Science Fiction and Fantasy Community Forums
May the fourth be with you - Printable Version

+- Science Fiction and Fantasy Community Forums (https://forums.sf-fandom.com)
+-- Forum: Science Fiction and Fantasy Franchises (https://forums.sf-fandom.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Star Wars (https://forums.sf-fandom.com/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: May the fourth be with you (/thread-35631.html)

May the fourth be with you - badlands - May 2nd, 2020

May 4 is the original day Star Wars was released. Happy anniversary.

RE: May the fourth be with you - Irene - May 9th, 2020

Was it really? I always assumed the Star Wars co-opting of the date was just some silly idea... You know "May the Force be with
you."

Kind of cool if the original Star Wars producers & movie studio either bought into the sound alike, or got tricked into it.

Thanks.

RE: May the fourth be with you - august - May 11th, 2020

Pssst.... the original Star Wars was released on May 25th.  It's a fan-created pun.

RE: May the fourth be with you - Irene - May 11th, 2020

First. This gives me some confidence in the lack of foresight in the Movie Studios.

This will no longer make me wonder, nor further drive me toward total insanity.

Thank you.

RE: May the fourth be with you - Michael - May 12th, 2020

I don't recall exactly when I saw Star Wars for the first time, although it was in the summer of 1977. The movie only opened in 32 theaters according to Ickipedia. I doubt very much I saw it on the first day.

I remember seeing the ad in the newspaper for weeks. I suspect I may not have seen it until June 1977. But when I did finally see it I kept going back and saw it 17 times that year before it was removed from theaters.

RE: May the fourth be with you - Irene - May 15th, 2020

I don't remember movies from 1977. Heck, I barely remember what day of the week it is.

I don't think that I saw Star Wars in a theater that year.

[boring stuff follows....]
Hmmm. Pretty new in town. (Moved in one year earlier) Don't know where the movie houses were. In fact, back then, I wouldn't have gone out to see a SciFi movie, because they were all space battles.
I think I had a TV. I might have already purchased the second hand chair & sofa, which replaced the folding chair & pillows over the book boxes. I do remember saving a lot of money that year.
[…. End boring stuff]

I don't think I've seen the first movie more than 4 or 5 times, and I have never seen episode 3.

RE: May the fourth be with you - Michael - May 16th, 2020

I've never thought about it before, but following your discussions of Andre's characters in other threads reminds me of just how many of Andre's protagonists were young and idealistic but frustrated. Just like Luke Skywalker. I don't recall George Lucas ever mentioning Andre Norton but I have to wonder who might have influenced the way he writes his young characters.

Young Anakin is kind of similar to young Luke.

RE: May the fourth be with you - Irene - May 17th, 2020

it is a trope. They were both similar to Harry Potter, and , yes, most of Andre Norton's young protagonists.
Other authors have used this orphan-hero protagonist.