Lost in translation: Help needed
Hi!
Could you explain, what the phrase "words and all" means (English is not my own)?

Orig. Hagrid: "Baked by myself, words and all."
he baked harry a birthday cake, which would have had words written on it in frosting, saying "happy birthday harry" or some other birthday message. so he's just saying it's a home-made cake, even the decorations on it. (i personally always thought hagrid had used some sort of magic, since his other cooking never seems to be very edible, but that's just me.)
Thanks.
Ohhhh, that's what it means. Geez, even though Russian is my first language, I now know English better and I didn't get what that meant! Maybe I just wasn't thinking. I are stoopid. :crazy:
"Ron," said Hermione in a dignified voice, "You are the most insensitive wart I have ever had the misfortune to meet."
Pg.458-459 OoP
:crown: Weasley is our King! :crown:
I have 2 questions more:
1) About death of Lily Potter - does "blow up" mean explosion? or what? (Orig.Petuinia:"..got herself blown up..")
2) "witchcraft" = art of sorcery ("witchcraft and wizardry" is mentioned in the movie). Is it an art of female sorcery (witch) or any(man or woman anyroad) sorcery? On other hand, is "wizard" male?
oooo....oooo... I think I can answer this one... yay!! In the case of "got herself blown up" I always took it to mean that she exploded... which isn't true... it's just her poor muggle interpretation Smile and with the witchcraft one... It's Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry... a Witch is a woman and a Wizard is a man... I hope that answers things to a point... when everyone wakes up and gets on the forum then someone can complete what I'm trying to say in my exhaustion.... Smile
Steamed Kitties Smile
I was right, then. Thank you.
Please help me again Smile

1. A third floor (where Fluffy was guarding) - Is it third in British or American?

2. Scabbers (Ron's rat) - Does name come from "scab"?

3. saying something (Orig.Dumbledore: That is one of my more brilliant ideas. And between you and me, that is saying something) - i can't get the point of expression "saying something".
I can only answer the third question, but when you say "and that's saying something" it means that it's a big deal, important. Dumbledore is kind of making fun of himself here. He's saying that he doesn't have many brilliant ideas, so that this one is important.
Part the mists and look beyond... there you will find Avalon.
Quote:Originally posted by Orangeblossom
He's saying that he doesn't have many brilliant ideas, so that this one is important.

I thought he was making fun of himself by saying, "i have tons of brilliant ideas, and this one is even more brilliant than most"?
I'd have to go with Melian on that one.

As for the other two questions:

Not sure what the American third floor would be, but in Britain it would go ground floor (ie at ground level - where your front door is), then first, second, third etc going upwards. So in a four storey building, the third floor would be the topmost one.

Scabbers, I have always taken to come from scab. ie He's a bit scabby - scruffy, threadbare, a bit naff. The word conjures several imigary connotations for me. Not necessarily covered in scabs but not exactly pleasant to look at!
I always took 3rd to mean the thrid level up from ground. I mean if you watch the movie that makes sense, as they are on the moving staircases...It has been so long since I read the first book though, I cannot remember if the changing stairs were involved in the mix up.

I like Melian always took Dumbledore's quote of "It was one of my better ideas, and that's really saying something" to mean that, well he is one of the best wizard of the age...I mean look at all of his accolades (pardon my spelling Wink ) He's had so many excellent and well recieved ideas, for him to say this is one of his better ones is as he said...really saying something! Wink

While we are at...why didn't they use Snapes flames in the first movie...that was soooo cool! Smile
For all your minion needs contact the 90 Minute Minion Service. We run specials all day...every day! Call us now; we're not sure how long we can keep them contained! 1-800-MINION
In America, it is in order from the ground. In a three story house, the 3rd floor would be the highest one.:bg:
I think the movie is following British convention (it doesn't seem to really follow any American conventions that I have noticed) with respect to "third floor".
Thank you, guys Smile
I know how to count storeys in both systems Wink,
but how many storeys was in school - three or more? A good idea - to count staircases, i'll try to do it.

My doubts about following British conventions appeared after toilet room has been called a "bathroom" (Hermione & Troll).

Taken from American guide to speaking British:
Bathroom - Again, the clue is in the name. In a British house, you will find a bath in the bathroom. (In smaller houses there may also be a toilet). So when we are going to the bathroom - we are not answering a call of nature - we're going for a bath! Always causes problems when Americans visit UK families this one - I'm sure they think we wee in the sink!
Quote:Originally posted by Lack
I'm sure they think we wee in the sink!

Don't you?:confused:

Wink
2 Jammin
I don't (think), of course.
And don't wee, too Wink
That has always been a question on my mind. In the U.S. we have toilets in the bathroom, then if it is big enough, we have a bath or shower.:drool:
Quote:Originally posted by Hedwig32
That has always been a question on my mind. In the U.S. we have toilets in the bathroom, then if it is big enough, we have a bath or shower.:drool:

So if you have your toilet in one room and your bath separately in another, do you have two bathrooms? How do you differentiate? If not, if you call your toilet the bathroom, what's the name of the room with the bath in?

Presumably it comes from the fact that saying you need to go to the bathroom is more acceptable in polite society than saying you are going to the toilet?

So much confusion. I admit to feeling a little flushed. I'm sure this thread is going down the pan!

Anyway, with all this talk of toilets, I feel the need to spend a penny. Back soon - just popping to the sink!:bg:
Generally, where I'm from in America anyway, a bathroom always has a toilet. And if it's bigger, it also has a bathtub or shower. We just call it a bathroom. Sometimes if it's just a toilet, we call it a 1/2 bath. I've never seen a bathroom where it's only a bathtub/shower, but I suppose we'd call it a 1/2 bath also...
Part the mists and look beyond... there you will find Avalon.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Daily Mail: How fame lost its magic for Hermione (that's despite Emma Watson's 30mil Michael 4 787 May 19th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Website Editorialist Needed!!! Kwik silver 44 2 650 September 30th, 2005, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Kwik silver 44
  ATTENTION! Help Needed! pinkfireprisoner 2 313 June 2nd, 2004, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Captiang
  Beta Reader needed for Harry Potter story........ Taz 5 649 January 6th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Last Post: Taz