Snape good or bad?
I know in the books we're constantly given proof that Snape is in fact good. But I just think we're always given too much evidence. Especially as there's still a lot about snape we dont know

- he's still shrowded in mystery,and from reading the post below i'd say there is a lot of evidence to suggest he is a vampire.

One piece of evidence that was left out was how much snape detested Lupin, and how much he detested having a werewolf work at the school- remembering that vampires and werewolves are mortal enemies in mythology.

I have a feeling we're constantly made to think he's good so that once he's revealed to be evil it'll be such a shock, maybe not though.

I dont think snape's bad, but I don't think he's good either, I'm not sure yet.

Don't forget he does hate Harry,And if he is bad, who's to say he has to be a death eater? he could be against Voldemort and Harry couldn't he?who to say?
The one with the power to vanquish the dark lord approaches,born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies,and the dark lord will mark him as his equal,and either must die at the hand of the other
Snape is a sheep in wolf's clothing!! Okay, he is positively horrid in the first few books but now we know WHY he's like that....I personally believe that he is going to prove EVERYONE wrong by the end. I mean, how many times has he helped Harry? The QUidditch match etc, I don't have the books to hand right now but in GOF when he manages to get word to the other members of the Order who step in just in time to save Harry and Co in the Ministry of Magic. Put it this way, Snape sees Harry but is reminded of James and what JAMES did to him, humiliating him and all sorts...and yes, the thought of even having to talk to Harry is bad enough...James met Lily and they had Harry. Snape met no one and has not had the benefit of fatherhood, friendship of sorts, nothing.

To conclude, I really do think we're going to be pleasantly suprised with what Snape gets up to next....wait and see.:bg:
Oh gee - if only insecure bozos did it for me - I'd be the happiest guy in space

See, this is how it's going to happen - I'm going to count to ten and I want your answer by seven. Hunt out!!.

Dylan Hunt - oh yes - pure class :drool:
I Know where ur coming from, but i'm still not convinced....hmm
we'll see....
The one with the power to vanquish the dark lord approaches,born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies,and the dark lord will mark him as his equal,and either must die at the hand of the other
After all the evidence supporting the theory that Snape is a vampire, I most definitely agree that he is, or at least half-vampire, but I don't think that necessarily makes him "evil". Lupin is a werewolf but he is in no way evil. I think Snape is on the good side.... "a sheep in wolf's clothing" as brandy said. I like that phrase.... it definitely describes him.
I believe Snape is good but very unhappy... and quite disgusting- he could wash his hair after all! Wink
"You forgot to duck!"- Gabrielle in "Punchlines"
:bg: how random are you, this was a post to discuss whether snape is good or evil not how he is feeling inside lolWink u r right about the hair though, but then again the long greasy hair works 4 Antonio Banderas :crown:
Aaaa...sorry, didn't mean to hurt your feelings Wink

And maybe long greasy hair works for A.B. 'cause he has bigger... err... eyes and longer magic wand. Have you thought about it???
"You forgot to duck!"- Gabrielle in "Punchlines"
well I certainly don't think snape's got a big magic wand. any way lol
we'd better stop this b4 we get told off
Well, Snape is never gonna get any woman if he keeps being greasy and lives in a dungeon.. Well, not the type that should be written into the HP books...:anxious: Wink

Anyway. Snape is not evil. I have written in another topic, that he is bittered and bruised. To quote myself (from the other topic):

"Snape is not a thorough evil person. He is a bittered and holds grudges. He's also just being...Snape. In the book "The Order of the Phoenix" some of Snape's past is revealed, that includes some crucial information why he became so dark and unapproachable. He has had quite a tough youth and has remained scarred by it. Unlike Harry, he had no one, as far as I can tell, to rely on. And even if he had, his trust must've been shattered too much to believe they would be sincere."

"It must have been one long humiliation, all his school years. Not only that, but the people who witnessed it, may have still remember until this day. And the last thing anyone wants, is to be recognized for something you are ashamed and angry of. Maybe Snape doesn't really like kids either, seen he didn't liked his time as one and that other kids were not very kind."

"It may sound far fetched and cruel, but there are people who struggle with past happenings like that. And if they embrace hatred, they will never be able to forgive the people who have done that or get over it and not try to get even and further (like taking it out on Harry, even though he never done anything that bad to Snape)."

Lupin was James and Sirius' friend and "accomplice". For all Snape knows, Lupin has ignored him on purpose and enjoyed James & Sirius cruelty. And Snape probably believes that Lupin was a accomplice in setting him up at the Whomping Willow, that nearly got him killed. As i wrote, Snape doesn't believe anyone to be sincere to him about such things (except Dumbledore, I think).

I wouldn't be surprised if Snape would die at the end, saving Harry or something else heroic. Or not so heroic, but still a sacrifice of some sort.

Also, Snape being a vampire: nope. Rowling self in a chat session this year in March confirmed it not to be true. Here is the URL of the chat session.

http://livechat.slipstreaminteractive.co.../chat.html

It's at the top, the second question asked by Megan, after the second red text.
That was well intersting, just read the whole interview!The most interesting things I read were:

why dumbledore trusts Snape-JR wouldnt say but said Snape told him a story and Dumbledore believes it.

The second one was does the bond between wormtail and harry (wormtail owing his life to Harry) include Voldemort as Wormtail helped ressurect him.

Jr made it clear that that was very important and that we'll find out

so...
I'm not sure. Dumbledore seems to think Snapes good & Harry thinks Serverous is bad!
Haven't got a clue
Shorey for England!
Reading fans

RoCk On SnOw PaTrOl

- Kwik Silva 44
Quote:Originally posted by Kwik silver 44
I'm not sure. Dumbledore seems to think Snapes good & Harry thinks Serverous is bad!
Haven't got a clue

Thanx 4 that lol:bg:
I am gonna play advocate of the dev.., err, Snape again :bg:

I would trust Dumbledore's judgement more then Harry's Kwik silver 44. Harry has been off in several cases and impulsive. Also Dumbledore knows much more about Snape than Harry.

Snape better be a good-bad boy! Otherwise I am working my bum off trying to clear his name and giving him the image of a innocent, misunderstood and in pain wizard Wink

Deep down, reeeeeaaaally deep down his black heart, he is really a nice person. Uh-huh. Really nice. He just doesn't know it yet :bg:
I don't think Snape is evil, but i am kind of surprised by how quick people are to take his side based on one chapter of Order of the Phoenix. Sure, Sirius and James were bullies. But we only see Snape's perspective, and only one incident. It's implied that there was more, but like Sirius says, Snape was cursing James as often as James was cursing Snape. I don't see why everyone is so willing to believe Snape was the innocent victim and Sirius and James were too arrogant and bullying to be liked anymore. For one thing, if James was so horrible, why did so many other people love him? Hagrid says in the first book that "you couldn't find nicer people than James and Lily". plus in Prisoner of Azkaban, Professor McGonagall and Madam Rosmerta are reminiscing about Sirius and James fondly, not in a "oh, those two got on my nerves, they were such horrid bullies", but in a "my, those two were such adorable pranksters."
I've been re-reading the books since I saw PoA last weekend, and Snape really is pretty horrible. I don't think we've heard the last of all this, and I'm willing to believe that Snape isn't as bad as Harry wants him to be, but I also don't think James and Sirius were as horrible and Snape as innocent as one isolated memory (of Snape's) would seem to imply.
I'm rereading phoenix where Sirius and Snape nearly get into a fight, Sirius says something like

"Dumbledore may trust u but I know better, how is Lucius these days Snape?Bet he's happy his lapdog's at Hogwarts"

Snape retorts with an insult and doesnt deny being allies with a death eater (however this may be part of snapes undercover thing, but if it is,Sirius would know that."

Plus like everyone in the HP books who call Voldemort The dark lord (they're always evil) Snape only refers to Voldemort as the dark lord, EXCEPT in front of Dumbledore!
Ingenious! I remember Bellotrix after Harry said "Voldemort" She says "You dare speak his name with your filthy half-blood tongue" This suggests that only purebloods can say Voldemort. But I don't think anyone wants to call him Voldemort (Even his supporters) So everyone thats not a supporter of Voldemort but is a pureblood i.e. The Weasleys would say "He who must not be named" & the supporters of Voldemort i.e. The Malfoys call him "The Dark Lord"

I'm sure you all know that Voldemort is Half-blood. The only people that would be allowed to call him Voldemort would be purebloods. That is why Bellotrix Lestraigne said this
Shorey for England!
Reading fans

RoCk On SnOw PaTrOl

- Kwik Silva 44
Snape truely is a puzzle. I was all for staking him over an anthill until the end of book four where he completely threw me for a loop. All of a sudden here was this bad guy (I thought) who was completely willing to go on what looked like an almost suicide mission just because Dumbledor asked him to.

Something has happened between Snape and Dumbledor that has Snape feeling like he owes Dumbledor his undying loyalty. Something that Snape is so grateful to Dumbledor for that he is willing to do anything for him.

As for him wanting the DADA post, it's understandable. You can't change who you are deep down and Snape, no matter what side he is on, is always going to be facinated by the dark side of things. The Dark Arts were his protection against the bullies in his life and he feels very comfortable using them. He just needs to grow up and let go of certain gridges against people who have since died (ex. James and Sirius).
"I Solemnly Swear I Am Up To No Good."
I'm glad Snape is a more complex character than he started out as in book 1. Then he was just the mean teacher. NOw we're starting to see both sides... I don't see James and Sirius as bullies though... and Snape as an inocent. I see them both as angry guys who hated each other. But just as Sirius and James aren't considered "bad" for picking on Snape, I don't think Snape should be considered "bad" for picking on Sirius and James. It's a matter of perspective. You have to look at it from both lights.
Part the mists and look beyond... there you will find Avalon.
Oh I agree. James and Sirius are bad examples maybe. However, I'm sure that growing up there were lots of other people who picked on Snape, thereby giving him a "hair Trigger" when it came to defending himself. I know exactly what you mean by people who just naturaly hate each other (I've met a few people like that in my time).
"I Solemnly Swear I Am Up To No Good."
I'm so glad we're cool now! I just probably tok your first replies the wrong way. Oh, and I was wondering if you are a boy:dude: or a girl. You don't have to answer this if you don't want to. I am a girl. Please reply on my ...Authors and such... thread! Confusedun:

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good thing Hogswarts is not Universal instead of at Disney parks badlands 0 524 May 27th, 2020, 05:44 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Fan Film: "Severus Snape and the Marauders" Michael 2 507 May 30th, 2016, 01:13 AM
Last Post: Michael
  RIP Professor Snape Paul Goode 3 706 January 17th, 2016, 09:44 PM
Last Post: badlands
  Video of Alan Rickman talking about playing Snape BookBug 0 507 January 24th, 2014, 11:58 PM
Last Post: BookBug
  Video: Fan film, "The Greater Good: Dumbledore & Grindelwald" FilmGuy 0 702 January 24th, 2014, 10:59 PM
Last Post: FilmGuy
  Severus Snape poster for "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2" Michael 0 837 June 1st, 2011, 01:15 PM
  Daniel Radcliffe talks about saying good-bye to Harry Potter Michael 0 336 November 10th, 2010, 03:19 AM
  Is Snape Dumbledore's Man? [Spoliers for Deathly Hallows] Darq Ali 42 2,889 August 27th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Another Snape theory Paul Goode 37 2,251 July 9th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Last Post: AJ786
  Is Snape Abusive? RobRoy 46 4,164 February 15th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Last Post: RobRoy