Lost in translation: Help needed
Lack Wrote:Please help me again Smile

1. A third floor (where Fluffy was guarding) - Is it third in British or American?

2. Scabbers (Ron's rat) - Does name come from "scab"?

3. saying something (Orig.Dumbledore: That is one of my more brilliant ideas. And between you and me, that is saying something) - i can't get the point of expression "saying something".

I'll try answering question 2. I never thought about that. I don't think it comes from scab............On the other hand, I can never be sure...............
Maybe he used to get in a lot of fights with other rats..and got beaten a lot. so he would get scabs? just a theory... Smile
I like buying snacks from a vending machine because food is better when it falls. Sometimes at the grocery, I'll drop a candy bar so that it will achieve its maximum flavor potential. ~Mitch Hedberg
what does "wotcher" mean? some form of a British greeting?
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."- Abraham Lincoln
gaudior24601 Wrote:what does "wotcher" mean? some form of a British greeting?

Yea its a bit of a weird greeting. I'm not quite sure what it means, but some people do use it. "Wotcher mate".
Save a tree! (eat a beaver)
Hmmm...I wonder where that came from...
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."- Abraham Lincoln
I searched in the Net and found the following:
Quote:Tonks likes to use that word "wotcher" a lot. Ever wonder what it meant? I wondered that myself as I was reading Order of the Phoenix. I was clueless until I looked it up:

wotcher: (informal) a shortened form of "what cheer!" An exclamation; used as a greeting, especially between friends. Used mainly in London, England. Also spelled "Wotcha".

Example: "Wotcher, Harry!"
Experience is what you get when you fail something
nice job, lack. you must be a research person. Smile
I like buying snacks from a vending machine because food is better when it falls. Sometimes at the grocery, I'll drop a candy bar so that it will achieve its maximum flavor potential. ~Mitch Hedberg
2 bigevilcheshiregrin
Wasn't difficult at all.
Actually, search skill is necessary and basic one for Net surfer.
You just go to google.com (or other favourite search site of yours), type unknown phrase, and Bob's your uncle! Smile
Help me with this phrase:
He watched, trying noy betray a flicker of surprise or alarm, as a portly man appeared within the flames, spinning as fast as a top.
As i understand it, man's top was spinning as fast as his body.
Sounds stupid, doesn't it? Smile
Lack Wrote:Help me with this phrase:
He watched, trying noy betray a flicker of surprise or alarm, as a portly man appeared within the flames, spinning as fast as a top.
As i understand it, man's top was spinning as fast as his body.
Sounds stupid, doesn't it? Smile

It means as fast as a spinning top which is a childs toy.

here's a link to an example...
http://www.boogaloo.co.uk/prodview.asp?s...201&TRK=26
2Jammin
Thank you.
When i was a child, I played with such a top Smile

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Daily Mail: How fame lost its magic for Hermione (that's despite Emma Watson's Ł30mil Michael 4 766 May 19th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Website Editorialist Needed!!! Kwik silver 44 2 646 September 30th, 2005, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Kwik silver 44
  ATTENTION! Help Needed! pinkfireprisoner 2 308 June 2nd, 2004, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Captiang
  Beta Reader needed for Harry Potter story........ Taz 5 637 January 6th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Last Post: Taz