Science Fiction and Fantasy Community Forums
Lightsaber colors? - Printable Version

+- Science Fiction and Fantasy Community Forums (https://forums.sf-fandom.com)
+-- Forum: Science Fiction and Fantasy Franchises (https://forums.sf-fandom.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Star Wars (https://forums.sf-fandom.com/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: Lightsaber colors? (/thread-2039.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Lightsaber colors? - Saber - December 13th, 2005

Playwithfire101 Wrote:no, wrong, Obi wan was never a jedi master, hes a failed jedi master so he still a night in the 4th movie.

He was on the counsil, which makes him a jedi master. Ep. III clearly stated by Anakin that there has never been in the history of the jedi a person on the counsil that was not a master.

Lightsaber colors? - Saber - December 13th, 2005

Pechark Wrote:100th POST!

I'm fed up of people going on about Knights of the Old Republic, I must have read 'green=council, blue=guardian and yellow=sentinel' a million times now.

Anyway, has anyone ever thought about attributing colours to styles? Yoda and Qui-Gonn are both Ataru users, and both have green, Blue could be Soresu as Kenobi was a Soresu user, it's a little sketchy, I know, and probably incorrect, but you never know.

Due to the fact that Mace often gets a bit close to the Dark Side with his Vaapad style I always attributed his purple saber as a combination of blue (good) and red (bad) I've always associated red as being bad, and it'll take some big persuading to change that...

Darth Pechark

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!
SWEEEEEEET!!!

Lightsaber colors? - Pechark - December 13th, 2005

Saber Wrote:SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!
SWEEEEEEET!!!
I'm sorry?

About the Jedi Master/knight for Kenobi, in the OT he was a knight, that's clearly stated in the OT's Visual Dictionary and I reasoned that as he had failed with Anakin and never took on someone else he never became a master. But then in the PT he is obviously a master as he has a council seat. Personally I don't like him having a council seat as it makes him too perfect, but there we go, and he must be a master because of that.

Darth Pechark

Lightsaber colors? - smelly yoda - December 14th, 2005

Light sabers also have color coded ranks!! For example, Mace windu has purple because he is the leader of the jedi council. Yoda has green because he is the strongest jedi on the council. But are different sabers more powerful?

Lightsaber colors? - Saber - December 16th, 2005

smelly yoda Wrote:Light sabers also have color coded ranks!! For example, Mace windu has purple because he is the leader of the jedi council. Yoda has green because he is the strongest jedi on the council. But are different sabers more powerful?

But there are other jedi with green bladed lightsabers also. You see a million of the in Ep. II in the battle on Geonosis.
I read in a Star Wars weapons book that Qui-Gon's lightsaber may have been the most powerful lightsaber because of the amount of power sources that is saber contained. I think it showed between 10 to 15 power sources on his saber, which are the little ribbed sections on his hilt.

Lightsaber colors? - hobojesus - December 18th, 2005

It seems to me that all Sith has red, and a Jedi master has Green, while a Padawan has Blue. The only problem there is with the whole Anakin and Obi-Wan thing. My theory is that, as Yoda is the leader of the Jedi Council, he hands out the sabers. So, seen as he knows that Anakin is a greater power than Obi-Wan from the start, he gives both Anakin and Obi-wan the same blue saber. Then, as Anakin becomes stronger, he gets the Green saber. And also this makes more sense reading the last post about Obi being a failed Jedi Master. Anyway, this is a particullarly random theory of mine, but I hope that some of it helps with the question.

Lightsaber colors? - Saber - December 19th, 2005

hobojesus Wrote:It seems to me that all Sith has red, and a Jedi master has Green, while a Padawan has Blue. The only problem there is with the whole Anakin and Obi-Wan thing. My theory is that, as Yoda is the leader of the Jedi Council, he hands out the sabers. So, seen as he knows that Anakin is a greater power than Obi-Wan from the start, he gives both Anakin and Obi-wan the same blue saber. Then, as Anakin becomes stronger, he gets the Green saber. And also this makes more sense reading the last post about Obi being a failed Jedi Master. Anyway, this is a particullarly random theory of mine, but I hope that some of it helps with the question.

Yoda doesn't hand out lightsabers, each jedi makes their own. Anakin only has a green saber for a few minutes in the battle of geonosis, but it's not his lightsaber....his was destroyed. I don't believe that Obi-Wan was a failed jedi, but he may have been a failed mentor.
Remember also that Obi-Wan was a jedi master, but never had a green saber of his own.

Lightsaber colors? - Boba,Obi Wan,Jango - December 20th, 2005

Alright. Ive been reading through some of these posts. I dont think I've ever come across any information suggesting that the colour of a lightsber suggests the jedis rank. The only thing thats really suggested this is KOTOR, but that was more or less for gaming reasons .
Now Obi Wan was not a failed master. At least not in the eyes of the council and other Jedi. He was more or less what a Jedi should aspire to be. He even ascended to Jedi Council.The colour of a Jedi's lightsaber is up to the Jedi when they construct their own saber. Ki Adi Mundi and Obi Wan are two masters on the council who have blue sabers.In ep1 ,Mace's lightsaber was apparently blue. Its been discussed before why Mace has a Purple saber, and its not because he is the leader of the jedi council or anything like that. We see the padawans Yoda is teaching in ep2 have a mixture of Blue and Green sabers.
So, in closing, The colour of a Jedis lightsaber does not have anything to do with their rank.

Matt Confusedhades::paw::coffee:

Lightsaber colors? - Saber - December 20th, 2005

Absolutely, the color of the jedi saber is not an issue of rank.

I just found this, and it is quite interesting and will answer everyones questions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightsaber

Lightsaber colors? - Playwithfire101 - December 21st, 2005

haha, yep. there it is.
"The lightsaber colors show different states of study for Jedi. If a Jedi chooses blue it means that he focuses his studies more on combat than on mastering the force. A Jedi that chooses green concentrates on mastering the force without the use of his/her lightsaber. The color red means that an adept has fallen to the dark side and has studied the ways of the Sith. Purple is a rare lightsaber color, not only because the crystal is hard to obtain, but also because of its meaning; purple is a mixture of red and blue, so one who has a purple lightsaber has studied the various forms of lightsaber combat, but has also gone to the dark side to learn the art of Sith combat. Although it is not always the case."

Lightsaber colors? - Boba,Obi Wan,Jango - December 21st, 2005

And where is that from?

Lightsaber colors? - RobRoy - December 21st, 2005

Boba,Obi Wan,Jango Wrote:And where is that from?

The wikipedia article. It's worth reading. That particular paragraph, I believe, was followed by the fact that later the Jedi's did not use such a system, but rather just used whatever crystals were at hand.

Wikipedia should be taken with a large bag of Morton's Extra Fine on most things, unless coroborated by an outside source. It isn't that Wikipedia is a bad source of information, but some of their facts can be off from time to time.

Lightsaber colors? - Jar Jar Binks - December 21st, 2005

Han Solo Wrote:I always associate red lightsabers with the Sith. One of the Jedi Council members came with a red lightsaber as an action figure. Can't remember the name but it was a girl and an episode I figure.

I like the greens ones the best and you would think a master/padawan combo would have different lightsaber colors like Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan but with Obi-Wan/Anakin they both have blue. Looks odd.

Mace has the purple ones, Yoda and Qui-Gon have green. Hmmm, could color be associated with your training level but Obi-Wan still had blue so I guess not. I've always wondered about that. Might have to pay better attention.
The name of the person is Adi Galia

Lightsaber colors? - Boba,Obi Wan,Jango - December 22nd, 2005

Jar Jar Binks Wrote:The name of the person is Adi Galia

Yes I remember the Adi Gallia action figure and character in the playstation game Star Wars : Jedi Power Battles had crimson lightsabers.
But in the cinematic cut scenes for Star Wars : Jedi Starfighter , her lightsaber is a blue one.

Lightsaber colors? - Lord Drago - January 9th, 2006

Han Solo Wrote:Jedi master bob, I've merged your thread with a previous lightsaber color thread so enjoy the previous discussions and please add to it if you wish.
what if * had a blue light saber but was going to get a green lightsaber would * just trade lightsabers or change the crystial

Lightsaber colors? - Edpayasugo - January 13th, 2006

You could probably just change the crystal, but I don't know?

I wondered that about Count Dooku, because he obviously had his lighsaber begore he left the Jedi but must have got a red crystal, but did he have to construct a new lightsaber?

Lightsaber colors? - the nighthunter - January 21st, 2006

It's easy. I read this in Empire (magazine). Yoda thought it would be fit that Anaking got his masters lightsaber, while his master got a new one. for the rest, padawans are green, masters blue, sith red, and pulp fiction heroes purple. Well, actually, Mace was given his crystals by some kind of stone-golem like creature he saved.

Lightsaber colors? - Edpayasugo - January 21st, 2006

So how come Yoda uses a green lightsaber? And Anakin doesn't use Obi Wans????

Lightsaber colors? - the nighthunter - January 22nd, 2006

he doesn't? I'll have to reread it. And if it's not that way, try this one: you have to get your saber christals yourself, unless the council, or yoyo sais otherwise.

Lightsaber colors? - Edpayasugo - January 22nd, 2006

Yeh, personal prefrence seems the logical reason.