Alien Abductions
Anyone believe in alien abductions? Anyone know of anyone who claims they have been abducted?
I remember seeing a UFO once, remembering that a UFO is simply an UNIDENTIFIED Flying Object.

I was about 13 at the time. My dad was playing cricket out in the countryside, and I went with him. On the way back from the match we both saw this object streaking through the sky (not unbelievably fast, though), zooming up at about a 60 degree angle, in a straight line.

My dad and I reasoned it's trajectory was too steep to be a private plane, and out of place to be a commercial air-bus. There was no chance it could have been a helicopter. Wrong angle for it to be a weather-balloon.

We chatted for a bit trying to reason it out, but we never did come to a satisfactory conclusion; after all these years I figure it was crop-dusting, or something of the sorts.

We only jokingly alluded to aliens, neither of us convinced of such an answer.

That's the closest I've ever come to being abducted by aliens! LOL

I have never heard of anyone in Australia claiming to have been abducted by aliens. In my experience the anecdotal evidence would suggest alien abductions (or claims of) are predominantly an American phenomenon. So like Bluestar, I'd be interested in alien abduction stories, but non-American ones.
"So they were told when the moon would rise, the best time to leave with your soul, she's gone but towards the light, watching her whole life unfold..." Crowded House - Catherine Wheels
Its a lie! I never abducted any one!! :mad: :up:
:paw: Speak up! Don't mumble!!
I've heard some compelling stories in my time, but overall it all seems like well intentioned bs to me. As far as aliens go, I want to believe but someone's gotta show me the proof.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Arthur C. Clarke: Clarke's Third Law from Profiles of the Future: An Inquiry into the Limits of the Possible
Granted, I'm not certain about the aliens bit, but there's some kind of wierd stuff that's going on. There are way too many documented UFOs for all of them to be easily explained.

I've never seen one, although I'd kind of like to. I think the most interesting ones are not the lights in the night sky variety, but the odd shaped crafts that appear in broad daylight-those are a little harder for unbelievers to explain away.
My above story happened about 4pm!

~ Matt
"So they were told when the moon would rise, the best time to leave with your soul, she's gone but towards the light, watching her whole life unfold..." Crowded House - Catherine Wheels
Quote:Originally posted by moif
Its a lie! I never abducted any one!! :mad: :up:

But aren't you married, Moif!Wink Wink Wink

~ Matt
You ever see the movie "Sneakers"? Robert Redford leads a team of highly intelligent hackers who make their living by breaking into computer systems (they are a security company -- they do this for their clients). Dan Aykroyd plays this wacko tech guy who stays up to date with all the alien abduction/UFO stuff. There is a scene where he and someone else are sitting in a van during a job and the other guy just reams into him about the government conspiracy theory he is spinning.

Aykroyd pauses a beat and then says, "Cattle mutilations are up this year."

It's a hilarious scene.

And I often want to say that same line whenever people express serious doubts about whether we have been visited by aliens.

Do I believe all the abduction stories? No. But I think there is something behind the mass of activity and rumors. All the phenomena have reasonable explanations. I just don't believe we have seen all the reasonable explanations.
I can explain the alien abduction stories.

I was working on the ambulance in Lawrence and we picked up a homeless man, very confused, speaking only Spanish, reeking of alcohol, and bleeding from a cut on his head. Since we had no idea (and he couldn't tell us) what had happened, we had to put on a cervical collar, put him on a backboard, start an IV, and do a full exam. As he was combative and incoherent, we had to tie down his hands, cut off his clothes, and strap him to the board. This was all for his own good, he could have been hit by a car and had a spinal fracture, or a bad head injury, so we covered all our bases.

Halfway to the hospital, I started laughing. The paramedic riding with me asked what was so funny. I explained that this guy, in his mind, was being abducted by aliens.

Think about it. We showed up in a craft with loud noises and flashing lights, then two short, pale creatures (we were both around 5' 2", fair skinned and blonde, and the patient was Puerto Rican and tall) came up to him, speaking a strange language, restrained him, secured him to a surgical stretcher, cut off his clothes and probed and poked him with needles.

I begged her to take a rectal temperature just so we could get the anal probe bit in.

We both laughed ourselves sick after the call.

To this day I swear alien abduction stories are all from drunken rednecks who roll their pickup trucks and get brought in by the medics.

By the way, the patient was ok. He suffered a concussion, but we never found out from what.
Wrestling Darwin on a daily basis.

"Question boldly even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, He must more approve of the homage of reason than that of a blindfolded fear." -Thomas Jefferson
Quote:Originally posted by Mike of Quantum Muse

Since we had no idea (and he couldn't tell us) what had happened, we had to put on a cervical collar...

And this was a guy?!! :anxious: :twitch
"Cali rules these forums. I think that whatever she says, she's always right, so I'm abdicating my throne for her to take over control. MWA to all! :kiss:"
- RobRoy
Hey, can't take chances. Wink

Actually, the confusion in terms hadn't occured to me. The top seven vertebrae are you Cervical Vertebrae, the collar you put on to immobilize a broken neck is a cervical collar.

But, had we gone the other route, that would have fuflfilled our "anal probe" obligation nicely.

:bg:
Wrestling Darwin on a daily basis.

"Question boldly even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, He must more approve of the homage of reason than that of a blindfolded fear." -Thomas Jefferson
UFOs could be time travel machines from future humans.
Quote:Originally posted by mpee

I have never heard of anyone in Australia claiming to have been abducted by aliens. In my experience the anecdotal evidence would suggest alien abductions (or claims of) are predominantly an American phenomenon. So like Bluestar, I'd be interested in alien abduction stories, but non-American ones.

There are a couple every once in a while, purhaps less because of smaller population, cultural differences, etc. But there are a few.

I remember one from when I was young and living in ruralish Victoria. There were some strange lights in the sky, someone when out into their cow feild and thought they had been out there for five minutes, but turned out to be missing for five hours.

Consider this:
Only a small number of planets in the galexy contain life, of those, only an even smaller fraction will be intelligent life, not to mention that a smaller number still would be oxygen breathing. If humans found another intelligent life form they would be infinatly fasinated by it, they would spend countless amounts to study them. So why wouldn't an alien species?
well ya know the best way to test new War Machines are at night..such as the Gov. test of the Stealth Bombers was done at night so people who seen it thought it was a UFO(very Smart) after all as they say "the best way to hide some thing is in plain site"

But I do not duubt that there are Life else where that are just as smart if not more so on other planets then on this teny, Tiny planet we call earth(or terra depending who you talk with).

but my question is why would they want to vist a race like ours..ther then to laught at us :tongue:
Dart
"A man is not finished when he is defeated. He is Finished When he quits"

"Sun Tzu said, first become
invincible, then destroy your opponent's invincibility"

"All though we think we know every thing we find out in the end we Know nothing at
Quote:Originally posted by Dart_Omega

but my question is why would they want to vist a race like ours..ther then to laught at us :tongue:
Dart

Think about how any alien species, even bactiria are to humans. Imagine how much excitement would occure if say even simple life, like flat worms, or that found at the end of the Cambrian explosion was found on, say, Europa (one of Jupiter's moons, named after a Phoneasian goddess I believe), and that's no where near as interesting as a Species with a conplex social structure as us. Why wouldn't Aliens want to study humans.
Since Earth-like conditions are only known to have existed on Mars (so far), scientists have little hope of finding signs of Earth-like life on any other planet-sized bodies in the Solar System (besides Mars).

On the other hand, because of the existence of life in some extreme environments on Earth, scientists do hope to find evidence of some sort of life in other extreme environments. But just because we have it here doesn't mean it is everywhere.

I think there is life out there. I think it has its own priorities just as life here has its own priorities. We may or may not share priorities with other creatures.
Oh, I totally believe that there are extraterrestrial creatures out there and that they sometimes come to investigate life here on Earth. My mom, dad, sister and I have all seen UFO's and I certainly believe that there are those who have been abducted.

My mom and dad saw a strange circle of lights in the sky while on the highway once. They hovered there and then took off after a few moments. They never said anything to anyone about it, but months later a cousin mentioned it to them. He had heard about it on the radio and knew someone else that had seen the same thing. Mom and dad were freaked out and then told the cousin everything they had witnessed.

Sister saw something one summer night. We were at our summer house "upstate" and she was looking out one of the windows. Of course, it's dark out so she's just kinda staring at the stars. One is particularly bright, so she decides to look at it. As she does, suddenly the star zooms away at a very great speed.

Then there was one summer day. I was floating around in my pool on a big tire tube. I'm looking up at the sky (I'm always a skywatcher) and I see this silver orb way up high. At times it nearly blends into the sky and at times it's an intense silver. There's no sound and it's moving too fast to be a plane (and it's up way too high). Then I notice the flight pattern - it's meandering in a broad S shape - not normal for anything I can think of.

And yes, all these stories are true.
Battle On, Deadly Chakram

Jack's Packer #1350
Croque's Crony #1350
Daughter Of The Dragoon #2
Brogard's Belle #2
Keeper of Jack's Wit and Sense of Humor
THere is much talk of Aliens abducting humans.

But have humans abducted aliens, maybe?

Are Interstellar Aliens also Illegal Aliens, for they have entered without a visa?

What should be the Import Tax on alien goods and artifacts? How does Patent Law pertain to alien technology?

WE know that humans have inalienable rights, so do aliens have inhumanable rights?
:deadhorse:
"A Iluvatarinya! En na pelecco carinyesse!"
"Oh my God! There's an axe in my head!" :worry:

http://www.yamara.com/axe/#Q1

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  infrasound recordings as Sci-fi ambient music and alien linguistics Adrian 202 1 253 November 14th, 2020, 01:26 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Do you believe Betty hill's alien abduction story? vreeET 2 450 March 4th, 2005, 06:23 AM
Last Post: ukkiller
  Beating an Alien DeamondBleed 7 466 June 22nd, 2004, 10:52 AM
Last Post: shadowfax