Gender Equality
Will balance ever be found on gender issues? If women aren't crying foul that men are getting jobs, it seems to be the commentators saying Equal Employment Opportunity legislation has gone too far, and that now men can't get a shoe-in because the attitude is: if you're a woman we'll employ you, because we have to be seen to be Equal Opportunity Employers.

In schools the mood seems to be that after 20 years of focus on delivery to girls, the boys are missing out, and that boys' needs to be re-addressed.

These two issues always seem to fluctuate between extremes. Will there be a time when people are employed simply based on 'merit', and boys and girls receive the same levels of education?

Even on a governmental level (in Australia at least) these issues have only just begun to re-appear, even if in fact they cannot be substantiated. It is at a point where people are concerned and are feeling that research needs to be carried out on these two issues, to either disprove or substantiate the sentiment.

I hope I haven't opened a can of worms!:halo:

~ Matt
This has been plaguing me for a while. It isn't equality we should strive for, it's fairness. People keep talking about gender equality and racial equality, but for some reason these issues always get attention drawn to them. In this day and age, giving a job to a woman over a more qualified man will AVOID being accused of sexual discrimination. It's insane.
Life sucks. Unless bad things happen, you can't be sure you're actually alive.
Quote:Originally posted by Camech
This has been plaguing me for a while. It isn't equality we should strive for, it's fairness. People keep talking about gender equality and racial equality, but for some reason these issues always get attention drawn to them. In this day and age, giving a job to a woman over a more qualified man will AVOID being accused of sexual discrimination. It's insane.
We seem to have the problem of taking an unbalanced scale and, instead of being fair, go for revenge and tip it the TOTALLY OPPOSITE DIRECTION.

My example is that slavery in the US (and everywhere else, though some places, closer than we like to think, still maintain at least a form of slavery) was wrong; an unacceptable and immoral practice. But is it really fair to give special scholarships, better chances at jobs, and even reparations for something that hasn't happened for four generations to a group of people? I think we should go for fair; anything else really doesn't make sense.
Deus vult!
I find this really hard to belive purly because most bussiness leaders are still men, most national leaders (Autralia) are still men. In fact most high positions are still male dominated. Last I heard there were still more men in the workforce as well, and issues like maternity leave are not being adressed. I know there are some industries that are female dominated, but by the same token there are some industries that are male dominated. I think that the idea that now, because of progressive movements, black Lesbians are now going to take all of middel class white Australia's jobs is just concervative's fear tactics.
So, are you saying that Black Lesbians can't be equally conservative?
:paw: Speak up! Don't mumble!!
Quote:Originally posted by moif
So, are you saying that Black Lesbians can't be equally conservative?

Er, no, however they generally aren't. Um, are you trying to be cute and funny or, um, something else?

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  China facing major gender imbalance RobRoy 8 599 January 24th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Mistaken Gender Coconut Ent 103 5,224 June 24th, 2004, 10:56 AM
Last Post: summer
  Inherient Gender Imballence DeamondBleed 18 1,398 May 31st, 2004, 04:50 PM
Last Post: Michael
  The gender of Forum Dwellers zultanofzex 8 763 June 11th, 2003, 10:54 AM
Last Post: RobRoy
  Gender roles DeamondBleed 5 554 May 10th, 2003, 03:36 AM