Van Helsing (may contain spoilers)
I rented Van Helsing today, this is the second time I've seen it, the first since I saw it in the theater when it was released.

I think it was better the second time around. Seeing it again put to rest some of the problems I'd had with it originally, and brought up some new ones.

I still think Frankenstien's monster was an unnessary character, thown in to make the movie more of a monster mash. The wolfman fits into the movie as it is, but it's really a Dracula/Van Helsing movie at heart. Stephen Sommers shouldn't have tried to shoehorn everyone else in.

The biggest thing I noticed this time is that Kate Beckensale was a total miscast. I don't think I commented on that before. Her portrayal is impossibly dry and boring.

When I first noticed it I took extra care to watch the actors. Hugh Jackman did a good job in his role, but Beckensale manages to stink up the movie with hers.

Dracula's brides should have been seen but not heard. All the lines while they're in flying form are terrible and over the top. Dracula should always be the only eccentric in the movie.

It's never explained exactly what Van Helsing is. Ok, the left hand of God. So what is that?

And why did he murder Dracula in the first place? What was Dracula doing as a human that God wanted him dead?

Also, I still notice the time passing as I watch the movie. My impression was that it's too long.
Has anyone seen the anime Hellsing? More importantly does anyone know if the anime Helling has anything to do with the movie Van Helsing?
Save a tree! (eat a beaver)
I've heard of it, but beyond sharing common source material, there's no connection. As far as I know, anyway.
This was on tv tonight and I was watching it on and off. It was enjoyable to see again, but for the most part my feelings are the same. One of my typical complaints about movies is that there's "too much going on." Same here. The scale of the film is just so big, I can't help feeling a little simplifying things would have gone a long way.
Boomstick Wrote:This was on tv tonight and I was watching it on and off. It was enjoyable to see again, but for the most part my feelings are the same. One of my typical complaints about movies is that there's "too much going on." Same here. The scale of the film is just so big, I can't help feeling a little simplifying things would have gone a long way.

Or making Beckinsale's character have more depth. One or the other would have been nice.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
RobRoy Wrote:Or making Beckinsale's character have more depth. One or the other would have been nice.

I didn't see enough of it last night to really catch her character's story arc, I know her brother turns out to be the wolfman. I didn't like her or her character the first couple times around, but last night I didn't worry about it and enjoyed watching it. Maybe I should do that more often. :bg:

I did notice the amazing amounts of abuse the heroes were taking, in the final act, though. They would have succumbed injuries related to blunt force trauma long before the credits rolled! :laugh:
Boomstick Wrote:I didn't see enough of it last night to really catch her character's story arc, I know her brother turns out to be the wolfman. I didn't like her or her character the first couple times around, but last night I didn't worry about it and enjoyed watching it. Maybe I should do that more often. :bg:

I think you might be amazed at just how entertaining things actually are! Or not, you and I seem to run about the same in regards to most efforts: blah.

Quote:I did notice the amazing amounts of abuse the heroes were taking, in the final act, though. They would have succumbed injuries related to blunt force trauma long before the credits rolled! :laugh:

Well, we are talking super heroes, even if they are set in . . . whatever year this movie was set. The whole idea is they are stronger, faster, able to take more punishment, are cunning, witty, and look smashing in silly clothing.

That was one of the things I really enjoyed about the recent How to Train Your Dragon . . . if you've seen it, you know what I mean.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inception - Possible Spoilers GamgeeFest 1 592 August 10th, 2010, 04:14 AM
Last Post: Zagor
  Toy Story 3 - Mild Spoilers RobRoy 8 1,206 July 27th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Knowing - A question and MAJOR SPOILERS RobRoy 3 594 June 1st, 2010, 09:40 AM
  Clash of the Titans - mild spoilers RobRoy 4 706 April 13th, 2010, 04:45 AM
Last Post: Zagor
  AVATAR - James Cameron did it! *may contain spoilers* Luthien_001 23 2,237 January 22nd, 2010, 11:05 AM
  Video: Review of "Inkheart" (Includes spoilers) Michael 0 477 January 15th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Indiana Jones (contains spoilers) Jammin 13 989 June 14th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Last Post: katiegirl
  question re: I Am Legend (possible spoilers) dasher 3 621 April 5th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Last Post: dasher
  Run Fatboy Run! (Slight Spoilers) Kwik silver 44 0 683 October 30th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Last Post: Kwik silver 44
  The Bourne Ultimatum - Mild Spoilers RobRoy 7 1,247 August 15th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Last Post: onwe