troy? good or bad?
#61
Thought you might enjoy a laugh.

[Image: Achilles.jpg]

I dont remember seeing it, but who knows?
In :love: with Johnny :kiss:
-
In lust with Orlando Heart
Reply
#62
Wait a sec. You mean they didn't have planes in ancient Greece? There go my illusions. Wink

Thanks for the pic Del! You are wondrous! :kiss:
Reply
#63
I think that Troy was a pretty good movie, but it was a little disappointing to me - I was expecting more. As I'm sure plenty of peope have said, Hollywood really doesnt get the facts straight - It still works for the movie, but it just isnt right.

Ajax does not make an early departure, as he does in the movie. He kills himself because Odysseus receives Achilles armor after his death. Achilles is killed before the Trojan Horse incident. Also, the war was 10 years - True, the book focuses on only a couple of days, but the movie makes it seem as though they land, are there for less than a month and the war is over. It just didnt live up to my expectations.
Reply
#64
Once again, the movie is NOT "The Iliad". It is not even the "Epic Cycle". It is simply suggesting an alternative version of the events.
Reply
#65
Quote:Originally posted by Michael
Once again, the movie is NOT "The Iliad". It is not even the "Epic Cycle". It is simply suggesting an alternative version of the events.


I'm afraid you're fighting a losing battle here, Michael. As many purists as there were for The Lord of the Rings, there is a whole order of magnitude better (or worse, depending) for those who have read the Homeric epics. They just aren't going to be willing to see the movie on its own measure, as an inspired version of the events of The Illiad. It's unfortunate, but there it is.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Reply
#66
Quote:Originally posted by RobRoy
I'm afraid you're fighting a losing battle here, Michael. As many purists as there were for The Lord of the Rings, there is a whole order of magnitude better (or worse, depending) for those who have read the Homeric epics. They just aren't going to be willing to see the movie on its own measure, as an inspired version of the events of The Illiad. It's unfortunate, but there it is.


I did enjoy the movie, moreso than Gladiator at that. My reading of The Iliad comes post-movie, so maybe that's one of the reasons why I am more tolerant of the movie.

~ Matt
"So they were told when the moon would rise, the best time to leave with your soul, she's gone but towards the light, watching her whole life unfold..." Crowded House - Catherine Wheels
Reply
#67
The movie is NOT "The Iliad". This is like complaining that "The Longest Day" doesn't depict the full Second World War. It didn't even depict the full D-Day.

"Troy" plays what-if with history and Greek folklore and mythology. It doesn't purport in any way to be an adaptation of "The Iliad".

People might as well get upset over the way "Ever After" (starring Drew Barrymore) doesn't have a fairy godmother (but instead uses Leonardo Da Vinci in that capacity).

It's not that it's "just a movie", it's that it's NOT a direct adaptation of the original story.
Reply
#68
Quote:Originally posted by Michael
The movie is NOT "The Iliad". This is like complaining that "The Longest Day" doesn't depict the full Second World War. It didn't even depict the full D-Day.

"Troy" plays what-if with history and Greek folklore and mythology. It doesn't purport in any way to be an adaptation of "The Iliad".

People might as well get upset over the way "Ever After" (starring Drew Barrymore) doesn't have a fairy godmother (but instead uses Leonardo Da Vinci in that capacity).

It's not that it's "just a movie", it's that it's NOT a direct adaptation of the original story.


I'm not against you Michael. If you read any of my thoughts on Troy, you'll see that I've taken the exact same stance you have regarding the movie.

I'm just saying you're fighting a losing battle. <shrug>
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Reply
#69
It's not the BATTLE which matters, RobRoy. It's the WAR.

Are you with me, MAN? Are you with me???
Reply
#70
Quote:Originally posted by Michael
It's not the BATTLE which matters, RobRoy. It's the WAR.

Are you with me, MAN? Are you with me???


Sure thing!

Over the top, durn the torpedoes, I have not yet begun to fight, and nuts! :bg:
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Reply

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The good and bad science of "Earth II" Michael 0 538 May 22nd, 2018, 02:54 AM
Last Post: Michael
  What old cartoons, shows and movies would make good movies? badlands 2 607 April 30th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Last Post: FilmGuy
  "Prince of Persia" - My Review (not good) Michael 14 1,210 July 30th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Last Post: badlands
  good movies?? forgotm 6 578 December 11th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Luweewu
  Bettie Page remembered for icnonic good-girl-bad-deed notoriety RobRoy 2 406 December 13th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Han Solo
  Aeneas a movie about his life after the fall of Troy? badlands 7 905 October 2nd, 2008, 04:49 PM
Last Post: Luthien_001
  TROY opinions please... ThePharoah 1 480 January 6th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Where can I find a website that has good King Arthur pics? Unregistered 1 412 August 8th, 2004, 03:27 AM
Last Post: Boomstick
  Troy Revealed... Akasha 21 1,457 November 21st, 2003, 05:39 AM
Last Post: Akasha
  Movie characteristics of Good Guys v Bad Guys mpee 10 648 September 13th, 2003, 01:06 AM
Last Post: TwoXForr

Forum Jump: