Moody's Boggart
This has been on my mind for ages and ages, but I always forget to post it, so here it is...

Lupin says in PoA something like 'No one knows what the true form of a boggart is'. Now we all know what a Boggart is and what it does. So I won't go into that.

But in OoTP Mrs Weasley asks Moody something like 'Alastor, can you check a chest of draws (or something like that) to see whats in there...I think its a Boggart'. OK, so Moody uses his magic eye to look and see if its a Boggart. He says 'Yes Molly, its a Boggart'.

Now what does he actually see? Because the Boggart can't see him, so I'm not sure wether it would turn into something Moody fears.

But if no one knows what the true form of a boggart is...what is it that Moody sees? Would it be the last thing the Boggart changed into? If so, lets say it was a big spider, how would Moody actually know its a Boggart and not just a big spider...he sounded very sure when he said it was a Boggart.
Save a tree! (eat a beaver)
Interesting question. I had forgotten about that scene, and was wondering why no one ever did something like that to see what a Boggart looked like in its natural state.
i think that the boggart would turn into moodys worst nightmare(which might happen to be him being locked up in a chest for a few monthsWink )
i am sure he knows by than what his worst nightmare is, and when he looks, he identifies it as the thing he is most scared of, and than he knows its a boggart
Don't do nothing.
But the boggart couldn't see him, so how would it know who was looking at him and what his worst nightmare was? Or can boggarts see through walls and the floor and such?
Part the mists and look beyond... there you will find Avalon.
After reading these, i was thinking maybe the Boggart can't control what form it takes (it may not even realise what it is most of the time), so its sitting there, hidden away in the form of something, then when Moody can see it himself, it changes, without being able to control it.

So maybe you just have to see it, for it to take the form of something you fear.
But in POA, doesn't Lupin tell his DADA class that because there are so many of them, they will have an advantage over the Boggart because it will be confused as it will not know what form to take? This implies that the Boggart has control over it's shape shifting abilities. Also, the Boggart only changes shape when confronted by a different student. If it had no contol over it's shape then if 10 people look at it at the same time it it should try and assume 10 different shapes involuntarily. Harry was looking at it during the class but it didn't try and assume the shape of a dementor, because the Boggart was looking at other students.

I would say that Moody, thanks to his eye, does know the true form of a Boggart, but everyone else, because they don't have that advatage, doesn't. This does not contradict what Lupin says in POA. How many wizards have a magic eyeball? Only one, as far as we know. So if 99.99999% of the wizard population doesn't know what a Boggart looks like, Lupin is fairly safe to round that up to 'no one'.
Quote:Originally posted by Jammin

I would say that Moody, thanks to his eye, does know the true form of a Boggart, but everyone else, because they don't have that advatage, doesn't. This does not contradict what Lupin says in POA. How many wizards have a magic eyeball? Only one, as far as we know. So if 99.99999% of the wizard population doesn't know what a Boggart looks like, Lupin is fairly safe to round that up to 'no one'.

Well he clearly isn't safe to say that! If Moody knows what its true form is, i'm sure people would be interested to know. (if Lupin was wrong, then im sure Hermione would have corrected him...haha)
I agree with Jammin. I also think that he can see the real form of the Boggart because of his eye. But what would happen, if he looks at the Boggart with his normal eye? Would it transform into the thing he fears most or does his magic eye "protect" him?
Quote:Originally posted by davedapunk
Well he clearly isn't safe to say that! If Moody knows what its true form is, i'm sure people would be interested to know.
Yes, but you try getting anything out of Moody that he doesn't want to tell you! :bg:

In all honesty, I doubt that this particular conundrum had been considered by JKR when she wrote POA, so it made sense at the time to say that no one knew what a boggart looked like. You've identified a continuity blip and here we all are trying to fill the hole in the logic. Unless JKR comes out with a specific answer, we have just speculation and best guesses. My guess suits me, so until someone comes up with a better answer, I'm sticking to it.Wink

Ginger, my point is that the Boggart assumes a shape based on the person it is looking at, not based on the person looking at it. In the DADA class, the boggart is confronted by one student at a time. As it is only looking at one student at a time, it is able to assume the shape of that person's greatest fear individually. If the whole class stood together in front of it, it would see lots of people and then be confused as to what shape it should assume. If it assumed a shape based on someone looking at it rather than the other way round then it would be confused immediately because the whole class is looking at it. When it first comes out of the wardrobe, it appears as Snape. This is because it is looking at Neville, can sense what his greatest fear is and can assume that shape. However, the rest of the class looking on also see Snape, not their own fear. They are looking at the Boggart, but the Boggart is not looking at them.

As for Moody's eye protecting him or not, I doubt it because once it transforms, Moody would see what it has transformed into, with both eyes. Moddy's advantage seems to be that he can look inside whatever the Boggart is hiding in, and 'see' it before it transforms.
after reading all the books, my thoughts on the matter were that...

a boggart had like an alarm system to show if someone was looking at him
it is a natural reflex, than, to turn into their worst fear

so once moody looked through the cupboard, the alarm went off, and the boggart recognized and reacted to moody's worst fear
Don't do nothing.
Quote:Originally posted by Captiang
after reading all the books, my thoughts on the matter were that...

a boggart had like an alarm system to show if someone was looking at him
it is a natural reflex, than, to turn into their worst fear

so once moody looked through the cupboard, the alarm went off, and the boggart recognized and reacted to moody's worst fear

Then why did it not turn into a Dementor when Harry was looking at it in the DADA class? He saw Neville's Boggart, as Snape. If the Boggart could sense someone looking at it and react accordingly, it should have sensed that Harry was looking at it and assumed the shape of a Dementor. Or the shape of the worst fear of any of the class that were also looking at it at the time. It didn't, because it assumed the shape of the fear of the person it could see, directly in front of it, which was Neville. This is a positive action on behalf of the Boggart.
maybe the Boggart and the wizard/witch have to look into each other's eyes for the transformation....?
Quote:Originally posted by ginger
maybe the Boggart and the wizard/witch have to look into each other's eyes for the transformation....?

That's assuming a Boggart has eyes!

Only Moody knows.:bg:
I've never thought of that. I don't have a clue, sorry. Talk about good ideas.:clap:
nice point jammin

lupin said that they had an advantage during harrrys first encounter w/ a boggart, because they had more people, and lupin said that is when a boggart gets confused. he refers to a boggart making the mistake of turning into two different images at once. not remotely frightning, it must have been a newbie boggart:bg:

so, as lupin clears the 'field' for nevielle (sp), the boggart senses the one person there, and concentrates on that one person

of course, my earlier theory is obsolete now, as a bunch of people were watching the boggart, and the boggart turned into only one scaredy thing.

i will have to rethink this

i cant follow this post myself
Don't do nothing.
I guess the only one who really knows is J.K herself! But for thread reasons I haven't got a clue
Shorey for England!
Reading fans

RoCk On SnOw PaTrOl

- Kwik Silva 44
Quote:Boggarts, in their tattered and dusty clothing, are dark and hairy household spirits. They are more bothersome than bogies. They are usually recognized due to the unusual number of mishaps that occur while a boggart is in the house.

http://webhome.idirect.com/~donlong/mons...oggart.htm

google search... I love those. But this isn't necessarily the same boggart creature JKR has in her books. It goes farther back in mythology. I believe it's an old British myth, or Scottish, or Welsh, or Irish... one of those from the British Isles, but I can't be sure.
Part the mists and look beyond... there you will find Avalon.
JKR draws extensively on British/UK folklore (and others, I believe). She has to flesh things out a bit, and is also probably adding some consistency for the sake of her story-telling.
Good Point Davedapunk!!!:bg:

Quote:God bless America!!!
:bg:

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hermione's Boggart Kagemaru 6 1,122 June 20th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Last Post: ben_d_straw
  Hermione...very moody in new movie whomping willow 16 2,002 June 10th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Last Post: mar_her_90
  Mrs. Weasley's Boggart LunaLovegoodsTwin 7 1,817 June 9th, 2004, 09:07 PM
Last Post: ginger