Left vs. Right
It seems like both sides have conflicting ideas about freedom. In the United States, anyway, the Left believes strongly in personal freedom--the freedom to have an abortion, the freedom of expression, the freedom to get married regardless of gender, etc. On the other hand, they don't seem to have concerns related to the freedom to bear arms, the freedom to do what they want to with their money (in some respects, anyway), the freedom to run your corporation the way you want to run it. On the other hand, the Right leans the opposite way. Libertarians tend to believe in freedom for almost all of those things, but they're a tiny fringe group, even though they've grown a lot larger.

I think I've seen the opposite of a pessimistic approach from the right on a lot of things, though. They seem to have a tendency to be skeptical of global warming, for example. That's an optimistic viewpoint. The folks on the left, on the other hand, think we need to be pessimistic about the problem and at least try to solve it, instead of just assuming that everything's going to be allright. The right also seems to have a tendency to think that the free market will solve everyone's problems, which also seems inherently optimistic.

But neither side is consistent within its own ideology. The supposedly economically-freedom-loving right, for example, doesn't want to let people use their money however they want to when it comes to Internet gambling, for example. The supposedly-personal-choice loving left, on the other hand, seems to think they have the right to tell people what size soda pop they can buy or sell, or whether or not someone can smoke in a restaurant.

Speaking of old jokes about the left versus the right. When I was in my twenties, one of the older men I worked with me told me that everyone who was under 40 who wasn't a liberal had no heart, and that everyone who was over 40 who wasn't a conservative had no brain. I guess that's similar to the old joke that you mentioned.

MYCode Guide

Messages In This Thread
Left vs. Right - by Bacchus - April 17th, 2013, 02:39 AM
Left vs. Right - by Randy Ray - April 17th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Left vs. Right - by Bacchus - April 23rd, 2013, 02:02 AM
Left vs. Right - by Michael - May 4th, 2013, 05:38 AM
Left vs. Right - by Space Marshal - August 25th, 2013, 02:06 PM
Left vs. Right - by badlands - October 15th, 2013, 12:40 AM
Left vs. Right - by Nightspore - October 15th, 2013, 04:54 AM
Left vs. Right - by Michael - October 21st, 2013, 01:16 AM
Left vs. Right - by Nightspore - October 21st, 2013, 08:48 AM