Poll: Which Mars Movie is Best ?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mission To Mars
50.00%
3 50.00%
Red Planet
16.67%
1 16.67%
Total Recall
33.33%
2 33.33%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Best Mars Movie
Which of these 3 movies do you think is better. I though Mission To Mars was pretty good. The special effects are extraordinary and the storyline holds up even though the end is a little lackluster. Total recall is differentnt than the other two but I think its one of Arnolds best films. I didn't like Red Planet at all. It just drags on and on. The cast is talented (Kilmer, Moss, Pratt) but I thought that movie sucked. Anyway which one do you prefer and why ?

PS. I'm sure there's are other Mars movies out there I could have thrown on the poll but I guess I haven't seen them.
You've never seen ROCKETSHIP X-M? MISSION TO MARS? WAR OF THE WORLDS? INVADERS FROM MARS? ROBINSON CRUSOE ON MARS?
Quote:Originally posted by SFfilmfan
You've never seen ROCKETSHIP X-M? WAR OF THE WORLDS? INVADERS FROM MARS? ROBINSON CRUSOE ON MARS?

Huh ? I've never heard of any of these. Maybe I'm pathetic. I havent had a chance to beam myself up into an all knowing Mars movie addict in my lifetime.

:up:
Quote:Originally posted by SFfilmfan
You've never seen ROCKETSHIP X-M? MISSION TO MARS? WAR OF THE WORLDS? INVADERS FROM MARS? ROBINSON CRUSOE ON MARS?

Rocketship X-M is really just a rushed version of Destination Moon which is, in my opinion, the better of the two. But still, Rocketship is a worthwhile, if dated, Mars movie.

Mission to Mars, I'm assuming you mean the Gary Sinise/Tim Robbins flub (I hesitate to call any movie that makes $60 million domestically a flop, though the movie cost $90 million to shoot) and not the now defunt Mission to Mars ride at Disneyland (which I also liked!). :bg:

War of the Worlds is probably the best well known movie, and I understand that H.G Wells' estate was rather understanding initially when the film rights expired, and then was so pleased with the outcome that they gave The Time Machine to the George Pal to shoot.

On Invaders from Mars, and given your penchant for the older films, I'm assuming you mean the 1953 and not the 1986. Although I enjoyed both films, the '86 version was the one that I saw first, being only 13 at the time, and not grasping that there was such a thing as 'remakes'. Thus, this version stands out in my mind, even though it is quite obviously the lesser of the two.

I have not yet had the pleasure of viewing Robinson Crusoe on Mars, but I hear it's quite the classic scifi treat.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Flash Gordon: Mars Attacks the World. It's certainly one of my favorite "mars" type movies.

As for the best of the three, I'm going to have to go with Red Planet. While Mission to Mars is superior in almost every conceivable way, I just enjoyed watching Kilmer strap himself to a cobbled rocket and launch himself into space. It was amazingly far-fetched, incredibly implausible, almost entirely unnecessary, and yet I just loved this scene of Kilmer strapping himself in, and gritting his teeth as he tries to acheive exit velocity. Classic bomb.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Robinson Crusoe on Mars... that's my fav!!!! :bg:
:alien: Sci-Fi needs reality TV as much as it needs a Hammer! :mad:
Mission To Mars

Of the three listed. I know a lot of people who love Total Recall but I thought it was stupid.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Arthur C. Clarke: Clarke's Third Law from Profiles of the Future: An Inquiry into the Limits of the Possible
Being a Kilmer fan I enjoyed Red Planet, for many of the reasons Rob Roy did, actually. Just fun, I thought.

But I watched Mission to Mars tonight, and I think it's a far superior film. Red Planet was fun, but I didn't really get anything from it. Mission to Mars had that positive human exploration vibe to it, I thought.

Red Planted just had naked Carrie-Anne Moss, crewmate bickering, Val Kilmer the space missle, and a psychotic robotic dog. :tongue:
Quote:Originally posted by Boomstick

Red Planted just had naked Carrie-Anne Moss, crewmate bickering, Val Kilmer the space missle, and a psychotic robotic dog. :tongue:

LOL, Aint that the truth. That dog has to go. It just got a little too corny after a while.
Quote:Originally posted by ThePharoah
LOL, Aint that the truth. That dog has to go. It just got a little too corny after a while.

Actually, I thought the concept of AMEE was pretty cool, and rather well carried out. The special effects for this portion were, at least, well done. The manner in which AMEE is nuetralized, however, leaves something to be desired . . . like reality.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Quote:Originally posted by RobRoy
Actually, I thought the concept of AMEE was pretty cool, and rather well carried out. The special effects for this portion were, at least, well done. The manner in which AMEE is nuetralized, however, leaves something to be desired . . . like reality.

I didn't mind the AMEE thing, but it seems like it wouldn't have the military programming left in it if it was set up for exploring. Who knows. LOL
Quote:Originally posted by Boomstick
I didn't mind the AMEE thing, but it seems like it wouldn't have the military programming left in it if it was set up for exploring. Who knows. LOL

The way I understood it (and keep in mind that I saw the movie when it was first released, and not since) that Kilmer's character had re-programmed AMEE, but that he had left the military programming to guard and defend when needed on an exploration. When that programming when hay-wire, AMEE viewed everyone as a potential threat, and went about, as her programming said, eliminating that threat.

Well, if War of the Worlds has been added to the list, as an invasion from Mars movie, then surely Mars Attacks! must be included in the list. All the cameos make this fun!

~ Matt
Have you never heard of "The Angry Red Planet"?

http://www.bmoviecentral.com/bmoviecentr...lanet.html

http://www.badmovies.org/movies/angryred/index.html
Quote:Originally posted by mpee
Well, if [b]War of the Worlds has been added to the list, as an invasion from Mars movie, then surely Mars Attacks! must be included in the list. All the cameos make this fun!
[/B]

One of Burton's often overlooked films. I've read different books that compare Independence Day and Mars Attacks to Dr. Strangeglove and Fail-Safe. Dr. and Fail-Safe were both 60s movies concerning the atomic bomb, where ID4 and Mars Attacks! were about alien invasion.

It's an interesting comparison, 'cause Dr. Strangeglove was the winner of the old movies, but like Mars Attacks! it is a comedy. Of the two newer movies, ID4, a more serious (ok, it's as serious as summer action movies can be) movie won out.
Then there's always Santa Claus Conquers the Martians !:bg:
"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."
Dr Who, The Face of Evil.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lightyear the movie badlands 1 53 July 14th, 2022, 08:53 PM
Last Post: Michael
  New Elvis movie badlands 2 130 July 6th, 2022, 01:56 PM
Last Post: Yalmuk
  Reboot The Terminator movie series. badlands 2 129 June 15th, 2022, 11:52 PM
  Is it true that there will a movie based on the Redwall author’s book? badlands 1 123 May 16th, 2022, 01:37 PM
  Poppy Playtime movie badlands 1 162 April 17th, 2022, 12:01 PM
Smile Clash of the clans movie badlands 4 140 April 17th, 2022, 12:00 PM
  How about a jetsons movie? hour_25mikehodel 4 298 March 19th, 2022, 03:11 PM
  Miami Vice movie badlands 2 262 December 29th, 2021, 03:33 PM
Star Disney’s The Lone Ranger movie starring Depp badlands 1 377 November 22nd, 2021, 02:07 PM
  New C.S Lewis Movie bilbobaggins764 2 446 November 22nd, 2021, 02:00 PM