Poll: What do u think of the new Dumbledore?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I think he's the best Dumbledore
15.38%
2 15.38%
I think Richard Harris was a million times better
38.46%
5 38.46%
The new Dumbleore is complete rubbish
15.38%
2 15.38%
It makes no difference to me...sorry
30.77%
4 30.77%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

wot do u think about the new Dumbledore?I miss Harris!
Personally seeing the new Dumbledore act really, really dissapointed me. for me just like Alan Rickman is just like Snape, I feel that Richard Harris is exactly how Dumbledore should be.

Ok the new guy looks the part but he doesnt have the truly amazing presence of Harris, with his thoughtful looks, the way he spoke made everyone want to listen.

To me the new guy sounds like a hampshire farmer, he has no presence compared to Harrises amazing presence, and where Harris was warm the new guy(gambon?) is cold, and seems indiferent to Harry where Dumbleore, I feel cares for Harry.

And sure I can complain, but the fact is Richard Harris is gone, but the way I'll always imagine Dumbledore is Richard Harris.
The one with the power to vanquish the dark lord approaches,born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies,and the dark lord will mark him as his equal,and either must die at the hand of the other
the new guy's just way too silly, doesn't fit the part of dumbledore in the least, doesn't have that mellow feeling. i suppose that's why you didn't see him as much, which was probably a good thing. he might not have had enough time to get into charactee, if they had to put him in late.
Bill Lives
While reading I always imagined Dumbledore a bit like Gandalf in LOTR. That smart kind of wit, that gentleness and the way they talk that everybody listens....

I miss him too :teary:
Quote:Originally posted by ginger
While reading I always imagined Dumbledore a bit like Gandalf in LOTR. That smart kind of wit, that gentleness and the way they talk that everybody listens....

I miss him too :teary:

I've said it once and i'll say it again "Sir Ian McKellan as Dumbledore!"
Save a tree! (eat a beaver)
I had to vote i don't care. It's like HP & LOTR they're both good in different ways. Yes Richard fited the part perfectly but we only saw Alan right at the start. Don't doubt he might be things for the future
Shorey for England!
Reading fans

RoCk On SnOw PaTrOl

- Kwik Silva 44
I've now watched all the movies, and while I think Harris' Dumbledore was better, I also like Gambon. Maybe he'll get into it more in the future. It can't be easy trying to fill anothers shoes.
Quote:Originally posted by Boomstick
I've now watched all the movies, and while I think Harris' Dumbledore was better, I also like Gambon. Maybe he'll get into it more in the future. It can't be easy trying to fill anothers shoes.

Exactly. It's not easy to fill another's shoes, especially when everyone's already gotten used to the person who used to play the character.

Harris was an okay Dumbledore. He was a good old wizard, but it just didn't seem like he even had the energy to move or talk because of his old age. Gambon is more lively and I believe he will eventually grow into a good Dumbledore.

I really do enjoy both of them. It makes no difference to me.
When driving through a gate, ALWAYS make sure the gate is open first.
Quote:Exactly. It's not easy to fill another's shoes, especially when everyone's already gotten used to the person who used to play the character.

I think that they're also to different styled actors. Harris I think was a great actor. Gambon hasn't really seatledin & as i said earlier we only saw him right at the beginning
Shorey for England!
Reading fans

RoCk On SnOw PaTrOl

- Kwik Silva 44
PLEASE forgive me for being so rude 2 u! If you get this please tell me on one of my threads!:teary:
I never thought that Richard Harris was a good choice as Dumbledore. All the liveliness and humour was missing and it just felt like there just was some weird old man playing the part of the principle. All the supergrandpa feeling was gone!
I cant comment on the new Dumbledores acting due to the fact that we pathetic people of Finland get to see the movie first on 6th of Auguast :teary: But the colour of the new Dumbledores beard really * * * * * * me off. :angry: Its supposed to be white, not kinda dirty blond!
Anyway I really hope that Dumbledore will get to have bigger parts (okei obviously his got a bigger role in the upcoming books..) and they could for a change slip a couple of his jokes in too.
I haven't seen the new movie yet, but I was never that big of a fan of Harris's Dumbledor. He always seemed too tired to me. Dumbledor was supposed to have this enormous energy about him and I never saw that in Harris.

And Yes, I agree that McKellen would have been a great Dumbledor but he will never accept the part. When he was asked by the British press after Harris died if he would take the part if offered, he replied angrily, "Look! Enough of that talk! My friend just died! And now you ask if I want his job?"
"I Solemnly Swear I Am Up To No Good."
Quote:Originally posted by Turris
But the colour of the new Dumbledores beard really * * * * * * me off. :angry: Its supposed to be white, not kinda dirty blond!

I noticed that. I saw POA, then watched the first two Potter movies, and started reading the first book. The book says Dumbledore has white hair, and Harris' Dubledore did as well, but Gambon's does not. It's gotta be a wig, so why didn't they give it the right colour? Granted, many of the other characters don't have the hair colour they do in the book, but it seems they'd try to follow through with what they've established.
I've mentioned this in two other threads I think, losing track, but I believe Mr. Gambone and the directors are trying very hard to NOT be Richard Harris in most ways, out of respect for Richard Harris' memory. Very admirable on all their parts. Hence the different mannerisms and the grey hair.

Possibly too, they are trying to capitalize on LOTR (Gandalf with his original grey beard) ) just like the way they modified the Dementors which now more closely resemble LOTR's RingWraiths. I found that quite annoying because J.K.Rowling will take the rap for that in the long run.
Quote:Originally posted by queen beetle
I've mentioned this in two other threads I think, losing track, but I believe Mr. Gambone and the directors are trying very hard to NOT be Richard Harris in most ways, out of respect for Richard Harris' memory. Very admirable on all their parts. Hence the different mannerisms and the grey hair.

If that is the case, very admirable indeed.

Quote:
Possibly too, they are trying to capitalize on LOTR (Gandalf with his original grey beard) ) just like the way they modified the Dementors which now more closely resemble LOTR's RingWraiths. I found that quite annoying because J.K.Rowling will take the rap for that in the long run.

You're probably right, although I don't see why they'd feel the need to. Harry Potter established itself in a huge way with the first film, so I think they're mistaken if they feel the need to mimic LOTR.

I don't see why Rowling would take the rap unless she specifically authorised or requested that the Dementors look more like the Ring Wraiths. If there is blame to be assigned, it rests equally with the director, if not completley. Personally, I thougth they looked fine.
I guess maybe I've always read more into things than most people, a good atomsphere in a film (for example that strange feeling u get when it's autumn, when it's brezzy and the trees kinda seem alive) Idunno maybe i'm just weird, but when I saw Harris their was such and underlying warmth, behind his old looks, that convinced me with his subtle winks and smiles, that he could at any moment become as animated and fast as Dumbledore in the books -

and dont forget that in the books Dumbledore is described as seeming frail but then out of nowhere he defeats two aurors, fudge and umbridge in a few seconds,sometimes Dumbledore suddenly appears how he normally isnt, such as powerful, or angry or strong, and when this happens it surprises harry,

I guess I could always see Harris of being capable of the same unlikely dynamic changes, and that's why I thought he was a complete Legend I spose :crown:
The one with the power to vanquish the dark lord approaches,born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies,and the dark lord will mark him as his equal,and either must die at the hand of the other
Harris will always be rememberd & I now crown you a LEGEND!Smile :crown:
Shorey for England!
Reading fans

RoCk On SnOw PaTrOl

- Kwik Silva 44
:teary: It makes me sad to think about how Richard Harris left us, but I think that the new Dumbledore did a good job. It's hard to get used to a new actor, but hey, the new guy is good. I think Harris was an awesome Dumbledore though.Cry

Bye 4 now:drool:
I think that Gambon was wonderful. In the book, Dumbeldore was at times wise, lively, mystical and a little bit crazy. In the movie, he lets you see a little bit more of that crazy side!! IN Harris' performance, it was a little flat, he did seem wise and mystical, but that twinkle in his eyes just wasn't there.

SO I can't complain about Gambon as Dumbeldore!!
Would you like some salsa for that chip on your shoulder? - JD, Scrubs

Asparagus Tribe Leader
I agree with you most of the way but I think the twinkle in his eyes was there & I think most ppl will agree with me
Shorey for England!
Reading fans

RoCk On SnOw PaTrOl

- Kwik Silva 44

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Secrets of Dumbledore - My Initial Thoughts Michael 3 317 September 2nd, 2022, 04:41 PM
Last Post: ZehnWaters
  Video: Trailer 2 for "Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore" Michael 0 269 March 2nd, 2022, 12:52 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Dumbledore is gay? badlands 2 620 October 4th, 2015, 04:29 PM
  Video: Fan film, "The Greater Good: Dumbledore & Grindelwald" FilmGuy 0 684 January 24th, 2014, 10:59 PM
Last Post: FilmGuy
  Ciaran Hinds to play Aberforth Dumbledore in "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" Michael 2 1,087 January 11th, 2011, 02:36 AM
  Video: Dumbledore's will from "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" Michael 0 617 November 15th, 2010, 01:49 AM
  Harry and Dumbledore in 'Harry Potter and the half blood prince' one sheets Luthien_001 0 793 February 11th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Luthien_001
  Did I Miss Something? (contains spoilers) RobRoy 5 1,308 August 29th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Is Snape Dumbledore's Man? [Spoliers for Deathly Hallows] Darq Ali 42 2,820 August 27th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Dumbledore **spoilers** Lt. Joe 20 1,809 August 17th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Last Post: Darq Ali