James Doohan's Last Convention this summer
From SciFi Wire

It seems that James Doohan will only be making one more convention appearance, and it'll be this summer, August 28 to 30 in Hollywood, Ca.
Click the link for more info.

Doesn't surprise me, given that his health hasn't been great the last few years. All the best to ya, Scotty, wish I could be there!
I wish Jimmy all the best.

I would like to add this thought, it may be a little off topic. Trek has been very fortunate with the health and well being of its cast members. DeForrest (and Gene) are the only major characters/actors who are not with us anymore, and this is saying a lot, because of the age of the cast from TOS and just the amount of main actors used in the series. The perfect example of tragedy faced by a program is SNL.
Good point, and very true. Trek actors tend to be much more stable than SNL folks, so that's probably why they last longer. With the exception of Phil Hartman, most of the SNL people died of drug overdoeses, didn't they? Farley and Belushi certainly did.
Quote:Originally posted by Boomstick
Good point, and very true. Trek actors tend to be much more stable than SNL folks, so that's probably why they last longer. With the exception of Phil Hartman, most of the SNL people died of drug overdoeses, didn't they? Farley and Belushi certainly did.

At least under mysterious circumstances...
The point I wanted to stress was that we as Trek fans have been very lucky in that our stars have been able to do all of these events, some for over 30 years (though they have been getting paid handsomely for signing their names).
This rather sucks, James Doohan never came close to visiting New Zealand or doing a convention here. The same applies to most of the TOS cast, but now there is no chance that James will.
And there is no way that I will be able to afford to fly over for this event.
I was reading a bio of Doohan recently and never realized that he was missing a finger from the war!
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Arthur C. Clarke: Clarke's Third Law from Profiles of the Future: An Inquiry into the Limits of the Possible
Quote:Originally posted by Ivo
I was reading a bio of Doohan recently and never realized that he was missing a finger from the war!

Really? I never noticed that either!
Quote:Originally posted by Kovac
This rather sucks, James Doohan never came close to visiting New Zealand or doing a convention here. The same applies to most of the TOS cast, but now there is no chance that James will.
And there is no way that I will be able to afford to fly over for this event.

Dont feel to badly Kovac-welcome to the forum by the way-There hasn't been a ST convention around here in about 15 years and the last one that was even close to me was down in Miami, by the airport, which is about 45 minutes from here.

It's a shame that they haven't done more conventions around here they seemed to be pretty successful cause that last one was a whole weekend, 3 days worth and the tickets were nearly sold out(at least that's what I remember them saying on the news about it).

I would have liked to have gone to one at least, to see some of the stars as well as find out about some of my ST collection and what it might be worth(no I still haven't gotten it appraised).
It does stink that they haven't made more of an effort to come this way either.
Really? I never noticed that either!

Yeah, shocked me too. Put his name into a google search engine and click on the images tab. You will find some pictures of him signing autographs at conventions and it shows his right middle finger missing.

They must have shot around it.

Arthur C. Clarke: Clarke's Third Law from Profiles of the Future: An Inquiry into the Limits of the Possible
Quote:Originally posted by Ivo

In Trekkies, Crosby puts her hand into a mold of Jimmy's hand and for the forst time realizes that he is missing a finger. I believe the person who owned the mold, the dentist from Starbase Dental, said he lost it in a gardening accident.
Quote:Originally posted by SpringfieldST
In Trekkies, Crosby puts her hand into a mold of Jimmy's hand and for the forst time realizes that he is missing a finger. I believe the person who owned the mold, the dentist from Starbase Dental, said he lost it in a gardening accident.

Well, I've seen Trekkies, so either I missed it or just forgot it! Gardening accident and War wound are worlds apart...the end result is the same, of course. So are we sure which it is?
Well, I've seen Trekkies, so either I missed it or just forgot it! Gardening accident and War wound are worlds apart...the end result is the same, of course. So are we sure which it is?

Well, we can either believe his bio or the creepy dentist from Trekkies.
True, it would seem that a bio would try to get the facts straight. None the less, was it an autobio, Ivo?
Never been a conventioneer myself. I appreciate James Doohan a lot though. Seems I read where he had a bit of a technical orientation himself, and worked out some of the explanations for how some of the things on the Enterprise "worked". Really took a lot of pride in the show and in his role on it.

Doesn't speak in a brogue either. When auditioning for the show, they had him try all sorts of accents. They opted for the Scottish one.
True, it would seem that a bio would try to get the facts straight. None the less, was it an autobio, Ivo?

I got it from StarTrek.com...

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/se...69073.html

Quote:from startrek.com
After outscoring his fellow soldiers on an officer's exam, he became Captain in the Royal Canadian Artillery. While leading his men into battle on D-Day, Doohan was wounded in the leg and hand, and eventually lost a finger. For the remainder of the war, he became a pilot observer, and received the dubious distinction of being called the "craziest pilot in the Canadian Air Forces."

I think we can accept the war story over the gardening accident, then!
Here's the latest article:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=st...s_eo/14818
August  - Jack's Pack Fan # 1, Keeper of the List, 3-Time Speaker of the JoAT Fan Quote of the Week, and the only person ever to have Back 2 Back Jack and Cleo fan quotes !
Boomstick I know the rules about posting articles (I tried to shorten the length of the piece the best I could). However, if you feel the need to clip, I'll understand.

JAMES Doohan was beaming.

The 84-year-old actor, who played Scotty on Star Trek, laughed and smiled throughout a Hollywood tribute with cast members and about 600 guests.
Doohan was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease several months ago and the event at the Renaissance Hollywood Hotel was a fundraiser for an Alzheimer's research foundation.

Doohan, whose character was Chief Engineer Montgomery Scott of "Beam me up, Scotty" fame, appeared on stage yesterday with the entire surviving cast of the original series, including William Shatner (Captain Kirk) and Leonard Nimoy (Mr Spock).

He will get a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame this week.

The events are expected to be the last public appearances for Doohan, who also has Parkinson's disease and diabetes.

Doohan was heralded by a bagpipe player and speakers including Walter Koenig, who played Pavel Chekov on Star Trek. Also making a special appearance was the first man on the moon, Neil Armstrong. AP
I didn't know that Neil Armstrong was there! That's pretty cool. Thanks for the article, CAP.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Video: Interview with James Doohan in 1989 Michael 0 506 March 11th, 2019, 07:56 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Nimoy Won't Make Convention Appreances After 2010 Boomstick 0 546 March 12th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  What would make it great to have James T. Kirk as best man at your wedding ? KL70 3 533 September 13th, 2009, 10:08 PM
  Star Trek fans flood Scottish museum to pay tribute to Jimmy Doohan Michael 3 1,391 September 20th, 2007, 01:11 AM
Last Post: EDSEL_PK
  Jolene Blalock & James Marsters star in Shadow Puppets Boomstick 0 676 January 8th, 2007, 01:26 AM
  Western Mass Convention - Nov. 10-12, 2006 SpringfieldST 1 550 September 28th, 2006, 12:18 PM
  James Doohan passes away at 85 Boomstick 28 2,520 December 5th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Last Post: barakling
  Question about convention & my Legoprise happywaffle 1 597 July 27th, 2005, 01:20 PM
  Australian DS9 Trek convention Stripe 0 522 July 11th, 2005, 07:48 AM
Last Post: Stripe
  London UK Star Trek Convention 1-3 April 2005 daleglen2003 0 862 March 18th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Last Post: daleglen2003