Science Fiction and Fantasy Community Forums

Full Version: Adam West negotiates 'Watchmen' deal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Holy comeback, Batman!
:lol: Now here I was thinking that West himself was in the boardroom, hammering out some arbitration. :bg:

Actually, what I first thought, for a second, was that they had worked some deal for West do do a cameo in the Watchmen movie. Like as some first-generation hero from the 30's that predated the first Watchmen, or maybe as one of the villains they defeated.
august Wrote:Actually, what I first thought, for a second, was that they had worked some deal for West do do a cameo in the Watchmen movie. Like as some first-generation hero from the 30's that predated the first Watchmen, or maybe as one of the villains they defeated.

There is a character like that in Watchmen, the original "Owl." That would have been some clever casting, since Owl, in some ways, is derivative of Batman.
Nite Owl is very much a Batman type of character. No real superpowers,but he has gadgets to compensate. His physical appearance is probably more coincidental than intentional.
Oh, I think they did standard "types" for most of the Watchmen heroes, and then played with the various origins, powers, etc. The Silk Spectre as I recall was very reminiscent of the Black Canary, for example, and they sort of took the 1960's clean-cut tv gadget-driven Batman, and put that into the character of the Owl, and took his crazed vigilante side and gave that to Rorschach. The all-blue guy.... Dr.Manhattan? was that his name? - was sort of a taken-to-the-extremes version of every hero who gets his powers via some explosion or experiment-gone-wrong. And Ozymandias was sort of a spin on the "perfect human" characters like Captain America and Mr. Terrifc (silly Justice Society character.)
august Wrote:Oh, I think they did standard "types" for most of the Watchmen heroes, and then played with the various origins, powers, etc. The Silk Spectre as I recall was very reminiscent of the Black Canary, for example, and they sort of took the 1960's clean-cut tv gadget-driven Batman, and put that into the character of the Owl, and took his crazed vigilante side and gave that to Rorschach. The all-blue guy.... Dr.Manhattan? was that his name? - was sort of a taken-to-the-extremes version of every hero who gets his powers via some explosion or experiment-gone-wrong. And Ozymandias was sort of a spin on the "perfect human" characters like Captain America and Mr. Terrifc (silly Justice Society character.)

Basically, yeah. Since only one person in the story has superpowers (Dr. Manhattan), it wasn't really important to have original characters. They had looked at using characters DC had acquired from buying out Charlton Comics, but since they were already being integrated into the DC Universe, they went with "original" characters instead.

Dr. Manhattan is based on the Charlton character Captain Atom. Rorschach is really based on two of Steve Ditko's creations, The Question, who was also a Charlton character, and Mr. A, a character Ditko published on his own.

I'm not sure, but now that I'm thinking about it, Nite Owl may have been based on Blue Beetle, another Charlton property.

The other characters are very similar to others. The Comedian is visually similar to Nick Fury, a comparison aided by the fact that he works with the government.
You know, now that you mention that, I *had* read that somewhere. And so yeah, the Owl was basically Blue Beetle.... who was basically Batman... Wink
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it meant Adam West actually was involved in the 'Watchmen' project? Then I was picturing him cast as the old, retired Nite Owl...
Alvin Eriol Wrote:When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it meant Adam West actually was involved in the 'Watchmen' project? Then I was picturing him cast as the old, retired Nite Owl...

Me too. West is awesome. Great comedic timing. It would have been a fun cameo. :balloons: