Screen Legend Marlon Brando Dies at 80
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Marlon Brando, one of the most influential actors of his generation, has died, according to media reports on Friday citing his lawyer. He was 80.

A family friend told Fox News that Brando died on Thursday night at 6:20 p.m. (2220 GMT) in a Los Angeles-area hospital after being taken there on Wednesday. The cause of death was not immediately known.

Brando, with his broken nose and rebel nature, established a more naturalistic style of acting and defined American macho for a generation with classic performances in "A Streetcar Named Desire" (1951), "The Wild One" (1953) and "On the Waterfront" (1954).

To many, Brando remained the motorcycle-riding rebel he played in "The Wild One." Asked what he was rebelling against, Brando replied, "Whaddya got?"

Read the rest here.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Oddly enough, there was a news bit earlier in the week that claimed Brando was deeply in debt, or something along those lines.

The only movie of his that I've seen is The Wild One, which I thought was great.

Even with his relative inactivity in film over the past years, he will no doubt be missed.
You mean you haven't caught THE MEN, STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE, JULIUS CAESAR, ON THE WATERFRONT, THE GODFATHER, APOCALYPSE NOW? Well, don't wait too long, or you are missing out on some of the 20th century's finest films and performances.

Brando could also be in mediocre (BED TIME STORY) or truly terrible movies (CANDY), but he was always interesting to watch. From SUPERMAN to ISLAND OF DR. MOREAU to THE FRESHMAN, he made an indelible impression. While I think his self-revealing performance in LAST TANGO IN PARIS was critically over-rated, I also think his wonderful work in DON JUAN DE MARCO tended to be overlooked.

Rumor has it that he squandered his millions and died near destitute. A pity, but it is clear he lost respect for the profession of acting, and that certainly didn't do his career any good.
Quote:Originally posted by Boomstick
Oddly enough, there was a news bit earlier in the week that claimed Brando was deeply in debt, or something along those lines.

I've heard many such reports. I know that at one point he owned an island, and it was based on his fascination with Tahiti, which he acquired while filming Munity on the Bounty, but more recent troubles with his son, seem to have left him havily in debt.

He certainly seems to have been working a great deal more in the past few years.

Quote:The only movie of his that I've seen is The Wild One, which I thought was great.

Even with his relative inactivity in film over the past years, he will no doubt be missed.

Brando has some excellent films that I think you would enjoy. Namely, On the Waterfront, Apocalypse Now, The Last Tango in Paris, The Godfather, The Freshman, and (one of my favorites) Don Juan DeMarco.

Of interest to the trivia minded, Brando's few minutes of screen time in Superman made more money than Christopher Reeve did as the star for the film.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
True, but Christopher Reeve was an unknown at the time, and it was Brando's agreeing to appear in the movie that led to its being able to be financed by foreign distributors. Hence, Brando earned his paycheck, though not for his acting (though he did bring some gravitas to the project, and dropped out of appearing in SUPERMAN II).
The very first movie that I watched in a theater was Superman 1, and I thought Jor-El was a great character. Sometimes I would watch the Godfather for those scenes with Don Vito, especially that one where he was mimicking Jhonny Fontane when the actor was crying and telling him 'Be a man!'
While it is not much mentioned, I really do enjoy Brando's directorial debut ONE-EYED JACKS, and think the film had a large influence on Clint Eastwood's THE UNFORGIVEN. The film was originally prepped by Stanley Kubrick, who left to do SPARTACUS instead. Brando went way over time and over budget, but it remains a daringly different western and is well worth checking out.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Film Director of Boyz and hood and Poetic Justice dies: John Singleton badlands 0 322 April 30th, 2019, 04:35 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Is there a movie about the life of the Rock and roll legend: Little Richard? badlands 2 383 January 24th, 2019, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Michael
  A movie about the Mexican legend of Popcatepatl and Iztaccihuatl badlands 2 361 February 7th, 2017, 03:47 PM
  The Legend of Korra badlands 3 369 May 12th, 2016, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Legend of the Seeker Fans Asking Sam Raimi for a Movie (again) FilmGuy 0 215 November 4th, 2014, 02:42 AM
Last Post: FilmGuy
  Voice Over Artist Hal Douglas dies (Videos) FilmGuy 2 852 April 19th, 2014, 11:24 PM
  The Legend of Olwood - Full Movie legendofolwood 4 1,309 April 9th, 2013, 12:48 AM
Last Post: badlands
  Video: Trailer for "Legend of Olwood" FilmGuy 3 1,012 January 17th, 2012, 01:20 PM
  B-Movie Horror and SciFi Producer Richard Gordon dies Michael 0 419 November 6th, 2011, 12:39 AM
  Kristin Kreuk, Michael Clark Duncan in "Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li" Michael 41 3,592 July 12th, 2011, 03:27 AM
Last Post: august