Hellboy
I finally got to see Hellboy today. I'm a big fan of the comic, but I've had company on and off since last Thursday, so I wasn't able to get out and see it.

As a fan, I naturally loved it. The characters were just as they should be. Did anyone here see it? I'd like to know what people who aren't familiar with the comic book thought about the movie.
I've seen it three times and absolutely loved it. Not being a comic fan of any Dark Horse title, the movie inspired me to pick up the series.
Really! Wow, that's cool. I hope you enjoy the comics. I think they are some of the best modern ones there are. It's got many influences, and Mike Mignola's seemingly simple artistic style gives it lots of feel and depth.

I hope I have the time to catch the movie in the theater again, but I'm not sure if I will.
Do you know when the DVD will come out?
It usually takes 5 or 6 months at least, so sometime October or November, I'd say.
I can't wait to see it when it comes out on DVD. (I rent mostly can't you tell!) I think the promo's look really good.

Hey Boomstick since you are a fan of the comic feel free to give us a little insight into the comic.
UM#333 Kea - Keeper of the sayings:

"You must have been the smartest one in your village."

"Houston, we have a problem!"
"Who's Houston?"
Hellboy:

THE GOOD:
RON PERLMAN AS HELLBOY. A great performance as this "regular joe" who just happens to be nigh indestructable, have a big stone hand and, oh yeah, is bright red. While Perlman seemed slightly more "human" than I've sort of imagined the character in my head when reading the comics, his world-weary it's-all-just-business approach was cool and ingratiating.
JOHN HURT AS PROF. BROOM. That face, that voice. Like JJJ in SPIDER-MAN, Hurt seemed to have walked right off the comic page (although the character is less important in the comic).
HUMOR. Sometimes at the most unexpected moments. Most of it works beautifully. My favorite: HB throwing a GIGANTIC gear-cog on top of a villain.
ATMOSPHERE. Fairly creepy, though overall more action-oriented than gothic.
ABE SAPIEN. Geez, this was one of the most amazing make-up/monster suits I've ever seen. Absolutely gorgeous and -- even more importantly -- believable. A totally realized character, though David Hyde-White doing the voice was occasionally a little unnerving, as Niles Crane was NOT what I needed to be thinking about during the course of the film. (Also, a couple of all-CGI Abe shots are not up to par).
HELLBOY-GEEK MOMENTS. A few panels from the comics are directly re-created, including the "family photo" of the newborn-Hellboy with the group of scientists. Love it, love it.

THE BAD:
THE VILLAINS. Rasputin and his cronies are totally underdeveloped. Just calling a bad guy "Rasputin" doesn't mean you can completely gloss over any kind of back-story, or even screen time -- heck, his mask-wearing clockwork henchman gets more face-time (so to speak) than the actual bad guy of the piece. There definitely needed to be at least one or two meaty scenes where we get the vibe of this villain.
THE MONSTERS. The Lovecraft-style monsters, not a Mignola design, are kinda boring, not to mention that HB keeps fighting these SAME beasts over and over and over -- it get very tiresome and repetitive. I wanted to see HB duke it out with a giant Boar-Man, or Pig-Man, or Wolf-Man... something more based in Mignola's work.
THE LOVE STORY. My least-favorite aspect of the film. In the comics, HB is not in love with Liz, they're just friends. The "romance" felt forced and false, and it would have been far more interesting (and far less Hollywood) if he considered her a valued friend rather than a hot date. The final "flaming kiss" was downright embarassing.
*SIGH* MORE RUBBERY CGI. I realize CGI is here to stay (and even SPIDER-MAN had some awful, rubbery computer imaging), but when the effect is so fake-looking it totally takes me out of the story, I cry foul. Some of it worked okay, but about half of it just looked bad.
I got bored this afternoon and went to see this movie. Very enjoyable. Almost forget he was red at some moments. And I loved how they took the standard "Someone help my kid" cliche and turned it into kittens! :tongue:

Two thumbs up for pure fun.
Sheldon: I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.

~ The Big Bang Theory
FYI, the news came out a week or two ago that the studio has already given the go ahead to a sequel to Hellboy. I'm surprised they did it that fast, it wasn't a breakout hit or anything.
Quote:Originally posted by Boomstick
FYI, the news came out a week or two ago that the studio has already given the go ahead to a sequel to Hellboy. I'm surprised they did it that fast, it wasn't a breakout hit or anything.

The movie cost $60 million and grossed nearly that in the U.S. alone. The name of the game these days is "franchise" and with that in mind, and a movie that was even moderately successful, I'm not at all surprised that they greenlighted a followup.
All your base are belong to us.

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Quote:Originally posted by RobRoy
The movie cost $60 million and grossed nearly that in the U.S. alone. The name of the game these days is "franchise" and with that in mind, and a movie that was even moderately successful, I'm not at all surprised that they greenlighted a followup.

I didn't know the figures on it. Then, yeah, if it payed for itself in its domestic run alone, I'm not surprised at all that they greenlit the sequel so soon. I also saw that the DVD is coming out on July 27, which is a pretty quick release, considering the movie came out in theathers April 2.
I didn't know the figures on it. Then, yeah, if it payed for itself in its domestic run alone, I'm not surprised at all that they greenlit the sequel so soon. I also saw that the DVD is coming out on July 27, which is a pretty quick release, considering the movie came out in theathers April 2.

The movie didn't do as well, as it should have, but it certainly broke even domestically. Worldwide audiences probably chipped in another couple ten million, making the effort worthwhile. DVD release will do the same, and thus a franchise is born!

It could be that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Problem, as I see it, is that they took material from each of the different Hellboy series to form the first movie. So they might have to make up something totally original for the second. If Mignola writes it, it'll be ok. If Del Toro writes it, maybe not.
Problem, as I see it, is that they took material from each of the different Hellboy series to form the first movie. So they might have to make up something totally original for the second. If Mignola writes it, it'll be ok. If Del Toro writes it, maybe not.

I understand that they adapted about four or five different stories from the series, but relied strongly on just one. That does leave a lot of room for more stories, but I agree regarding who writes the next one. Del Toro has had some success, but to keep the character and the story reasonably consistant, they really should stick with Mignola.

MYCode Guide

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ron Perlman favors "Hellboy III" production prospects Michael 2 459 September 2nd, 2008, 11:51 PM
Last Post: Boomstick
  HELLBOY ~ MEET THE ACTORS in Pasadena daleglen2003 2 419 February 25th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Last Post: daleglen2003
  Hellboy II: The Golden Army (Trailer) 0 442 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: