an actual reason for it".
Life sucks. Unless bad things happen, you can't be sure you're actually alive.
I thought the movie was awesome!
If you marry me,
Would you bury me?
Would you carry me
to the end?

(And say goodbye) to the last parade
(And walk away) from the choice you made
(And say goodnight) to the hearts you break
And all the cyanide you
drank

To the End.
So did I. If I didn't, I wouldn't have spent $40 on the special edition, whereas I could've just bought the single disc edition.
And it has Will Smith in it. Thats always a good thing.
Matt Confusedhades::paw::coffee:
And she said 'Hoots I cannae get back tae me hoos in Bonny Scotland'
Girl with the Hazel Eyes - Ahhhhhh!
Hey BOWJ, was there anything remarkable on the "special edition"? It's on my list of things to buy, but way down near the bottom. I'd love to hear a report!

Theres a quite a bit of stuff on the 2nd disc.
-There is a production diary called day out of days.
- post production: CGI and Design
-Sentient Machines:Robotic Behaviour- this is pretty good, but drags out
-About science fiction and robots-this too is good, but it too drags out
-The filmakers toolbox Compositing Breakdowns:Visual effects How tos
-extended and deleted scenes.
-easter eggs.

There is also a making of featurette on disc 1, along with some audio commentaries.

One thing though. The 2nd disc is rather confusing and takes a while to navigate. The information in the documentaries is good,but they do tend to drag out, so you often find yourself going to get something to eat without bothering to pause the dvd.

I'd still recommend it. :bg:

Matt Confusedhades::paw::coffee:
And she said 'Hoots I cannae get back tae me hoos in Bonny Scotland'
Girl with the Hazel Eyes - Ahhhhhh!
Well, this is waaay after the fact, but I just watched it for the first time this afternoon. Very good, I thought. I know some people were concerned that it had too much material to condense into one film. While I haven't read the book (books?), I thought the film was very good.

Will Smith seemed just a little bit different than usual, which is great. I'm looking on IMDb, and it says Alan Tudyk (Wash from Firefly/Serenity) played the main robot. I guess that means the voice. Kind of funny.

Bridget Moynahan was especially beautiful in this movie for some reason. I'd seen her in a few other ones, but she really stood out here. I liked that it was understated in some of it's 'future predictions.' It doesn't beat them to death, or try to be comical or foreboding about them.

I'll probably be picking this one up for the DVD collection. Heck, probably have to read the book now!
Yeah, I saw I Robot and I own it on DVD now. I thought it was really good; movies that take place in the future always make you think about what the world will be like. And the whole entire part about the "Ghosts in the machines" is interesting, because it is a real phenomenon today.
"Yes, some of us liked to cause pain.
Yes, most of us sometimes liked to cause pain,
But I am proud that most of us
Were ashamed afterward."
~Michael Goldman, Report on Human Beings
Spirit Wrote:And the whole entire part about the "Ghosts in the machines" is interesting, because it is a real phenomenon today.

It is? I don't think I've heard anything about that.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best dangerous robot movie? softmachine 5 542 May 22nd, 2008, 06:18 PM
Last Post: Fantasy
  I, Robot... Raziel 8 782 March 17th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Last Post: mpee
  Which Movie Robot Are You? VickiSilverwolf 8 763 February 20th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Last Post: Deluwiel