Science Fiction and Fantasy Community Forums

Full Version: Hell Boy II: The Golden Army
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Finally saw this movie tonight. It has almost passed out of the first-run theaters in our area.

I was surprised to see that it is fading so quickly because the movie really is quite good. I think they did a great job with the characterizations and they introduced some interesting new characters (for me -- I have not read the graphic novels).

I was a bit reminded of "Princess Mononoke" by some of the themes in this story. I wonder if there is an inspirational connection there.

I think one of the best scenes was:

To view, use your mouse to select the text:
The scene where Hell Boy and Abe were singing along with the Barry Manilow love song. It gave both characters a surreal "human" quality.

There were certain characters and scenes that reminded me of "Pan's Labyrinth" (which Guillermo del Toro directed). I wonder if he is imprinting a certain shtick across his movies, the way some directors do with consistent homages and references.

It will be interesting to see what else he imprints with these types of images in his upcoming projects.

Ron Perlman's performance was superb. I think he demonstrated (once again) that he can be both over-the-top and emotionally engaging for his audiences.

The special effects were pretty cool, although I didn't see anything that really whelmed me. I guess I was just expecting to see a lot of weird stuff in this movie and I wasn't disappointed. The lack of surprising exploits probably diminished the uniqueness of the special effects work for me.

Still, I really liked the movie. I'm glad I saw it on the big screen first.
Here is an interesting story with some behind-the-scenes information:

[indent]Mike Mignola On ‘Singing Hellboy’ And Guillermo Del Toro’s Story Decisions
Published by Jennifer Vineyard on Tuesday, September 9, 2008 at 2:53 pm.

“That really isn’t my Hellboy,” laughed creator Mike Mignola when asked about the “Hellboy II: the Golden Army” scene our MTV Movies Blog team picked as the summer’s best movie moment. The memorable scene features a drunken Hellboy and Abe Sapien belting out Barry Manilow’s “Can’t Smile Without You.”

It’s a scene that never would have happened in the comics — it was “too emotional,” said Mignola — but it worked for the movie.

“Guillermo del Toro wanted a drunk singing scene,” Mignola said. “I just went, ‘You’re the boss. Whatever you think is going to work.’ I’m shy about those Hellboy-Liz Sherman moments, but he knows how to pull those things off.”

But if it was just intended to be your run-of-the-mill drunk singing scene, why Barry Manilow?[/indent]

Read the full article here

My girlfriend and I loved the singing scene. Fortunately, I'm not an HB purist so it worked for me. I don't know how the purists felt about it.
I liked the original 'Hellboy' film, but haven't seen the 2nd one.
Couldn't make heads or tails out of 'Pan's Labyrinth'.
EDSEL_PK Wrote:I liked the original 'Hellboy' film, but haven't seen the 2nd one.
Couldn't make heads or tails out of 'Pan's Labyrinth'.

Didn't like the first Hellboy. Golden Army was ok. Pan's Labyrinth was freakin' awesome . . . to coin a phrase.
I liked both HB movies but did not like "Pan's Labyrinth".

That's just a matter of personal interests, I guess. Smile
Michael Wrote:I liked both HB movies but did not like "Pan's Labyrinth".

That's just a matter of personal interests, I guess. Smile

Indeed.

What didn't you like about Pan's Labyrinth?
Too depressing for my tastes.
A Superhero Movie forum?! Awesome, when did this get here? :bg:

I liked Hellboy and I really liked Hellboy II. I liked the same scene Michael, for me it just seemed to wrap up the current themes of the movie really well.

I think Prince 'what's his face' (sorry, sorry, I'm really useless sometimes), was an awesome character and I liked the reasoning for why he was doing what he was doing. Sometimes the whole 'I want to destroy the world because I'm badass and evil!' gets old.
Part of my problem -- the main problem, really -- with 'Pan's Labyrinth' was trying to follow the surrealistic story, while simultaneously trying to read the rapid-fire English subtitles.

I know a little Spanish, but not nearly enough to keep up. So I'd flip over and see some neat creature effects, but couldn't put it all together.

The story might be quite good. But I just couldn't follow it.
Luthien_001 Wrote:A Superhero Movie forum?! Awesome, when did this get here? :bg:

It's just a couple of weeks old as I write this.

Quote:I think Prince 'what's his face' (sorry, sorry, I'm really useless sometimes), was an awesome character and I liked the reasoning for why he was doing what he was doing. Sometimes the whole 'I want to destroy the world because I'm badass and evil!' gets old.

I think his backstory was acceptable but maybe they could have given it a little more oomph by showing the other nobles were in conflict over what to do. But I agree that his motive was far better than the usual "I want to conquer the world ...."
Michael Wrote:Too depressing for my tastes.

Even though it ended upbeat? Or did you consider the conclusion to be illusion?

Luthien_001 Wrote:I think Prince 'what's his face' (sorry, sorry, I'm really useless sometimes), was an awesome character and I liked the reasoning for why he was doing what he was doing.

Prince Nuada. He rocks.

Quote:Sometimes the whole 'I want to destroy the world because I'm badass and evil!' gets old.

I think Spike from "Buffy: The Vampire Slayer" had a line that discussed this. Can't remember how it went. I wonder if it was Whedon voicing his disdain for this repetition of theme, even as he used it himself.
The film's ending did not seem so upbeat to me. Sure, the princess went home, but the audience was left to wonder if she was merely having a death dream or if that was really what happened.
EDSEL_PK Wrote:Part of my problem -- the main problem, really -- with 'Pan's Labyrinth' was trying to follow the surrealistic story, while simultaneously trying to read the rapid-fire English subtitles.

This was my problem with The Orphanage. But not with Pan's Labyrinth. I did have the problem with a Chinese wuxia film. I can't remember the name. I switched to the dubbing. It was reasonable. But that's not something I like to do.

Michael Wrote:The film's ending did not seem so upbeat to me. Sure, the princess went home, but the audience was left to wonder if she was merely having a death dream or if that was really what happened.

So you took it as a death dream?

My wife and I discussed it. We decided to take it at face value. There was no evidence to suggest otherwise.
Fantasy Wrote:Prince Nuada. He rocks.

I think Spike from "Buffy: The Vampire Slayer" had a line that discussed this. Can't remember how it went. I wonder if it was Whedon voicing his disdain for this repetition of theme, even as he used it himself.

Prince Nuada, that's it, thanks! And yep, he rocked, totally agree. I loved those fight scenes.

And just for fun: here's your Spike quote (well I think it's the one). . . it's one of my favourite Spike quotes of all time Smile

Quote:We like to talk big, vampires do. "I'm going to destroy the world." It's just tough guy talk. Struttin' around with your friends over a pint of blood. The truth is, I like this world. You've got... dog racing, Manchester United, and you've got people. Billions of people walking around like Happy Meals with legs. It's all right here. But then someone comes along with a vision. With a real... passion for destruction. Angel could pull it off. Goodbye, Piccadilly. Farewell, Leicester bloody Square. You know what I'm saying?
My fave Spike quote, too! :bg:

I'm glad to see some positive talk about Hellboy II. I missed it's theatrical run, but I look forward to catching it on DVD.
Fantasy Wrote:So you took it as a death dream?

My wife and I discussed it. We decided to take it at face value. There was no evidence to suggest otherwise.

I didn't take either way. I'm just not the kind of person who can resolve an ambiguity by rationalizing it into something specific.

There are many unknowns in my worldview.