the davinci code
When is this book going to be a movie?
It is currently scheduled for release in 2005 as directed by Ron Howard. A cast list has not yet been released.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
There are rumors that Cameron Crowe is going to play the lead. Not too suprising since its a Ron Howard production...
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Arthur C. Clarke: Clarke's Third Law from Profiles of the Future: An Inquiry into the Limits of the Possible
Ron Howard, hehe, such a funny name.
Quote:Originally posted by DeamondBleed
Ron Howard, hehe, such a funny name.

Interesting. Sounds like you haven't heard of this director. He's been an ongoing creative force for about two and a half decades now. I'm surprised you don't know of him.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Quote:Originally posted by RobRoy
Interesting. Sounds like you haven't heard of this director. He's been an ongoing creative force for about two and a half decades now. I'm surprised you don't know of him.

No, no. I have heard of him, I just find the name a bit funny becuase it sounds a hell of a lot like John Howard, who is (unfortuanatly) the Australian Prime Minister. I have an odd sence of Humour.
I love this book!

Did they film it yet or is it still in the early stages of development?
*Back to the Future~ George McFly: Last night, Darth Vader came down from planet Vulcan and told me that if I didn't take Lorraine out that he'd melt my brain!
I liked the book, because it is a good thriller, but here in Manila some people take it as real history, and it's just annoying when they bring it up sometimes when they want to say bad things about Catholics or the Church.

I'm sure its gonna be a great movie, though.
Quote:Originally posted by Lady Eowyn
I love this book!

Did they film it yet or is it still in the early stages of development?

No cast has been released yet, so I would say it's still indevelopment.

Quote:Originally posted by Nimruzir
I liked the book, because it is a good thriller, but here in Manila some people take it as real history, and it's just annoying when they bring it up sometimes when they want to say bad things about Catholics or the Church.

I'm sure its gonna be a great movie, though.

Some of the history is real. He certainly adapted and cobbled stuff together to make the plot work, but there is some truth under what he wrote. Not much, I grant, but still some.

Hey, it was a great read and well done as a mystery thriller, in my opinion. But I agree that there is minimal actual history and tremendous speculation of the minimal data. This is great in a novel. The problem with folks who take it literally is that they do not comprehend the process of writing fiction and utilizing intriguing ideas. Of course, these samd folks expect objectivity of newspaper reporters when surveys of them clearly show them to be substantially to the left of most Americans on most issues!

What's a good reader to do when faced with this kind of literalist involvement with a novel?

Well, I usually say, "Golly gee whiz, it was novel, you know. Great ideas, but little historical basis!"

But then you get the folks with an adamant will to believe what they want regardless of the source and critical assessment.

The combination of all of the above and SF-Fandom results in lively discussion threads!:bg:
inked
"Aslan is not a tame lion. Safe?
No, he's not safe, but he's good."
CSL/LWW
I'm glad someone like Ron Howard is undertaking creating the book as a movie. he's one of my favourite directors and I loved the book!! It'll be interesting seeing who will be placed in each role.

As for the book being true or not true etc there is an actual handbook you can get to go with it explaining different aspects of it. I haven't read it myself but i'm sure it would be an interesting book in itself!

Sara Lou
In my opinion, the reason why it was such a great book is because it raises questions and makes the reader think. The author doesn't spoon-feed the reader exact facts like a text book... He inables the reaser to develop a general intrest on some of the topics brought up in the book so that they will search for the anwers themselves.

Those who only look to others for spoon-fed information are lazy fools. The wise are usually considered dangerous because they raise controversial questions.

~Lady E.
*Back to the Future~ George McFly: Last night, Darth Vader came down from planet Vulcan and told me that if I didn't take Lorraine out that he'd melt my brain!
I was surprised when I heard they were turning it into a movie but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. You know I enjoyed the book and I hope the movie turns out just as enjoyable. Because lets face it some book to movie adaptations were bad (Girl with the pearl earring) but some have been good (Harry Potter). Here's hoping for the best! Smile
UM#333 Kea - Keeper of the sayings:

"You must have been the smartest one in your village."

"Houston, we have a problem!"
"Who's Houston?"
Quote:Originally posted by Lady Eowyn
Those who only look to others for spoon-fed information are lazy fools. The wise are usually considered dangerous because they raise controversial questions.

Interesting. I took the opposite opinion. Or rather, I agree he doesn't "spoon feed" the information; he bulldozes it. If you look, he's very formulaic in his approach. He starts with an information dump, then goes to action, goes back to an information dump, then another action sequence and so forth. He does lay his information logically, building on previously divested knowledge, in order to make the case for the climax and conclusion of the story.

That this book has been the catalyst of actual thought and discovery I won't debate. But Brown doesn't make the reader think at all. He logically lays out the climax of the book, and then starts an excavation project to move as much information down the reader's throat as possible, and still seem like he's got a plot.

Don't get me wrong, the book was a fun read. But it's hardly the stuff of classics.

Quote:Originally posted by Kea
Because lets face it some book to movie adaptations were bad (Girl with the pearl earring) but some have been good (Harry Potter). Here's hoping for the best! Smile

Whoa, you didn't like Girl? Wow. I found it to be a very powerful movie, and an excellent companion peice to the book. There was just so much depth to the book that couldn't be conveyed by two hours of film. But as I recall, the movie received at least one or two Oscar nods. <shrug>

Harry Potter on the other hand, has been a phenomenon, but the movies are simply carbon-copy reproductions of the books (sans Azkaban). If they can be critisized of anything, it is of following the books too closely.

Obviously, your milage may vary.

RobRoy visually I really enjoyed girl with the pearl earring. (Great actress by the way). I really liked the book in showing how she loves mixing the colors, her family issues and so on. Plus a book can always go into far more detail then a movie can. I felt the main thing lacking in the movie was a voice over. That for me would have improved the story so much for me. To know what she's thinking and what she enjoys and so on.
I kept having to tell the people who were watching with me about the similarities to the book. And the ending bugged me because I felt she just got the earrings for no reason. (I know he dies and wills them to her thanks to the book. Plus I didn't feel a sense of time either). I could go on. But I am glad you enjoyed it. Smile

True Harry Potter follows the books but for some reason it doesn't bother me. Personally I was worried about Azkaban until after I saw it. Such a big book so little time on the screen but it worked.

"Who's Houston?"
Quote:Originally posted by Kea
RobRoy visually I really enjoyed girl with the pearl earring. (Great actress by the way). I really liked the book in showing how she loves mixing the colors, her family issues and so on. Plus a book can always go into far more detail then a movie can. I felt the main thing lacking in the movie was a voice over. That for me would have improved the story so much for me. To know what she's thinking and what she enjoys and so on.
I kept having to tell the people who were watching with me about the similarities to the book. And the ending bugged me because I felt she just got the earrings for no reason. (I know he dies and wills them to her thanks to the book. Plus I didn't feel a sense of time either). I could go on. But I am glad you enjoyed it. Smile

Interesting. See, all of your comments wouldn't have aided my enjoyment of the movie. For me, the story worked just fine, and I didn't need any additional understanding of what Griet enjoyed or didn't enjoy. Scarlett Johansson did an excellent job conveying the fear, timidity and joy she found in her life at the Vermeerer household. I didn't recall her getting the earrings at the end of the movie though, and in didn't need to know either. As far as the story told by the movie, this was a minor plot-point of the book. The earing simply represented a reason. What became of them wasn't important to Griet's story.

You know RobRoy its interesting to see how people vary on films. Smile

At the end of the movie she's at a house (I think it was her home) and a person comes and gives her the earrings. She picks them up and I think that's how it ends.

I think had the story ended with her just leaving the house I would have liked it better as well. What became of the earrings as you said really weren't important to Griet's story.

I would loved to have seen some more of Vermeerer's paintings but that's ok. But Scarlett Johansson really does look like the girl in the picture.

"Who's Houston?"

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Da Vinci Code - mild spoilers RobRoy 22 1,516 July 14th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Last Post: Kwik silver 44
  China's "Code" Red RobRoy 0 369 June 8th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Da Vinci Code the Movie big jack 30 1,944 June 1st, 2005, 09:35 PM