Your 10 most anticipated movies
what 10 movies are you most excited about?

In No order

The Passion ( Theres a new title i think)
The punisher
ENVY
Scary movie 4...Yea...im weird
Matrix 3
LOTR 3
Mystic River ( I STILL DIDNT SEE IT!!!)
Spider man 2
Pirates of the carribean 2
....and most of all actually...yea this is weird of me but...........HALLOWEEN 9!!!
[posting violation edited - RR]
Hell....no wait, New york..... The part where there are wanna be gangsters! OH NO!!
Is this movies you haven't seen or movies you were really excited about?

Oh, and I can see people telling that Matrix: Revolutions isn't worth it, don't listen, they're clearly crazy, go out and see it. It's worth it.
Some of these movies have been released but I havent seen them yet so I guess I'm "anticipating" seeing them.

Mystic River
Harry Potter : Prisoner of Askaban
City of God
The Passion
King Arthur
Spiderman 2
Farenheit 9/11
Bloody Sunday
The Village
Monster
These are roughly in order based on when they will come out...

Spiderman 2
Batman Begins
The Life Aquatic
Episode 3
The Fantastic Four
X3
John Carter On Mars
Iron Man (X-mas 2005)
Charlie & The Chocolate Factory
Foundation
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Arthur C. Clarke: Clarke's Third Law from Profiles of the Future: An Inquiry into the Limits of the Possible
My top 10, in no particular order:

The Libertine
X3
Charlie & The Chocolate Factory
Finding Neverland
The Calcium Kid
PotC 2
Haven
Kingdom of Heaven
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Episode 3

Who can guess the main actors in my movies :laugh: Yeah Im a sad case....
In :love: with Johnny :kiss:
-
In lust with Orlando Heart
I don't think I have 10

In no paticular order:
The Corperation
Micheal Moore's new movie (I forget the name)
The Weather Underground
Batman Begins
I thought i'd already answered a question like this but perhaps it was in a different thread however here's some movies im looking forward to seeing, some are out on DVD now:

Mystic River
Shrek 2
POTC 2
I, Robot
X3
Around the world in eighty days
Farenheit 9/11
Spiderman 2
Thunderbirds
Monster

:chinese:
Quote:Originally posted by sarahloui
I thought i'd already answered a question like this but perhaps it was in a different thread however here's some movies im looking forward to seeing, some are out on DVD now:

Mystic River
POTC 2
X3
Farenheit 9/11
Thunderbirds

For what it's worth, I highly recomend Mystic River. A movie worthy of the praise it recieved, IMO.

I'm also looking forward to the two sequels you have, PotC 2 and X3.

Farenheit 9/11 should prove interesting. Reviews I've seen so far say that Moore handles the material well, not like you'd expect him to relative to his past outburts against the current U.S. government.

I don't know much about Thunderbirds, but Jonathan Frakes' Trek movies proved that he's a solid director, IMO. I never saw his movie Clockstoppers, though.
I, Robot with Will Smith, is on my list, mainly because it is an Alex Proyas film - the guy who did Dark City. While the previews make it look more like an action/adventure type scifi flick, I'll still be interested to see if Proyas is able to add depth to it like in his original masterpiece.

~ Matt
"So they were told when the moon would rise, the best time to leave with your soul, she's gone but towards the light, watching her whole life unfold..." Crowded House - Catherine Wheels
Quote:Originally posted by mpee
[b]I, Robot with Will Smith, is on my list, mainly because it is an Alex Proyas film - the guy who did Dark City.
[/B]

I've never read the book, and I wasn't sure if I was going to see the movie. I didn't know Proyas directed it. I'll definitly see it now. He did The Crow, one of my top 10 favorite movies of all time. For all the articles and discussion I've seen on it, I've never watched Dark City! Maybe this weekend.
Hiya Boomstick

I, Robot is actually a collection of short stories (by Asimov), which explores The Three Laws of Robotics. Don't ask me what those laws are off the top of my head, but it's easy enough for me to check if you wish.

It's quite an interesting read.

What the heck!

The Laws are:

1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction allow a human being to come to harm.

2. A robot must obey the orders given to it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

The short stories explore different scenarios where the Laws conflict, or seem to conflict. I actually enjoyed the way Asimov establishes these laws and then explores how they define and steer a robots actions. Some really clever writing there!

I know a preview doesn't really give that much away, but the Will Smith movie looks like the robots end up with murderous intent and go on a rampage. It will be interesting to see how the writers and Proyas manage to adhere this plot point with the Three Laws of Robotics.
And Boomstick, I can hardly believe you haven't seen Dark City!:ohno:

You can see with The Crow that Proyas was learning his art, whereas with Dark City he has become the master. Just be warned with Dark City however, that there is no middle road. Either you will love it or hate it! Many people claim it borrows heavily from The Matrix, but Dark City was first. That is important to remember. It's also darker in tone and style than The Matrix, and plays out very much like film noir.
"So they were told when the moon would rise, the best time to leave with your soul, she's gone but towards the light, watching her whole life unfold..." Crowded House - Catherine Wheels
You can see with [b]The Crow that Proyas was learning his art, whereas with Dark City he has become the master. Just be warned with Dark City however, that there is no middle road. [/B]

Just to dissent this broad generalization, I neither liked nor disliked Dark City. It was an interesting concept, though largely boring to my mind. I found the initial thirty minutes of the film compelling, then the remainder of the film somewhat "more of the same". I found The Crow a far better peice of effort than Dark City. <shrug>
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Most of all I'm looking forward to seeing 'Alexander'.

...as for 'Dark City', its just a rip off of 'The City of Lost Children'.
:paw: Speak up! Don't mumble!!
Well, I was waiting for The Terminal but I saw that this morning. Worth the wait, one of Hanks' best performances.

The only movie I've really been anticipating - and for many months now - is The Village, by M. Night Shyamalan. I can't wait till that comes out.
Sheldon: I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.

~ The Big Bang Theory
Quote:Originally posted by GamgeeFest
The only movie I've really been anticipating - and for many months now - is The Village, by M. Night Shyamalan. I can't wait till that comes out.

I'd forgotten about that one! I like Shyamalan's films. I think he's a really solid screenwriter and director. He's gotten his share of hype, but I'd still say he's underrated. There was a bit of bashing him on many boards I frequent that started a while back. I felt it was totally unwarrented. Just normal fame/backlash effect, I guess.
Quote:Originally posted by RobRoy
Just to dissent this broad generalization, I neither liked nor disliked Dark City. It was an interesting concept, though largely boring to my mind. I found the initial thirty minutes of the film compelling, then the remainder of the film somewhat "more of the same". I found The Crow a far better peice of effort than Dark City. <shrug>

Then RobRoy, you are the first person I've encountered who has neither loved nor loathed Dark City!

More of the same...boring?! When I was in high-school all my teachers had the habit of saying that boredom is self-imposed. So, RR, what made Dark City boring?

Anyway, I watched The Crow last night and found it very choppily put together and edited. The number of 1-3 second pickup shots is extremely high; I lost count after 60 or so of these. This to me suggests an extensive reworking of the original footage. I do remember some pickup shots had to be done with a stand-in for Brandon Lee as he passed away while on shoot.

The use of symbolic imagery tended to blur: like the purification process of both water and fire. These weren't clearly defined, outlined, or explored within the movie.

The interplay between dialogue and soundtrack is poorly balanced in that it almost seems that where dialogue was 'thin' or non-exsistent, it was like there was an attitude of 'let's fill this space with music', rather than flesh out the dialogue some more. Dialogue was relatively austere throughout the movie anyway. It was visually driven, with dialogue seemingly a secondary consideration.

A lot of the set work in The Crow was suggestive of a certain tone, rather than actually representative; in other words, quite Spartan. For example, many of the building shots like Eric's apartment, tend to be wide shots, as under close ups the sets would not bear up to much scrutiny. This suggests a lack of detail in the model work. There are many more close-ups of set work in Dark City.

The Crow (while it is a movie I really DO like) is rather inconsistent in its tone and production quality, for the reasons stated above, and others which I have not raised here. Dark City, on the other hard, is a much more carefully put together film: the tone is consistent from beginning to end, symbolism is not jumbled and is more subtle (so many people don't 'get' the putting of the goldfish back in the bowl), dialogue is more even, post-production effects more convincing. Kafka-like aliens are maintained throughout the entire movie, and an homage to German b&w moviemaking from the 20s, 30s and 40s clearly established and maintained throughout, while holding and maintaining a sense of film noir at its core. Such extensive devices were blatantly absent from The Crow.

So, RobRoy, I don't know how you can say that The Crow 'is a far better peice [sic] of effort than Dark City'. Clearly more thought AND effort have gone into bringing Dark City to the screen than The Crow. Dark City will always be a far better piece of effort than The Crow.

~ Matt
Only Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban for me. See how many times I go to the movie theaters! I mostly rent the DVD's. :bg:
UM#333 Kea - Keeper of the sayings:

"You must have been the smartest one in your village."

"Houston, we have a problem!"
"Who's Houston?"
Then RobRoy, you are the first person I've encountered who has neither loved nor loathed Dark City!

More of the same...boring?! When I was in high-school all my teachers had the habit of saying that boredom is self-imposed.

If boredom is self-imposed, then, in this case, it was only because I remained to see the conclusion of the movie, when I could have been out watching the grass grow. Honestly, just because I have an opinion on a movie that differs, doesn't mean that my opinion is any more or less valid than anyone elses.

Quote:So, RR, what made Dark City boring?

The plot plodded along. The character development was weak. The cinematography wasn't organic. The dialogue was stale. The conclusion was predictable.

Even then, I enjoyed the movie for what it was. But as I said, past the initial thirty minutes of introduction of "Hey, that's odd" thoughts from the main character, it was just more of "Hey, that's odd . . . again" as the movie winded down to its "shocking" conclusion.

Quote:Anyway, I watched The Crow last night and found it very choppily put together and edited. The number of 1-3 second pickup shots is extremely high; I lost count after 60 or so of these. This to me suggests an extensive reworking of the original footage. I do remember some pickup shots had to be done with a stand-in for Brandon Lee as he passed away while on shoot.

He didn't pass, he was killed. Accidentally, but he was shot on the set. This did require some fancy footwork with a double, unused footage, and some digital wizardy. In contrast to Dark City, at least for me, this lent itself to the action sequences and gave a more organic feel to the movie. It was unfortunate, but most people I've talked to didn't even know that Brandon Lee had died during principle shooting.

Still, even then, the shots worked for me. Shot length doesn't dictate the quality of a movie, if the praise for The Five Obstructions is anything to go on, given that the first segment/obstruction was shot under the rather stringent demand that no shot last more than 12 frames.

Quote:The use of symbolic imagery tended to blur: like the purification process of both water and fire. These weren't clearly defined, outlined, or explored within the movie.

Perhaps to you. They seemed relatively well-formed and well explored to me. An excellent balance between symbolism, character growth, and action was struck to keep the movie from bogging down and becoming so much diatribe.

Quote:The interplay between dialogue and soundtrack is poorly balanced in that it almost seems that where dialogue was 'thin' or non-exsistent, it was like there was an attitude of 'let's fill this space with music', rather than flesh out the dialogue some more. Dialogue was relatively austere throughout the movie anyway. It was visually driven, with dialogue seemingly a secondary consideration.

That's an interesting take. In the original comics (which I picked up a few years back) the action was always intersperced with music. In fact, O'Barr said something to the effect that music became a driving force for him when he was working on the project, and thus also for his main character.

Quote:A lot of the set work in The Crow was suggestive of a certain tone, rather than actually representative; in other words, quite Spartan. For example, many of the building shots like Eric's apartment, tend to be wide shots, as under close ups the sets would not bear up to much scrutiny. This suggests a lack of detail in the model work. There are many more close-ups of set work in Dark City.

If Lucas has proved anything it is that more is not always better. The Crow worked magnificently with what it had. It's budget was a very modest $15 million, which doesn't leave a lot of room for detail oriented delving into sets. The sets weren't key anyhow, as the action depended mostly upon characters, and was character driven. Something Dark City suffered from, where the action was more or less plot driven, and the characters just moving according to script, rather than their own motivations.

[/quote]So, RobRoy, I don't know how you can say that The Crow 'is a far better peice [sic] of effort than Dark City'. Clearly more thought AND effort have gone into bringing Dark City to the screen than The Crow. Dark City will always be a far better piece of effort than The Crow.[/QUOTE]

The only thing your forgot to add was "in my opinion". Because, at the end of the day, there are any number of ways we can go back and forth, but there is no qualitative or quantitative measure by which your statements can be born out. For example, The Crow was made for just $15 million, and grossed over $50 million domestically and $94 million world wide. Dark City on the other hand, cost almost twice as much to make, ringing in at $27 million, and yet only make $14 million domestically, and didn't even break $1 million world wide.

Does this really mean anything? <shrug> Maybe, maybe not. The point is that in my opinion I found Dark City to be rather hum-drum, and The Crow to be far more entertaining. Smile

But I don't fault your opinion. It's yours, and you're welcome to it.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Quote:Originally posted by RobRoy
If boredom is self-imposed, then, in this case, it was only because I remained to see the conclusion of the movie, when I could have been out watching the grass grow. Honestly, just because I have an opinion on a movie that differs, doesn't mean that my opinion is any more or less valid than anyone elses.

If I gave the impression that I was trying to invalidate your take on the movie, then I'm sorry for that. My intent was merely to present certain facts (?) to prove that Dark City was not a BETTER movie, but a BETTER produced movie. As you mentioned, Dark City cost almost twice as much.

Quote:The plot plodded along. The character development was weak. The cinematography wasn't organic. The dialogue was stale. The conclusion was predictable.

I don't think it was ever really a movie about the characters per se, rather a situational story. Characters just needed to be generic, as they were not really the drive, rather the confusion/mystery was. The cinematography and dialogue has never bothered me, as they seem to reflect and support the tone of the movie.

Quote:Even then, I enjoyed the movie for what it was. But as I said, past the initial thirty minutes of introduction of "Hey, that's odd" thoughts from the main character, it was just more of "Hey, that's odd . . . again" as the movie winded down to its "shocking" conclusion.

There's film noir for you, which has the trait of making the viewer think exactly what you've expressed there. The audience only learns things as the main protragonist moves along in the story.

Quote:He didn't pass [away], he was killed. Accidentally, but he was shot on the set.

I know he was shot on set, but preferred a euphemistic turn of phrase.

Quote:This did require some fancy footwork with a double, unused footage, and some digital wizardy. In contrast to Dark City, at least for me, this lent itself to the action sequences and gave a more organic feel to the movie. It was unfortunate, but most people I've talked to didn't even know that Brandon Lee had died during principle shooting.

Then I guess that's one point where we have to agree to disagree. I feel neither TC or DC were meant to be organic productions at all. Where I said The Crow was choppy, I think this was intentional, as it reflects the intended tone and style of the movie. Organic is not a word I would choose to use. I think the most organic thing about The Crow was the cleansing rain. I would have thought Proyas was intending to demonstrate just how IN-organic the world of The Crow is.

Quote:Perhaps to you. They seemed relatively well-formed and well explored to me. An excellent balance between symbolism, character growth, and action was struck to keep the movie from bogging down and becoming so much diatribe.

As a purification process fire tended to be means of man - T-Bird and his gang. However, Eric uses this means himself, which plays down any sort of spirituality about his character. I don't know the comic book at all around which the movie is based, so maybe you can explain that one to me.

Quote:That's an interesting take. In the original comics (which I picked up a few years back) the action was always intersperced with music. In fact, O'Barr said something to the effect that music became a driving force for him when he was working on the project, and thus also for his main character.

Okay, I had no idea about that. Now that you have informed me, I can see why Proyas and the writers chose less dialogue and more interspersion with music.

Quote:If Lucas has proved anything it is that more is not always better. The Crow worked magnificently with what it had. It's budget was a very modest $15 million, which doesn't leave a lot of room for detail oriented delving into sets. The sets weren't key anyhow, as the action depended mostly upon characters, and was character driven. Something Dark City suffered from, where the action was more or less plot driven, and the characters just moving according to script, rather than their own motivations.

I didn't think I once tried to say Dark City was a better movie, rather that it was a better produced movie. I mentioned some of the issues I had with the haphazard style of The Crow and thought this was a result of production. I think the finished product of Dark City showed stronger production values over The Crow.

Quote:The only thing your forgot to add was "in my opinion". Because, at the end of the day, there are any number of ways we can go back and forth, but there is no qualitative or quantitative measure by which your statements can be born out. For example, The Crow was made for just $15 million, and grossed over $50 million domestically and $94 million world wide. Dark City on the other hand, cost almost twice as much to make, ringing in at $27 million, and yet only make $14 million domestically, and didn't even break $1 million world wide.

Okay, yeah, that was IMO. I would have thought that by now Box Office success is not necessarily a reflection of the quality of a movie. Some of the more acclaimed (award-winning) movies are not intended to be Box Office sensations.

Quote:Does this really mean anything? <shrug> Maybe, maybe not. The point is that in my opinion I found Dark City to be rather hum-drum, and The Crow to be far more entertaining. Smile

Entertaining yes! I agree that The Crow is more entertaining. What I found most enjoyable about Dark City is the intrigue, style and mood. I found Dark City stimulating, but not The Crow.

I think The Crow was done/produced moreso as an entertainment piece, whereas the purpose of Dark City was only to be mildly entertaining, and moreso 'layered' for want of a better term. I think Proyas was intending to present a modern day Bladerunner - a deeply toned, moody piece that explored the Human Condition. Now, whether Dark City explores the Human Condition with any degreee of skill is a different debate to explore.

~ Matt
Quote:Originally posted by Boomstick
I'd forgotten about that one! I like Shyamalan's films. I think he's a really solid screenwriter and director. He's gotten his share of hype, but I'd still say he's underrated. There was a bit of bashing him on many boards I frequent that started a while back. I felt it was totally unwarrented. Just normal fame/backlash effect, I guess.

This was after Unbreakable came out, I assume? I know he got a lot of backlash for it and people started saying he was a fluke. Or at least, that's what I understood happened. I never got it though. Unbreakable, in many ways, is a far better movie than The Sixth Sense. Shyamalan is one of those director's that can totally immerse you into a story. He isn't afraid to take the time to set up the story and make the characters real. He understands how important that is and it always pays off in the end.

I suspect you're right about the fame/backlash effect. It was probably made all the more hostile since Shyamalan, for most of us, came out of nowhere with The Sixth Sense.
Sheldon: I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.

~ The Big Bang Theory

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Video games that you like to see as movies badlands 4 483 September 9th, 2021, 01:14 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Video: What the original 2 Stargate sequel movies would have been like Michael 0 120 July 5th, 2021, 02:22 AM
  Time Travel Movies BloggerBunny_25 1 172 July 3rd, 2021, 11:02 AM
  Gender Bender movies badlands 1 452 April 1st, 2020, 11:18 AM
  Cursed movies and shows badlands 2 439 March 2nd, 2020, 04:47 PM
Last Post: Agaricus
  Video: Real Navy Seal reviews military movies Michael 0 390 February 18th, 2020, 01:54 AM
  Video: Former mob boss reviews mob movies Michael 0 441 February 18th, 2020, 01:52 AM
  Are there movies about the Skeleton coast telling about genocide that happened there? badlands 0 329 January 21st, 2020, 10:48 PM
Last Post: badlands
Big Grin NEW SCI-FI MOVIES spock00001 4 1,151 December 1st, 2019, 07:04 PM
Last Post: Spacecadet11
  Which is best Comedy Movies to watch in free time? geekguy1829 1 812 September 17th, 2019, 12:18 AM
Last Post: badlands