Science Fiction and Fantasy Community Forums

Full Version: Is there a way to become a moderator in this forum or any others?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is there a way to become a moderator in this forum or any others?
Moving to General Feedback.
Yes, but the process is not as simple as just wanting to. Unfortunately, no everyone has the temperment or the dedication to become a moderator. The current administrators, during their duties, watch the forum members as they participate and interact on the boards, and when a position opens up, which is a rare occurance these days, then a forum member who has a high degee of participation, the right temperment, dedication to the forum(s) as well as a number of other factors might be approached and asked if they are interested. I want to stress that this process takes a great deal of time, and quantity of posts is not a guarantee. We have to have a position available as well as the right person for that position.

I hope that answers your question.
Confusticate and bebother me! Now I have to find a new goal in life... :bg:

Jokes aside, I think the moderators on this forum does a great job, and I guess they spend a lot of time doing it for us all.:clap:
Well, first you are fed on ambrosia and nectar, then dunked into the River Styx by a nymph - make sure to remind her to get your heel, too - then placed in a fire to burn away your mortal dross ... :bg:
Quote:Originally posted by Alvin Eriol
Well, first you are fed on ambrosia and nectar, then dunked into the River Styx by a nymph - make sure to remind her to get your heel, too - then placed in a fire to burn away your mortal dross ... :bg:

OK which one of the mods blabbed :mad: Wink
Quote:Originally posted by Stripe
It was Bacchus, I swear.:laugh:
Quote:Originally posted by Stripe

WHAT???! You mean I got it wrong before? You told me it was a secret hand shake...:laugh: :halo:
Quote:Originally posted by Luthien_001
WHAT???! You mean I got it wrong before? You told me it was a secret hand shake...:laugh: :halo:

They told me I had to bring back the head of a snipe, a can of radar blips and some chrome-plated muffler bearings. Took me weeks to get all that stuff together . . .
i read already the moderators from fandom are very helpful and doing a good job.
now i'd like to know what moderators do, then i read this:

Quote:Originally posted by RobRoy
...the process is not as simple... The current administrators, during their duties, watch the forum members as they participate and interact on the boards...

but i dont understand that... Big Grin

moderators watch their thread and what do they do if they find something they dont like in this thread: delete?

can someone tell me, what the job of a moderator is?
Quote:Originally posted by mqx
but i dont understand that... Big Grin

moderators watch their thread and what do they do if they find something they dont like in this thread: delete?

can someone tell me, what the job of a moderator is?

Moderators perform a number of jobs. The first goal of SF-FANDOM is the discussion of the various topics for which we have specific forums. The moderators are part of that goal. They are knowledgeable, though they don't have to be experts, in their forums. Thus, they can help new members who have basic to complex questions, or at least point those people in the right directions. They often post news articles or otherwise help start up discussions by posting questions or asking opinions.

Past that, they read every post on their assigned forums and make certain that the forums are kept safe for everyone to feel comfortable to post. It's not a matter of if they like or don't like something that's posted, but rather whether the post adheres to the SF-FANDOM posting policy. I've seen no end of arguments that I completely and utterly disagree with, however, that doesn't mean they can't or shouldn't be discussed. In fact, they should and can be discussed as SF-FANDOM because of our moderator staff. Almost all opinions are welcome at SF-FANDOM (barring those things defined as inflammatory) and are open for discussion.

When a moderator does come across a posting policy violation, they determine the extent and level through a defined process of the violation, and act according to an outlined set of procedures. Yes, usually the violation is removed, though not exactly deleted. We generally keep a record of those violations in case we see a pattern developing and administrative action needs to be taken. This can include probation, banning from the forums and complaints issued to the person's internet service provider (ISP), which can mean a loss of service from that provider.

Such ultimate administrative actions are extremely rare, and we do not take them lightly.

But for the most part, moderators are simply the security force that patrols the forums and makes certain that everyone is safe, sound and having a good time.
They also make the hors dourves for the annual christmas party.
Quote:Originally posted by BlueDelvia
They also make the hors dourves for the annual christmas party.

And they have to answer the phones and schedule the trips for the super-moderators and the administrators. :bg:
actually I'll advice to keep nagging to become a mod then they evenutally give in:bg: :tongue:
Oh that so doesn't work! :bg: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Quote:Originally posted by Gul
actually I'll advice to keep nagging to become a mod then they evenutally give in:bg: :tongue:

Yes, but then you have to moderate something that no one else wants to . . . like the Orlando Bloom forum. :bg:

Did I say that outloud? :wicked:
Quote:Originally posted by RobRoy
...Past that, they read every post on their assigned forums and make certain that the forums are kept safe for everyone to feel comfortable to post.
But for the most part, moderators are simply the security force that patrols the forums and makes certain that everyone is safe, sound and having a good time.

thanks for the information Smile

but tell me, do you read every post on your assigned forums every day? are you updated every day? and how about holidays? is there always a reserve moderator?
Quote:Originally posted by mqx
thanks for the information Smile

but tell me, do you read every post on your assigned forums every day? are you updated every day? and how about holidays? is there always a reserve moderator?

Yes, the moderator assigned to each forum is required to read every post on the forums everyday. There are a number of ways by which each forum member watches over their forums, but date stamps and highlighting of new posts by the VB is probably the most common. Almost every moderator is highly involved with their forums, which is part of the reason they are chosen.

This even includes holidays or vacation times. Moderators advise the administrators if they are going to be absent so that other moderators can watch over those forums while they're away. Since we have an international team, there is generally several mods who can handle any slack when it occurs.

No, there is really no such thing as a "reserve" moderator. All moderators have assigned forums. Some forums, because of high traffic, have multiple mods. But we don't hold moderators in reserve.
ok now i do understand moderators a bit better Wink
thanks for the info
Glad to help and anytime.
Pages: 1 2