Anti Behaviour
What do you think of Behaviour altering drugs? Things like anti depressants, Riterlin, focosine, etc.
From what I've heard, they're over prescribed. They seem to have become the 'cure all.' Hyperactive kids are diagnosed AD/HD and stuck on Riddlin when all they needed was to be kicked out of the house for a few hours a day to get some excersize.

Personally, I don't even take pain killers unless I'm really needing them. I just don't like the idea of fixing everything by popping a pill. So I wouldn't ever take a behaviour altering drug even if a Doc told me to.
Quote:Originally posted by Boomstick
Personally, I don't even take pain killers unless I'm really needing them. I just don't like the idea of fixing everything by popping a pill. So I wouldn't ever take a behaviour altering drug even if a Doc told me to.

No offense Boomer, as I do generally agree with your position, but this statement strikes me as somewhat irresponsible. If a doctor had advised that you take a mood altering medication, I would suggest that you seek a second opinion. But I wouldn't dismiss his suggestion out of hand just because of news reports claiming that such drugs have been over-prescribed (which I'm sure they have been).

As someone who does take medication constantly, and will for the rest of my life, though thankfully not mood altering, I do speak a bit from experience. Failure to take my medication will likely cause all kinds of increasingly painful and difficult problems that will most likely result in a costly and painful return to surgery, and weeks of recovery, not to mention loss of time at work and pay during that time. This is as much irresponsible on my part toward myself, as it is irresponsible to my friends and family. I may be the guy sitting under the knife, but they are the ones worried that I might not wake up, and they will have to shuttle me to and from the hospital, to exams, to pick up medications, etc. If I fold on my medical payments, they will likely be stuck with the tab, and if not them, then others.

I would think someone who has sought assistance from a doctor and been instructed to take a mood altering medication, if they were in need of such a medication, would be highly irresponsible if they refused to take it. Medical conditions requiring medication, physical or mental, impact more than just the individual. Failure to address these under proper advice from a professional is selfish and self-centered.

You do what you can to be healthy, physically and mentally, as much for yourself as for those who are near and dear to you.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Quote:Originally posted by RobRoy
You do what you can to be healthy, physically [b]and mentally, as much for yourself as for those who are near and dear to you. [/B]

i agree with u on that one 100% rob

i would have to say though, that if i am not prescribed, i try not to take pain pills, as i have an ego problem, and i think i can always take the pain:bg: But, i do take vitamins once in a while, and when i am prescribed to something, i will always take the prescribed amount

thankfully, i have been blessed with basically an injury and problematic free life, and have been prescribed only ibprofeuen (sp?)
Don't do nothing.
At one point I was in the position where I might have been made to take riterlin (I don't know why, I've always been really placid), however because of the negative effect it had on so many other people in my situation my parents decided to look at alternatives, no talking to other doctors, but looking into complaints about riterlin, alternative therapies, etc. Currently of the people who whent onto drugs and me, I'm one of only a few to actually finish school, and I think the only one to do thershiry education.
Hyperactive kids are diagnosed AD/HD and stuck on Riddlin when all they needed was to be kicked out of the house for a few hours a day to get some excersize.

Here, I disagree. While in some cases it may be so, in others this medication is imperative. I new a little girl who was a friends sister who was severely hyper-active. At first everyone thought she was just very energetic, until she reached school, it got to the point where she was so frustrated at being in a classroom, that no matter how much excersise and playtime she got, she was constantly naughty and couldn't concentrate. She started to be disliked by her peers, which was unfortunate as she could be a lovely little girl. It also affected her learning. In the 3rd grade, she could have barely passed by a 1st grade standard.

The family took her to the doctors, he prescribed Rittalin, and ever since it has helped her moods and concentration. Which has helped her learning in leaps and bounds. In the end, it was really the only option!
Would you like some salsa for that chip on your shoulder? - JD, Scrubs

Asparagus Tribe Leader
Quote:Originally posted by RobRoy
Medical conditions requiring medication, physical or mental, impact more than just the individual. Failure to address these under proper advice from a professional is selfish and self-centered.

You do what you can to be healthy, physically [b]and
mentally, as much for yourself as for those who are near and dear to you. [/B]

I understand what you're saying, and I'd of course take any medication for a heart condition, for example. I'm not foolish enough to dismiss things like that. But, excepting anti-psychotics, which would probably be forced on me anyway, I'd rather be depressed and brooding that prozac happy if it was ever to come to that. But seriously, when it comes to moods, I honestly don't believe that drugs are necessary. There's plent of lifestyle changes that one can make to change their frame of mind.

I'm sure that there are mental conditions that could only be treated by drugs, but I'm going to stay out on my limb and suggest that most could be fought with lifestyle changes and willpower. Maybe I'm way off base, who knows.

Quote:Originally posted by Lovin'Legolas
Here, I disagree. While in some cases it may be so, in others this medication is imperative.

Oh, I know. I didn't mean to imply that AD/HD (or ADD, I don't know what they're calling it now) is a fictional condition. In many cases the medication is helpful and effective. However, in many others, it's not necessary at all.
Quote:Originally posted by Lovin'Legolas
Here, I disagree. While in some cases it may be so, in others this medication is imperative. I new a little girl who was a friends sister who was severely hyper-active. At first everyone thought she was just very energetic, until she reached school,

According to a documentary I saw on TV some time ago, research has shown that there is a strong correlation between hyperactivity and time spent in front of the TV during the first three years of the infant's life. Parents who use TV as an alternative to playing or quality time with their kids are irresponsible. The expert said that this was not so much because TV is bad but because the kid is missing out on other things. He warned against letting kids under 3 watch more than an hour of TV per day.
sorry, the above post is by me
Sometimes, anit psychotic meds are absolutly necessary.

Got a 911 call from a woman who claimed her upstairs neighbors were stealing her vertebrae. Honest to God. Said she was 5'9" the night before, but they stole three of her vertebrae and now she's 5'2". Started to take her shirt off in the hallway to show us the scar.

We calmed her down, got her back in her apparment and talked her into going to the hospital to talk to somebody. She agreed and was getting ready, brushing her hair in the mirror, when she started and said "These...these aren't my eyes."

O Kayyyyyyyyy thinks I, "How do you mean, miss?"

"These are Brown."

Which was true enough. "So, what color were yours?"

"Blue. That's it, I have to find my eyes. I can't go out with these."

In desperation, I told her we could check the Eye bank at the hospital and see if anybody had turned in some missing blue ones. She very happily agreed to go with us.

Technically, we aren't supposed to do that, but we couldn't leave her to start banging on doors demanding her eyes back, and the alternative was to have the police cuff her and toss her in our truck, so I think my solution worked out fine.

This woman sufferes from paranoid delusions, but as long as she stays on her meds she is fine. Holds down a job, has a family, functions perfectly well . When she doesn't take them, well...

So, I think that there is definitly a place for these drugs. Yes, some doctors may be over-diagnosing or overprescribing, but that problem lies with these individual doctors, not the drugs. If you doubt your doctors opinion, go elsewhere, but don't be one of those people who wants St John's Wort to cure there congestive heart failure.

That just makes more work for me.
Wrestling Darwin on a daily basis.

"Question boldly even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, He must more approve of the homage of reason than that of a blindfolded fear." -Thomas Jefferson
I guess it goes to show that purhaps science just dosen't know enough about these things.
I understand what you're saying, and I'd of course take any medication for a heart condition, for example. I'm not foolish enough to dismiss things like that. But, excepting anti-psychotics, which would probably be forced on me anyway, I'd rather be depressed and brooding that prozac happy if it was ever to come to that. But seriously, when it comes to moods, I honestly don't believe that drugs are necessary. There's plent of lifestyle changes that one can make to change their frame of mind.

I'm sure that there are mental conditions that could only be treated by drugs, but I'm going to stay out on my limb and suggest that most could be fought with lifestyle changes and willpower. Maybe I'm way off base, who knows.

Of all those who suffer clinical depression, I don't know that you could make such a blanket statement. Those that have been diagnosed as being clinically depressed, or manic-depressive, don't have the same highs and lows that a "normal" person does. In the case of manic-depressives, their mood swings are off the charts, so that they might be incredibly energetic and happy one week, and the next so low you'd think their entire family had been raped and murdered before their eyes. The same with clinical depressives. Their lows are amazingly low. Consider your worst day, lower it by an order of magnitude, then mutiply by a lifetime of such days.

Not overly appealing.

But these are diagnosed individuals. Of such a group, I understand that there is a percentage who can combat their depression with exercise and lifestyle. But the majority who are diagnosed are in need of additional assistance, whether that's chemical, counseling or both.

Also, from what I understand, such drugs either help regulate the normal chemical functions of the body/brain, or they help increase reception of certain chemicals. Thus, it isn't the medicine itself that induces mood change, but re-regulation of your own bodies chemicals.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
I agree with RobRoy, my mom suffers from such disorders (manic depressive bipolar) and she would seriously be unbearable to even be near if she did not have meds to be on. If it is a chemical imbalance, no amount of healthy living is going to cure something like that. People like my mom NEED their meds or they are a serious harm to themselves and others around them.
"We have not had dealings with the Dwarves since the Dark Days." ~Haldir

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Walt Disney: a racist and anti-Jew? badlands 5 873 January 17th, 2019, 08:59 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Myth of the Anti-Social Loner Space Marshal 5 860 February 20th, 2016, 10:09 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  disney really anti wolf or predator or Asia and black? badlands 0 805 August 22nd, 2012, 12:07 AM
Last Post: badlands
  Japanese Anti Rape/Mugging Dress Transforms Into Vending Machine RobRoy 2 1,124 November 5th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Last Post: RobRoy
  "Hooked" anti-smoking ads spark record complaints RobRoy 4 834 May 21st, 2007, 12:41 PM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Maryland Passes Nation's Most Stringent Anti-Spam Bill SpringfieldST 0 486 April 16th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Last Post: SpringfieldST
  Anti-Piracy Ads JonBon 2 444 February 16th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Last Post: JonBon
  Anti-acne products: what really works? the firstborn 24 1,437 June 16th, 2003, 07:25 PM
Last Post: the firstborn
  anti american sentiments afro-elf 27 1,556 February 19th, 2003, 11:03 AM
Last Post: CJ~
  anti-immigration afro-elf 1 446 February 19th, 2003, 06:50 AM
Last Post: JonBon