The Princess Bride
The Princess Bride: The greatest movie of all time? No, but I would like to hear all of your beautiful comments on the '87 epic!
Recent evidence suggests that a barrel full of monkeys is not half as much fun as previously claimed, and is, in fact, rather horrifying.
The movie was indeed terrific, and one of the best movie adaptations of all time. Even so, the William Goldman book is even better!

"Inconceivable!"
It is a lovely movie, great romance and comedy:bg:
I agree that the book is excellent. . . I really wish I could find a copy of the long-lost(?) sequal.
my god, what a world you love.
one of my favourite childhood movies! we have it on dvd its a classic! it never gets boring, so many good jokes, just a feel good entertaining movie all up!

"Stop all this rhyming i mean it!"..... "anybody want a peanut?" :bg:
Everyone knows that 90% of all statistics are made up! :wicked: :crazy: :halo:
My name is Indigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!

Awesome movie Smile
Cheers, :hello:
missferal

- Be nice to people on your way up
because you might meet 'em
on your way down -

>***********************<

Official International Kevin Sorbo Fan Club
http://www.ozfans.com

My Grandma got so annoyed once when she was over cause I was saying all the lines along with the movie:bg:
my god, what a world you love.
Quote:Originally posted by the firstborn
It is a lovely movie, great romance and comedy:bg:
I agree that the book is excellent. . . I really wish I could find a copy of the long-lost(?) sequal.

There is not "long-lost" sequel. William Goldman is the author of the book that he claimed to be the work of S. Morgenstern. It allowed him to interject some interesting bits of humor into the book, all the while laughing into his own sleeve as people sought out the "original" text.

I wouldn't feel bad at all for thinking that Goldman's book was only an adaptation of another's work. His Author's Note is reasonably convincing, and I myself took more than a few days to sift through to the truth. Stephen King's FAQ should quell any rumors to that extent though. Goldman hasn't comitted to writing the sequel, and there is no news to that extent as of yet.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Wow... I feel so dumb now... I was sure that Goldman's book really was a condensed version of S. Morgenstern's. But the movie's wonderful. The book's great too.
Part the mists and look beyond... there you will find Avalon.
While there is no sequel to THE PRINCESS BRIDE, Goldman did write another book as S. Morgenstern called "The Silent Gondoliers," which is more of a novella than a novel. So there is a follow-up, but it is not a sequel.

Another delightful bit is that in the book itself there is an address you could write to to receive Morgenstern's uncut reunion scene. I wrote to it and got a letter back on Goldman's stationary explaining how he had thought Morgernstern was dead, but that the author came into his office and insisted that he not be allowed to release the reunion scene for seven years (which had expired) with an addendum that the time period had been extended.

Imagine having the clount to get this bit of whimsy mailed off to anyone who writes in and asks for the Reunion Scene for years after the book's original hardcover publication. Now that's power.
Quote:Originally posted by Orangeblossom
Wow... I feel so dumb now... I was sure that Goldman's book really was a condensed version of S. Morgenstern's. But the movie's wonderful. The book's great too.

Don't. I thought the exact same thing when I read the book and the author's notes and even the first chapter introduction to Buttercup's Baby. Goldman is a clever writer. The guy's credits are rather impressive, including All the President's Men, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, A Bridge Too Far, and Chaplin, just to name a few. The guy has ability and clout, that's for certain.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
The movie is one of the favorites in my church. I went to see it for the first time at a party and could barely understand it since everyone was quoting every single line. Since then, I've seen it quite a few more times and now own it and enjoy reciting all the lines. What a great movie!
An O.B.server
I also love this movie! (had a slight crush on Cary Elwes :ohno: ) I watch it all of the time still! I told my dad to watch it and when the part where Weasly is tortured by "the machine" came, my dad was trying to think of logical ways the torture machine worked, "maybe by heavy pressure? They didn't have electricity in those days..." and he was dissappointed that I explained the fictional answer! lol (ya, I was kind of scared of my Dad for the rest of the evening! jk)

I also had a friend who read the books and thought that Floren and Gilder were once real countries! (Gullible Guardy!) Angel
*Back to the Future~ George McFly: Last night, Darth Vader came down from planet Vulcan and told me that if I didn't take Lorraine out that he'd melt my brain!
This is certainly one of my all-time favourite movies! Specific jokes can wear a bit thin over time, but just the tone and fun of the movie make it stand up against multiple viewings!

It's a movie I certainly have within easy reach to watch whenever I want.

Miracle Max: ...And while you're at it, why don't you give me a paper cut and pour lemon juice on it!

There are just so many memorable lines in this movie:

Inigo: Who are you? I must know!
Man in Black: Get used to disappointment.

And so on...

~ Matt
"So they were told when the moon would rise, the best time to leave with your soul, she's gone but towards the light, watching her whole life unfold..." Crowded House - Catherine Wheels
wow, with all these positive reviews on an older movie, maybe i should get out and watch it.

im missing out
Don't do nothing.
:jawdrop:

As Hamlet said to Ophelia:"Get thee to a video store!"

:bg:

~ Matt
"So they were told when the moon would rise, the best time to leave with your soul, she's gone but towards the light, watching her whole life unfold..." Crowded House - Catherine Wheels
Quote:Originally posted by Captiang
wow, with all these positive reviews on an older movie, maybe i should get out and watch it.

im missing out

You bettcha ya are. To quote from the opening scene of the movie:
Does it got any sports in it?
Are you kidding? Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles.

For anyone wanting to read the script, it is available if you click here
Cheers, :hello:
missferal

- Be nice to people on your way up
because you might meet 'em
on your way down -

Official International Kevin Sorbo Fan Club
http://www.ozfans.com

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Princess Mononoke and other anime movies badlands 2 3,922 November 21st, 2013, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Michael
  princess and the frog badlands 0 446 December 15th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Video - Watch "Princess of the Universe" Parts 1 and 2 Michael 0 361 September 21st, 2009, 02:50 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Corpse Bride Clonesofbrucelee 7 934 February 19th, 2006, 02:38 AM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Corpse Bride Darth Meela 2 607 December 12th, 2005, 10:27 PM
  Princess Mononoke Princess Mononoke 3 535 November 27th, 2004, 11:39 PM
Last Post: Alantriel the Elf
  Princess of Thieves Boomstick 16 1,279 March 21st, 2004, 04:21 AM