Science Fiction and Fantasy Community Forums

Full Version: Spiderman 2 vs. Superman 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hmmm, after recently purchasing the new Spiderman DVD and watching Superman 2 again I couldn't help but notice the similaries. Both flicks are awesome and among the best superhero movies ever made IMO. Anyway, I was wondering which one you guys thought was better. My vote goes to Superman. Which one do you like better and why ?
I voted for Spider-Man 2. I liked Superman 2, but I think with the Superman movies, the first is the best, and they start to go downhill from there.

Spider-Man 2, however, I felt was actually much better than the first movie.
Superman 2 just looks too dated these days. I haven't seen it for a long time, so may have to find it on DVD.

Spiderman 2 has such great production values, but probably lacks the number of actual fight/action sequences.

I think I'd tip in favour of Spiderman 2.

~ Matt
Spiderman 2 is actually a ripoff of Superman 2.
Similarites include: Both heros losing their or giving up their powers and both heros having their identities revealed to others etc. SpiderMan 2 is not original in any way, shape or form.
Quote:Originally posted by ThePharoah
Spiderman 2 is actually a ripoff of Superman 2.
Similarites include: Both heros losing their or giving up their powers and both heros having their identities revealed to others etc. SpiderMan 2 is not original in any way, shape or form.

Weeeeell...I think you'll find that that's a common theme by the second or third sequel of any superhero movie series. So maybe not so much a rip off as it is a continued trend.
Liked them both, but I voted for Superman 2.... it's the original.

Spiderman 2 would win for better special effects, but that would be an unfair contest.

Unregistered

This was an awesome movie. I was only about 10 when this came out but I was blown away. General Zod is the icon of what a villian is supposed to be.
Superman 2, great movie!
Spiderman 2 because Superman is too fantastical, spiderman actually seems like it could happen
Quote:Originally posted by Alantriel the Elf
Spiderman 2 because Superman is too fantastical, spiderman actually seems like it could happen

You mean a radioactive genetically enhanced spider whose bite conveys the same super powers along with the ability to spin webbing (though not out of the same area as the spider) and climb walls to a high school graduate, who then becomes a super-hero fighting against a split-personality genuis with low yeild vaporizing grenades and a flying boogie board, versus an alien species who is attacked by similar members of his species?

Superman II is "too fantastical"?

Ok. Smile
Quote:Originally posted by RobRoy
You mean a radioactive genetically enhanced spider whose bite conveys the same super powers along with the ability to spin webbing (though not out of the same area as the spider) and climb walls to a high school graduate, who then becomes a super-hero fighting against a split-personality genuis with low yeild vaporizing grenades and a flying boogie board, versus an alien species who is attacked by similar members of his species?

Superman II is "too fantastical"?

Ok. Smile

yup cause bad stuff actually happens to spiderman whereas Superman gets hit with bullets and its nothing to him. besides Genetic Mutation seems more realistic than all the stuff Superman goes through. And i liked the flying boogie board. I wanted that prop

I have to agree with Rob on this one. Fantastical ? Uh - OK ?
...Rolleyes

Please elaborate on this. In my eyes the Superman 2 story is pretty straight forward with not too many dynamics at all. I must have missed something. Alantriel, have you even seen Superman 2 ? He gets his butt kicked most of the time and he has no powers for a while.
yup cause bad stuff actually happens to spiderman whereas Superman gets hit with bullets and its nothing to him. besides Genetic Mutation seems more realistic than all the stuff Superman goes through. And i liked the flying boogie board. I wanted that prop

I liked it too. But bad things happened to Clark Kent/Superman when he made the choice to give up his powers to be with Lois Lane. All manner of bad things happened because of that choice. While it is never said within Superman, the idea of great responsibility to go with great powers might as well be tatooed to Kent's arm as a precursor to Peter Parker's Spiderman.

Further, given that Kent/Superman is from another planet, I'm far more willing to buy his superpower backstory than I am Peter Parker's (not that either seem overly plausible, but there it is). After all, we're not talking simple genetic manipulation/mutation. We're saying that the poison of a genetically manipulated spider is going to convey all those mutations along with general spider biochemisty and abilities. That the poison itself was never touched by the geneticists/biochemists we'll leave asside. But that all these powers are then conveyed to Parker via the spider's bite?

All of them?

That's a bit of a stretch to the "too fantastical" if we're comparing it with a simple aliens-who-are-different-than-us invasion story.
I have to agree with Rob on this one. Fantastical ? Uh - OK ?
...Rolleyes

Please elaborate on this. In my eyes the Superman 2 story is pretty straight forward with not too many dynamics at all. I must have missed something. Alantriel, have you even seen Superman 2 ? He gets his butt kicked most of the time and he has no powers for a while.

And have you seen spiderman 2? He gets his butt kicked all the time. He has no powers for a while too.
Superman is just too out there for my tastes
Superman is just too out there for my tastes

And that's exactly what it boils down too: personal tastes.

For me, I prefer Spiderman and Spiderman 2 to the Superman series. Of course, I've always preferred almost any character to that of Superman.

But as for "too fantastical", I really do think that Spiderman wins over Superman. The plausibility of an alien-species is real enough. The plausibility of gaining super-spider powers from a genetically enhanced spider through the spider's bite is just too much.
And i still disagree
I still think that mutants are more plausable than aliens
spiderman 2!
And i still disagree

Like I said, personal tastes. I disagree with you as well.

But then it's not a question of genetic mutation being plausible. It's a question of the delivery system of that genetic mutation, and then the results that I find more fantastic than simply aliens affected by their environment differently.

I'm not going to beat this into the ground but I don't remember any "aliens" on Superman 2. The villians on Superman 2 were actually from Supermans own planet and they had the same exact powers as him. I don't think you've even seen Superman 2 or know the story.
I'm not going to beat this into the ground but I don't remember any "aliens" on Superman 2. The villians on Superman 2 were actually from Supermans own planet and they had the same exact powers as him.

'Dems da aliens, Pharoah! If they're from another place (in this case Earth) then they are considered alien to the planet.

Superman, therefore, is an alien. :bg:

Fascinating, therefore, that he's the poster-child for "Truth, Justice and the American Way."
Pages: 1 2