Science Fiction and Fantasy Community Forums
Lightsaber colors? - Printable Version

+- Science Fiction and Fantasy Community Forums (https://forums.sf-fandom.com)
+-- Forum: Science Fiction and Fantasy Franchises (https://forums.sf-fandom.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Star Wars (https://forums.sf-fandom.com/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: Lightsaber colors? (/thread-2039.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Lightsaber colors? - JohnCW - July 2nd, 2005

I've always associated red with dark Jedi and Sith.

Blue seems more suited for combat-oriented Jedi, the warriors of the Order. Blue is a cool, calm color, dispassionate. The Jedi are trained to be this way in combat.

Green seems more suited for Jedi who focus on use of the Force. Green is the color of life and growth, and we all know the Force is created by life. It seems that those who focus on the essence of the Force would choose green as their color.

Purple seems more suited for Mace Windu, just because I guess Lucas (or Jackson) wanted the character to attract notice. Mara Jade had a purple saber, I think, as did Anakin Solo maybe? But they're not in the movies, so blah.

The rest of the colors I don't know about. Following KotOR's color scheme, yellow is the color of Jedi who spend their time seeking justice and truth. But eh. Even KotOR, which directly associates ranks with lightsaber colors (Guardian = Blue, Sentinel = Yellow, Consular = Green) says that a Jedi isn't bound to that. The lightsaber color is simply the Jedi's choice, and has no specific meaning.

Smile

Lightsaber colors? - Jermaine76 - July 11th, 2005

I prefer the silver or white color in KOTOR 2. I think it would suit a jedi who isn't good or bad, but likes to stay in the gray area.

Lightsaber colors? - patomon5 - July 11th, 2005

floodamy Wrote:i heard that red were for siths,blue were for padawans and green were for masters and o yea purple ,mace got dat since he was a master master and he asks yoda.I really dont kno if dis is throu doe.

This is a first I have heard that Yoda gave permission for Mace to use a purple lightsaber because Mace is a (master master?). If so tells us were you got this little tidbit of information.
Mace(the character) got purple as a request by Samuel L. Jackson(the actor) to GL(the creator). Samuel L. Jackson wanted to stand out in the large battle scenes in the arena of ATOC. He also requested Mace not go out as some punkCry in ROTS. and announced his demise on some late night TV show, either Letterman's, Conan's or Leno's show well before the movie opened.
SAMUEL L. JACKSON=EGO!!!MANIAC!!! good for Him.

Confusedhades:

Lightsaber colors? - patomon5 - July 11th, 2005

floodamy Wrote:I heard it from my brothers but i think they were messin around+im talking bout star wars not the outside part of it.U r talking about why mace got a purple lightsaber from the outside of star wars,but im jus trying 2 say how he got it from star wars.

You should check to see if your brothers are right or if there messing with you before posting. If your brothers are speaking true then you would have the information ,you could tell us were you found that information and we would all be the wiser for it. If you prove your brothers being untrue then you would be one-up on them and your statement wouldn't seem made-up.

:dude:

Lightsaber colors? - Jermaine76 - July 12th, 2005

patomon5 Wrote:This is a first I have heard that Yoda gave permission for Mace to use a purple lightsaber because Mace is a (master master?). If so tells us were you got this little tidbit of information.
Mace(the character) got purple as a request by Samuel L. Jackson(the actor) to GL(the creator). Samuel L. Jackson wanted to stand out in the large battle scenes in the arena of ATOC. He also requested Mace not go out as some punkCry in ROTS. and announced his demise on some late night TV show, either Letterman's, Conan's or Leno's show well before the movie opened.
SAMUEL L. JACKSON=EGO!!!MANIAC!!! good for Him.

Confusedhades:

I saw an interview about 4 years ago with Samuel L. Jackson wanting a purple lightsaber. He also didn't want to go out like a punk in Episode III, but that happened anyway. The only black jedi in the series and he's the FIRST to go out? I thought that he would be the last one to die because I saw a drawing 2 years ago of him having a sword fight against Darth Vader(armored). So I assumed that he would be the last to die.

Lightsaber colors? - Mara Jade Skywalker - July 12th, 2005

RobRoy Wrote:Do lightsaber colors have any significance? Originally, I didn't think so, but then I started to ponder, and I realized that all of the Sith apparently use a red lightsaber. Blue, green and purple are more common among the Jedi than red, although I think I recall one or two reds during ATOC, but admittedly, I have only seen the movie twice, and really wasn't looking.

Thoughts?
The colours are important! For e.g. the blue lightsaber belongs to the Jedi Guardians, the yellow one belongs to the Jedi Sentinels, and the green one to the Jedi Consulars. The purple one i don't really know. I know that only in Master Windu has it.Cool

Lightsaber colors? - Jub-Jub - July 12th, 2005

the colours actually symbolise somethig green is for consular? i think it is, anyway blue is for guardians and yellow is for sentinels
mace has one coz' he does!!!!!!

Lightsaber colors? - Blitzan - July 13th, 2005

OMG is it only me and jub-jub that play KOTOR?????? cause when u become a jedi u make ur own saber...heres how it goes

-Green=a jedi cosular a man who uses his knowledge of the force more than the power of his saber

-Yellow=a jedi sentinel who guards other jedi with their force and their saber...they are pretty well off in both fields

-Blue=a jedi guardian who uses mostley their saber as a weapon of mass force and who mainly only uses their saber

-Red= A sith ....usually a knight or master yet sometimes a padawan

-Purple= Also sith sometimes...but only padawan sith use this color...as well as the greatest saber users in the galaxy use this color

-Orange= a jedi knight who no longer enjoys their original saber color so they switch to this as an alternative...there may also be some more info on this on sum sites...

well that sums it up !:up:

Lightsaber colors? - patomon5 - July 13th, 2005

According to Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, the Jedi were separated into classes -- Guardian, Consular, and Sentinel -- each with their distinct lightsaber colors.
A yellow lightsaber belonged to a Jedi Sentinel;
A blue lightsaber to a Jedi Guardian;
and a green lightsaber to a Jedi Consular.
Also according to KOTOR, each Jedi focuses on different aspects of life.

The Sentinel "ferrets out deceit and injustice, bringing it to light. They strike a balance between the physical and mental disciplines of the Jedi Order."

The Guardian "battles against forces of evil and the dark side. They focus on combat training and masterful use of the lightsaber."

The Consular "seeks to bring balance to the universe. They focus less on physical combat and more on mental disciplines in order to augment their mastery of the Force."

In game playing Kotor 1 when your character arrives on Dantooine you are asked several questions by the Jedi Council in order to determine your character.
A. You can either answer the questions truthfully.
B. You can lie
After answering the questions the council determines your Jedi track, Either Guardian, Sentinal, or Consular.
Afterwards You are given a choice, if you wish to abide by the council or change your track to your own choosing. Once the choice, out of the three tracks, is made you're given a crystal for your saber to match your track. Red is not available until you either find a Red crystal or defeat someone using a red bladed saber farther into the game.
Other crystals past this point of the game become available and can be interchanged for different colors and effects as you progress thru the game.

Kotor2 increases the colors available, and there is no test for your initial saber since your character is already a Jedi, He just needs to find the parts to build it.
Obviously this is not canon, this is a game developed under the scrutiny of Lucasarts. But Lucasarts must oversee that the game company (Bioware) must stay within reason of canon and established EU.

:dude:

Lightsaber colors? - Playwithfire101 - November 22nd, 2005

all i know is that purple is the color of gods, hince why windu has a purple lightsaber.

Lightsaber colors? - Darth Maul - November 23rd, 2005

Has anyone seen the bonus features on the fourth disc in the same box set with the new old episodes? anyway Lucas said there that the colors have little difference...Windu got the purple one becuase a spacial request from Lucas and he made a story that he went searching for something and found it..

Lightsaber colors? - Kwik silver 44 - November 23rd, 2005

So did Windu get it because its the colour of the god or not?

Lightsaber colors? - Saber - November 23rd, 2005

Later in the books, Luke builds Leia a red-bladed lightsaber when she learns to utilize the force. The color of the blade, well on the jedi side anyways, really doesn't seem to matter. Obi-Wan is a Jedi Master in EP III, but he has a blue-bladed saber, so the green saber (master) blue saber (padawan) doesn't hold water. I am pretty sure that Lucas had red in mind for the sith, seeing as how red is the color of passion and emotion, and that is what gives the sith their power and that's the blade color they all have. It's a real interesting topic, but I don't think that color, besides the sith, really means a whole lot.

Lightsaber colors? - Kwik silver 44 - November 23rd, 2005

but is it beacuse Obi Wan wanted to keep his saber blue?

Lightsaber colors? - Saber - November 23rd, 2005

Kwik silver 44 Wrote:but is it beacuse Obi Wan wanted to keep his saber blue?

Not sure really, but from what I read about in the books, they choose the crystals which come from the planet of Llum, that almost seem to call to them. They are drawn to these crystals through the force. The only person that I know of that didn't do it this way is Luke when he builds the saber that he uses in Ep VI. He goes back to Obi-Wan's house on Tatooine and there are detailed instructions on how to build a lightsaber. He stayed there until it was completed, so I don't know if he got the crystals from a stash that Obi-Wan may have had or how he got them.

Lightsaber colors? - Playwithfire101 - November 29th, 2005

no, wrong, Obi wan was never a jedi master, hes a failed jedi master so he still a night in the 4th movie.

Lightsaber colors? - Edpayasugo - December 1st, 2005

Obviously he was a Jedi master, as he was on the Jedi Council and Anakin felt it an outrage that he should be put on the council and not given the rank of master.

Lightsaber colors? - Gwaihir the Windlord - December 3rd, 2005

Edpayasugo Wrote:Obviously he was a Jedi master, as he was on the Jedi Council and Anakin felt it an outrage that he should be put on the council and not given the rank of master.
he was indeed a master for this reason. also if you watch the deleted scenes for ep3 i believe Shaak Ti right before she is killed refers to him as Master Kenobi in reference to his status, unlike Anakins calling him master showing respect to his teacher.

Lightsaber colors? - Pechark - December 5th, 2005

100th POST!

I'm fed up of people going on about Knights of the Old Republic, I must have read 'green=council, blue=guardian and yellow=sentinel' a million times now.

Anyway, has anyone ever thought about attributing colours to styles? Yoda and Qui-Gonn are both Ataru users, and both have green, Blue could be Soresu as Kenobi was a Soresu user, it's a little sketchy, I know, and probably incorrect, but you never know.

Due to the fact that Mace often gets a bit close to the Dark Side with his Vaapad style I always attributed his purple saber as a combination of blue (good) and red (bad) I've always associated red as being bad, and it'll take some big persuading to change that...

Darth Pechark

Lightsaber colors? - Playwithfire101 - December 6th, 2005

i like that idea Pechark