First Pilot
OK... this is REALLY nostalgic, but does anyone else around here like (or find intriguing) the crew of the USS Enterprise from the first pilot, The Cage - which was later cut-and-pasted into the TOS 2-part episode, The Menagerie? Captain Christopher Pike, Number One, Dr. Boyce, Lt. Spock, Jose Tyler, Yeoman Colt...??? Smile
Unfortunately, I don't feel I had enough exposure to the 1st crew to formulate likes/dislikes. I obviously like Spock since he continued on, as did Number One (albeit as Nurse Chapel in TOS). But as for the others, there certainly was some promise there but they were never given the chance. I'm glad we ended up with what we got tho....
Quote:Originally posted by Valandil
OK... this is REALLY nostalgic, but does anyone else around here like (or find intriguing) the crew of the USS Enterprise from the first pilot, The Cage - which was later cut-and-pasted into the TOS 2-part episode, The Menagerie? Captain Christopher Pike, Number One, Dr. Boyce, Lt. Spock, Jose Tyler, Yeoman Colt...??? Smile
That was a great episode, although the actimg was pretty bad at times. Majel (sp) Barrett certianly has been a very versitile actress through the Star Trek stretch of different series'. From #1, to nurse Chapel, to Mrs. Troy, and being the voice of the computer in NG. Alas for the death of Jeff Hunter, a remarkable actor who definately died before his time.

Hiya ValadilSmile
'Say on!' said Andreth. 'Say: who art now but a wise-woman, alone, and age that shall not touch him has already set winter's grey in thy hair! But say not thou to me, for so he once did!'
Quote:Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
...Majel (sp) Barrett certianly has been a very versitile actress through the Star Trek stretch of different series'. From #1, to nurse Chapel, to Mrs. Troy, and being the voice of the computer in NG...

Hiya ValadilSmile

I think she ALSO did TOS computer voice... didn't she?

Hiya SGH Wink
I think she ALSO did TOS computer voice... didn't she?

Hiya SGH Wink

Yes she did, and she did the computer voice for TNG and Voyager as well but I think the computer voice for DS9 was someone else or maybe I have it a bit backwards there but she was around doing that computer voice after TOS.
She also played a doctor in the show "Earth:Final Conflict" which was another of Gene Roddenberry's ideals.
As another said, I'm happy with what we got in the end. However, I've run in to plenty of people online who say they'd have loved to seen more of that crew. Maybe they should have thought about that before Enterprise! Although I'm sure most would have had an objection to someone else playing Spock. I know I would.
Quote:Originally posted by Boomstick
As another said, I'm happy with what we got in the end. However, I've run in to plenty of people online who say they'd have loved to seen more of that crew. Maybe they should have thought about that before Enterprise! Although I'm sure most would have had an objection to someone else playing Spock. I know I would.

I agree-there is no one else who could have played Spock. Leonard Nimoy was so wonderful in that role.

I liked the original crew mostly because of all of the different races and ethnic groups they had as well as putting a woman in a fairly high end role and a black woman at that.
I was very happy with the outcome of the cast they picked. I never really liked Captain Pike...he was well, yukky.
William Shatner was much more suited for the role of Captain...and as he said to Picard in "Generations": 'Captain of the Enterprise? Whatever you do, dont them them promote you, dont let them do anything that takes you away from the bridge of that ship because while there, you CAN make a difference'.

Shatner, as Kirk-made alot of differences in his time and I dont think Pike would have done the same or made as much as an impact as Kirk did.

Certainly, it is one of my all-time favorite episodes of STAR TREK (though I also love the "Menagrie" version as well). It was fascinating to see a slightly different Enterprise, a different Captain as well. The sexism seems so odd now, but the detailed planet set was one of the best ever seen on the Original Series. Years ago Roddenberry used to show a black and white print, so it was very exciting when an original color print was uncovered and released. Definitely one of the best Science Fiction pilots ever!

The first time I saw "The Menagerie", I was sure I was watching something made in the 1950s. It just blew me away that Star Trek had been around for SO LONG (I was just a kid, though).

Years later, when I found out "The Cage" had been filmed only two years before the first season, I was floored. I just couldn't believe the improvements they had made in everything.

I didn't really like the first pilot, but Jeffrey Hunter was a good actor. He would have made a good starship captain.
If we assume that Star Trek Enterprise was the first human star ship (see my other thread on this issue), then this would make the first pilot to be Ensign Travis Maywether (http://www.upn.com/shows/enterprise/crew...avis.shtml). I am not a real big fan of his, he seems to be good enough to keep the ship on course, but does not appear to have much of a personality. Except on episode surrounding him and his prior life as a boomer on a cargo ship.
Quote:Originally posted by jbc
If we assume that Star Trek Enterprise was the first human star ship (see my other thread on this issue), then this would make the first pilot to be Ensign Travis Maywether (http://www.upn.com/shows/enterprise/crew...avis.shtml). I am not a real big fan of his, he seems to be good enough to keep the ship on course, but does not appear to have much of a personality. Except on episode surrounding him and his prior life as a boomer on a cargo ship.

The "pilot" in question here, jbc, is the first episode of a show, not the guy steering the ship! I'll let Samuel L. Jackson do the explaining:

Well, the way they pick the shows
on TV is they make one show, and
that show's called a pilot. And
they show that one show to the
people who pick the shows, and on
the strength of that one show, they
decide if they want to make more
shows. Some get accepted and
become TV programs, and some don't,
and become nothing.

(From Pulp Fiction)
Quote:Originally posted by Boomstick
The "pilot" in question here, jbc, is the first episode of a show, not the guy steering the ship...

Yes, sorry if that was unclear jbc. It was only in reading the reference books ABOUT Star Trek, which I mentioned in the transporter thread, that I got any idea of these things and how they were done. Same case for lots of people... those books sort of 'opened a window' into how TV shows came to be. In the case of The Trouble with Tribbles, we even get an account of how an episode of a TV show came to be. Quite interesting, really.

So yes, a 'pilot episode' is made first, as a speculative move by a studio. They then shop the show around to the networks to see if any of them is interested in buying and featuring the show. At least that's how it was back then - the 'rules' may all have changed by now, especially with so many networks.

Star Trek was also unique in that TWO pilot episodes were made. IIRC, the network(s?) liked the concept, but had some issues with the first pilot episode (very cerebral, created too much instant tension with captain in position of 'choosing' between two regular female roles, etc) and actually asked them to make a second pilot episode. That had never been done before. By that time, many of the actors from the first pilot were no longer available, and Gene Roddenberry re-cast it - with a more ethnically diverse crew. They actually had another problem with the show, but he stuck to his guns on that one... they wanted him to eliminate the 'Spock' character. :tongue:

The first pilot would have probably sat on a shelf and rotted to dust, except that they had problems staying on schedule with the filming. So they were able to 'catch-up' by spending another week of filming to frame a 2-part story around the first pilot - neatly fitting the original story into the USS Enterprise's "past" Smile

EDIT: the SECOND pilot was the episode "Where No Man has Gone Before"... again, there's some delay between making that and filming the regular episodes... so they still don't have McCoy or Uhura. Sulu is ship's physicist instead of helmsman... I THINK Scotty is around, but don't recall for sure. They have a different Doctor (is it Piper?) and a couple guys named Kelso and Alden manning bridge stations who get killed by Gary Mitchell when his mental abilities multiply.
If I recall correctly, they wanted to get rid of Spock because he was originally supposed to be "red skinned" and at the time, the majority of television sets in the country were black and white. Spock would have appeared black in that case and to have a black man as a main character would simply not do. So Gene changed the skin color so he would still appear white on black and white TVs.
Quote:Originally posted by Dennikro
If I recall correctly, they wanted to get rid of Spock because he was originally supposed to be "red skinned" and at the time, the majority of television sets in the country were balck and white. Spock would have appeared black in that case and to have a black man as a main character would simply not do. So Gene changed the skin color so he would still appear white on black and white TVs.

I had never heard that. In fact, I thought the objection was that he appeared somewhat 'satanic'. IIRC, the earliest written description in a summary about the show said he was 'probably part Martian' Smile The original name for the captain was 'Robert April' - but that was changed to 'Christopher Pike' just before filming the first pilot.
I had never heard that. In fact, I thought the objection was that he appeared somewhat 'satanic'. IIRC, the earliest written description in a summary about the show said he was 'probably part Martian' Smile The original name for the captain was 'Robert April' - but that was changed to 'Christopher Pike' just before filming the first pilot.

I heard something about the "satanic look" as well and heard about the "Robert April" name too. Maybe they just didn't want a tall, black devil-man in such a high rank nor did they want a Captain named "April" lol

I have heard the "satanic Spock" thing as well. If I remember correctly, Captain April remains in Trek lore as the first captain of the Enterprise (NCC-1701 No bloody A, B, C, or D...or NX-whatever it is)
Captain April was mentioned as such and appeared in one of the STAR TREK ANIMATED episodes.
At least he wasn't a giant cockroach. I have to wonder now if Kafka was on the Farscape cast's reading list?

Oh, sorry. Wromg pilot again....
I enjoy the pilot episode but I'm glad Shatner ended up in the Captain's role. He added a kitsch to the series and had a charisma that Jeffrey Hunter never had imo.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Arthur C. Clarke: Clarke's Third Law from Profiles of the Future: An Inquiry into the Limits of the Possible
Quote:Originally posted by Ivo
He added a kitsch to the series and had a charisma that Jeffrey Hunter never had imo.

I agree. Shatner's charisma is something of a cornerstone for the show, IMO. Just as the captain leads the crew, the actor playing the role heads up the show, and while he had equal stars in Nimoy and Kelly, Shatner lead nicely, I think.

Granted, this is coming from someone that never saw the show in its original run, so maybe that makes a difference.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Video: "Star Trek" fan film, "Secret Voyage Pilot" FilmGuy 0 659 January 21st, 2014, 03:13 AM
Last Post: FilmGuy
  Roddenberry's pilot film "Spectre" on ALN august 5 2,191 February 8th, 2011, 03:19 AM
Last Post: Michael